400 Replica Coupe Wanted!

Volksdevil

Aye...I was until i was sent a pic of a 400R that was 'possibly' for sale, got my hopes up a bit and kicked me up the arse in thinking a none 400R is a pretty big compromise as to what id like...

From the pic i was sent, i was already checking the ferry prices, just hoping it was for sale, and hoping it was a good un!

They are obviously out there, albeit in limited numbers, and limited in the fact that not many are for sale. :(

The coupe is still a small possibility i suppose.

Neil? why don't you pick-up yourself a cheap hatch [£500-ish with mot], until the right 400 'pops up'? good oppertunity to learn about mantas, have a wee bit 'fun', until the right car comes up? then sell the hatch on.

Hope you get one soon :thumbup

Cheers,

Keith

Keith, that may not be a bad idea mate. :)

I was considering spending top'ish money on a coupe for now until a 400R came along, but maybe just something that's tatty would be better, i don't know.

Thing is, i just struggle to buy a car that's not mint :rolleyes::lol: And I need the purchase to co-inside with the corrado coming off the road for a bit too, so that's where a manta with a bit more poke/power would be good. Ill miss the corrado too much if something is much more underpowered compared to it. (Unless it's a 400R!)

I don't bloody know... :rolleyes: I just miss the roar of weber 45's from my 16v mk1 golf, but it just wasn't a manta.

Edit:Frigginhell...Just noticed the add is from 2/9/08!!! Why the hell is it still advertised :(

Just been hammering google...and came across this below.

Does anyone know it? Any details on it? It seems to have an opel/possibly owners club sticker in the window?

Also, i was really scanning the pics, and noticed the boot spoiler, part of the rear 1/4? Never seen that beforew i don't think, whats the crack there? :mellow:

Neil.

15990.jpg

15990_1.jpg

15990_2.jpg

15990_3.jpg

Edited by Volksdevil

Neil,

Have you owned a Manta before?.......'cause Keith's suggestion of just getting "a" Manta might get the ball rolling as far as ownership/driving experience goes.

The 400 kitted cars look good,wide stance,flared arches,don't even think about trying to race me type looks.

But the unkitted coupes look like they're styled by a God-still a mean looking car but a bit less obvious.

Now the hatch,cheapest yet but still a Manta. Same handling and a proper Grande-Tourer....you can fit a lot of gear in the back of a hatch.......

My first Manta back in 1992 was a gold Berlinetta Hatch (C700 SSX) and I still look back on this as my favourite..... have had a few more since then,GTE's,coupe's and an A......... Loved them ALL.

I'll cut to the chase........just get out there and buy a F*****" Manta :thumbup

John.

Neil;

Have to echo what Mantajohn400 says about the hatchback manta.

Loads of space, long legs for across Europe and you can do loads of mods as well.......

Mine has a 2.2 engine, Blitz interior, has original Opel Air Con fitted, uprated braking system, 15inch ATS wheels, etc etc and it is brilliant fun to drive.

Also love the Coupe's as well.

John

Cheers lads, appreciate the advice. :thumbup

Steve...Can you please refrain from posting on the forum. :mellow: Every time i see a pic of your motor, i start dribbling mate :lol: Superb looking machine.

Manta400John, It's my dad that has owned countless manta's years ago...It was the first car i ever drove at the age of 11/12 yrs old, he used to take me on the industrial estate, and i've pretty much loved them ever since. Especially as he and a mate used to use a 400R in the thunder saloons and tarmac rallying. So i suppose i have driven them (Oriental blue coupe, 400R hatchback and a black courtney turbo included! :D But quite some time ago lol.

I have to be honest in saying that the hatch never really did it for me, when i ever drew an outline of a car as a kid, it always ended up looking like a manta coupe exclusive from the side. May sound crazy even to you lot, but i just think the 400 is THE best looking car ever built! I can appreciate the hatch, don't get me wrong :thumbup but i suppose im a lot more partial to a coupe.

Ill see what's available as far as cheaper manta's whether coupe or hatch though cheers lads. :)

Cheers lads, appreciate the advice. :thumbup

Steve...Can you please refrain from posting on the forum. :mellow: Every time i see a pic of your motor, i start dribbling mate :lol: Superb looking machine.

Manta400John, It's my dad that has owned countless manta's years ago...It was the first car i ever drove at the age of 11/12 yrs old, he used to take me on the industrial estate, and i've pretty much loved them ever since. Especially as he and a mate used to use a 400R in the thunder saloons and tarmac rallying. So i suppose i have driven them (Oriental blue coupe, 400R hatchback and a black courtney turbo included! :D But quite some time ago lol.

I have to be honest in saying that the hatch never really did it for me, when i ever drew an outline of a car as a kid, it always ended up looking like a manta coupe exclusive from the side. May sound crazy even to you lot, but i just think the 400 is THE best looking car ever built! I can appreciate the hatch, don't get me wrong :thumbup but i suppose im a lot more partial to a coupe.

Ill see what's available as far as cheaper manta's whether coupe or hatch though cheers lads. :)

Are you wanting a road car or a rally car with 400 kit on?

Steve

Steve, did you have something in mind? :)

I was debating whether to sell my rally car,but I think she would be too far from a road car for you!

I also have another 400r rally car,in build at the moment,cage not yet fitted, which could go for a road version,this has been seam welded etc.

Cheers lads...Not really what im looking for though. I hate turbo's! lol, im a high revving N/A man. And the lack of 400 kit/the work needed etc.

Been thinking today...I may throw this big lump of cash at rear wheel driving my mk1 golf instead, just seems that im never gonna find that elusive 400R :( I have had a couple lately where people have given me details of cars that "May be for sale" but they never are.

Neil.

just seems that im never gonna find that elusive 400R :(

Either build one or buy one.

Spending money on something that isn't what you want is a waste.

If you are going to do that do yourself a "Mant D"

Get a Calibra 4x4

Use a Monaro diff and shafts (apparently rest of back end is the same)

And choice of RWD config engine and box

And you have a proper RWD successor

or buy one.

Im trying mate! :lol: I've got a big lump of cash sat here for the right car, but where that right car is i don't know...

The RWD go lf thing has been something i always wanted to do...I even stripped my perfectly road legal one which was ready to go in a magazine, ready for the work to begin, but then put it on hold to look for a manta instead. :unsure:

Aye...I've had the mk1 for around ten years :D Used to play with all sorts in that thing man...Impreza's, type r's and whatnot. Really miss that roar from the 45's :(

It would be typical for that to happen to me though strada...Im just gagging for one or the other really.

Bring my mk1 back to life as a rwd animal (Its been a bare shell for maybe 6 years!) while keeping the Corrado as mydaily transport, or keep looking for the 400R so i can take the corrado off the road for a while (Needs whole new intercooler set up amongst other things)

Neil.

Aye...I've had the mk1 for around ten years biggrin.gif Used to play with all sorts in that thing man...Impreza's, type r's and whatnot. Really miss that roar from the 45's sad.gif

It would be typical for that to happen to me though strada...Im just gagging for one or the other really.

Bring my mk1 back to life as a rwd animal (Its been a bare shell for maybe 6 years!) while keeping the Corrado as mydaily transport, or keep looking for the 400R so i can take the corrado off the road for a while (Needs whole new intercooler set up amongst other things)

Neil.

Dont know if this is any use to you but www.donedeal.ie & search opel manta , a white manta shell resprayed with the 400 kit fitted is up for sale a couple of days .

requires finishing. cant tell from pic how well the kit has been fitted , but sure might be worth a phone call at least.