A-Series Headlights And Backing Plates

tommy manta

can someone please supply me with some headlights for my A-series manta? it's the only thing keeping my long overdue project off the road.

my actual lamps were functioning alright but the plastic adjusters had gone brittle and self destructed so i need the whole lot. than it's MOT time after 2 long years.

based in sunderland, cash waiting!

thanks

I have the backing parts. You may do well to pick up Capri items off eBay to go with them as they are relatively cheap and plentiful. Also Robbie was selling some lamps here a few weeks ago have they gone?

I have the backing parts. You may do well to pick up Capri items off eBay to go with them as they are relatively cheap and plentiful. Also Robbie was selling some lamps here a few weeks ago have they gone?

Are you saying capri headlights will fit a manta A ?

Also Robbie was selling some lamps here a few weeks ago have they gone?

i saw robbies advert apparently it was 4 lamps and 3 backing plates. i just wanna grab the full lot if i can.

i've heard capri lights fit but what's involved? i assume the backing plate will need to be modified as it's flat and on the manta there's a step between the lights.

basically i was trying to fit some 5 series BMW lights with home made adjusters and i've given up which is why i'm on here.

The lamps are retained in the pod by a stainless trim held in place by 3 rusted in screws. Usually the screw head is destroyed when you try to undo them, so you grind them off or use a hacksaw to make a slot for a plain screwdriver.

Remove the trim and the lamp unit comes out.

Installation is the reverse process.

Berlinetta/SR models use H1 lamp fittings. Deluxe and some late cars use H4 fittings or the tungsden lamp equivalent.

You can even get sealed beam units.

If you can use a wire stripper and a crimp tool you can interchange at will. If you go this route buy a decent ratcheting crimp tool not the horrid £5 kit of bits sort.

I have used lamps from a BMW 3 series of the mid 80's vintage and bought new from an autojumble in boxes marked Capri.

Oddly if a box is marked BMW it is worth twice the price of a Ford box. :D

Have a few sets spare still here was keeping plenty of spares as I had 2 A series manta's, Black A series Broadspeed Replica sold now so don't have to keep as many spares :).

Will help if i can but not worried about the spares sitting in the loft.

tel 07708 945757

Edited by Robbie