5 Speed Box

shooie811

Yes it is possible but seem to remember you need to cut the hole further back or offset cut a section out and turn it 180 to move existing hole back.

A mate did it on his S reg and never used a 5sp tunnel top and it was fine.

Also the rearmost centre console mounting screw hole is in the same place for all models if I remmember rightly so should help you with where to cut or even aligning a 5sp tunnel top.

Yes it is possible but seem to remember you need to cut the hole further back or offset cut a section out and turn it 180 to move existing hole back.

A mate did it on his S reg and never used a 5sp tunnel top and it was fine.

Also the rearmost centre console mounting screw hole is in the same place for all models if I remmember rightly so should help you with where to cut or even aligning a 5sp tunnel top.

As per Garymanc comment and link, get in touch with Paulmanta on VXOPEL, have seen the conversation that he has done to his Ascona and to a couple of other cars as well.

I will also be using one of his kits on one of my upcoming projects.

John

Yes, I have done this without a Manta tunnel. Did it about 10 years back, still got the scars.

You do need to cut a new hole for the gearlever, and the thing is a right b**** to fit. "Dress the panels back at points of contact" i.e. batter the **$$** out of them with a big hammer to get the box in. Helps to have a mate inside the car with a top rope on the box.

BJ

cheers 4 all the feedback am scarred to attempt it haha i am 17 a dnt hav that much experince wen it cums to cuttn big holes 4 gearboxes an the like does some stuff of the 4speed transfer to the 5 speed like the cluth etc an how much time shud u put aside to carry it out as its my only means of transport cheers

dont cut the tunnel at all, e mail ian goacher he will tell you how much to cut the remote down to make the gear stick come through the original hole so you can use your original centre consul and gearstick for the non modified look. he has full dimentions and pics also to help you on your way. :D

I fitted a 5 speed GTE box to my Mk1 cavalier, yes i fitted the 5 speed tunnel top but i did not have to batter the tunnel to make it fit at all. There is loads of clearance for the gearbox.

Bai Jove, young man, your Cavalier must be made more generously than mine! Clearance on mine was about 5/6 of 9/10 of b**** all.

Oh, Shooie, for what it's worth, it took 2 of us about 8.5 hours to do the conversion with practically no advice or help or notes from anyone (before I joined OMOC). Should take less with paulmanta's good guidance. Like you, it had to be done that day as it was my only transport too.

BJ