Any Info On 1600 16V Engine?

Manta_a

Hello

Recently came across a shuvit with a 1600 16v engine in it. Probably a C16xe or X16xe type by the look of it. Fancy going down this route as a bit of achange, plus I know the engines can make 130bhp with a replacement inlet manifold, anyone have any ideas about gearboxes though?

What's the point?

Why tune the 1600 by spending money on a manifold when you can have more than 130bhp from a standard 2.0 Ecotec?

The fitting work is the same so why spend on tuning parts when you can have more BHP and torque from the 2.0 for the same effort and less money.

Now i might be wrong here but the 1600 16V is known as belonging to the 'small block' range of Vauxhall engines and i have been led to believe they have a different bell housing size to the large block range, so the 1600 16v in theory shouldn't bolt to an 1800 Manta gearbox.

Confusingly you can get 1600's in large block as well! has the Chevette owner found an appropiate bell housing or discovered you can put the small 16V head on a large block 1600?

Either way i dont think this would be very good in a Manta, different yes, but a Manta is a larger car that needs as much torque as power so a small screemer of an engine might not work so well.

I can only see one reason to go 1600 16v rather than the c20xe/ecotec

Thats if you're going to be rallying it, and want to be in the lower class (which is done on engine size)

The 16xe can be modified to produce lots of power (although its not cheap) there are a couple of corsa's around with well over 200Bhp from their 1600's :blink:

But if your not doing it for that reason i'd go for a c20xe or Ecotec as the amount of work fitting it will be the same.

Infact i doubt you'll find an off the shelf exhaust manifold for the 1600 into RWD, so the 2.0 will be easier.

Not meaning to sound rude but I didnt ask peoples opinions on using the engine. I appreciate and understand peoples opinions but my reasons for looking at the possibility of this engine are different from what most people would be looking at. I have little interest in out and out performance. I'm more interested in using a more modern and fuel efficient engine and also one that will possible be more friendly with the insurance. Ive worked and used all types of Vaux engines over the years so I know fully the difference in torque/power etc. I also just like the idea of getting away from the standard XE route that is so common. Money is also a major factor so in reality im looking to upgrade to a modern engine that will power the car better than the current 1600 lump that is in it now for as little as possible, thus why I asked if any one knows the gearbox options. Mounts I can make myself and a sump im pretty sure I could get around.

Unfortunately the chap with the chevette knows nothing about the gearbox except he 'thinks' its from a carlton. As one chap mentioned above the 1600 is a small block engine, this is why I dont think it would mate to the 1800 manta box.

its only my opinion but, wont you need to get the car, checked by the dvla, (Long drawn out process) if you downsize, even if its a few cc (my manta) 1.6s 1568cc is full tax, so it might as well have a 2.0.

modern 1.6 are 1548cc or similar, the cut off is 1550cc for tax purposes! you dont need it checked by the dvla if you upsize your engine.

But saying this you could change and not declare it! ( but not wise to do so!)

the 1.8 carlton box, has the same bellhousing as manta 1.8, so it must be a large block 16v 1.6!

As for peoples opinions, this is an open forum, so (we) are entitled too! same as you!!

goodluck, with your engine change!

See now that was a much more informative post. I appreciate its an open forum but these days, not just this forum, all forums seem to have a massive collection of people who are just out to 'bully' or abuse people rather than help them. Really what good is, I dont see the point, and why would you do that?

Anyway, I'm no closer at all. The 16's I have in mind I have found out are small block lumps which puts the manta and carlton boxes out unless there's a bell housing adapter people are using.

The whole downsizing vs upsizing thing with the DVLA sounds very unusual, have you experienced this first hand or is it something you have heard. I live not far from there and have many friends and family who work there so may enquire about that.

Cheers

I'm sure there is a 1600 16v vaux engine in a rally car that is in a rwd setup, i cannot bring to mind where i saw this though :huh:

After a quick search SBD list that their alloy bellhousings for ford gearboxes will fit all vauxhall engines from 1.3 to 3.0v6

So if the smallblock and bigblock engines are different (which i'm unsure of) one of these on a ford box could be your option

Because as far as i know all the rwd opel/vaux gearboxes are for the bigblock engines.

I can't see this conversion being easy or cheap, i'm not saying don't do it as i like different ideas :thumbup

But as its not been done before (to the best of my knowledge) you'll be the first one to find the problems

I'm certain that 1600cc or less are small block engines and anything 1800cc or bigger are big block. EXCEPT the latest 1800 engines such as the X18XE1, these are small block engines.

AndyC should be able to clear this up as he works for vauxhall.

Sounds an interesting project you have on your hands.

I take it from your name you have a Manta A 1.6, if so then a modern 1.6 engine would actualy be a interesting option especialy if pushing out 130 bhp as this has got to be nearly twice as much power as the origanal 1.6 engine.

This coupled with a Manta A being lighter than a later Manta and the better fuel economy of the modern engine over the origanal engine i can see why you are thinking of this option.

Sorry i can't help on the gearbox issue, but if you do go this route then keep us all informed about your project as it would make interesting reading and i look forward to reading about it.

At the end of the day the decision about what engine to use is yours as it is your car.

Welcome to the forum by the way and i hope you get sorted soon.

All the best. :thumbup

Thanks chaps. I also noticed on the SBD website about the Ford bellhousi9ng adapter, but as mentioned that instantly means its not a cheap conversion. I like the idea about the Zetec and type 9 but I'm one of these people that likes to stick to the same brands, anal I know! I shall keep trucking and also trying to get in contact with the chap with Chevette see if he can shed any light on it. Theres no rush at the moment as I have my hands pretty full with another project..

CIMG1473.jpg

BMW E30 V8, not easy!

Just having a look on the Fiche and i think the other way of doing the gear box is to use a 4speed but you would need to look for a 1.3s Manta/Ascona bellhousing as this would have the same bolt pattern

Only problem is the bellhousings are going to be hard to find

Cheers

Andy

We didn't get the low capacity engine Manta's in the UK, i know older manta's had the 1197cc engine but what engine did the latter '1300' Manta's have? if it was the overhead cam type then a gearbox from Europe might be a possibility.

there was a manta 1.3 model produced which is an OHC engine, but a smallblock version unlike the "big block" 1.8 engines, I think the small block castings have also stayed the same like XE's and ecotec 2 liters so a manta 1.3 gearbox wiht smaller bellhousing should be able to bolt up to a 1.6 16v engine, but I'm completely shure off this

the 1.8 box fits the small block engine i am informed, if i can get hold of the corsa boys in the unit next door i will try a spare 1.8 box on the smallblock engine. :thumbup

Edited by rutts