Chrome Paint Or Re-Chrome For Bumpers

MickB

As mentioned in the project section I have just stripped rear bumper down. It was painted with a coat of black paint and I have taken it down to what appears the base metal, a brushed aluminium finish. It is in great condition, very clean and shiny after a couple of hours with brasso and baby oil! However the mirror-chrome finish has gone and I was wondering if:

a) Are the spray chrome paints on the market any good?

B) Does anyone know the approximate cost to have both bumpers re-chromed?

Many thanks

Mick

Mick, sorry canny mind where I read sure it was on here some whars, polished stainless bumpers fur sale.

£££s spent on re chromin thi way awe wid gang.Did ma front and over riders on ma auld `A` and managed to buy awe new rear doon Billing a gid few year back finished the car aff fair braw, but yae canny help yur sell polishin them :D tae see yon GLEAM shinin oot und reflected in yur paint work. :thumbup

That seems to be the general price, £250 each. I had a quote yesterday for re-chroming them and they wanted £200 each! May have to keep them as just the very shiny brushed aluminium look. At least they are very shiny, and I can see my face in them as well! cool.gif Just slightly worried that as they are back to what appears to be the base material they may be more prone to rust?

Mick

Chrome plating varies in quality and price from company to company.

Quality of finish is dependant upon the quality of the steel being plated, i.e. a mirror finish chrome plated surface will be needing a mirror finished polished steel part.

You could polish the part yourself and take it to a platers, and I would have paid approx £60.00 for a bumper at the platers I used to use, otherwise you will find vehicle specific platers that will charge you an arm and a leg for a chrome plated finish, but they generally polish the part and copper plate first before plating.

The copper plating fills any discrepancies in the steel before a final polish and chrome plate.