Manta Brake Upgrade Info

Snowy

Hmmm i recognise this one, i even remember drawing it :D

Designed originally by 'Yeha' way way back in 1993 or so

The picture is my rough representation, it doesn't show the 4 bolt holes at 92mm pcd

Also the slight radius on the lower inner edge should be repeated on the ones above for strength

Spacerdrawingforusing16vcalipersand.gif

For those who are unsure what it is, that is a side plan of the alloy spacer that allows you to run Astra 16v discs on the manta.

The 16v disc (also fitted to various other vauxhalls) is 256x24mm but with the wrong offset for the manta

The spacer moves the disc inboard to line it up with the vauxhall calipers from the same car, when fitted to a manta

The disc isn't a direct fit, it requires the centre bore opening up and 4 new mounting holes drilling

so it looks like this:

drilleddisc.jpg

then when you bolt it to the hub with the spacer (using longer high tensile cap-head bolts) you get this

fitteddisc.jpg

Fitted with the matching calipers, gives you much much better brakes, like this

kit.jpg

The downside to this conversion is cost, the alloy spacer and machining time drive it up,

but the nice thing is the availability of cross drilled or grooved or even drilled and grooved aftermarket discs.

The other option is the audi disc (shown in Snowy's 2nd picture above) which is a cheaper kit to do because it doesn't require the spacer.

But so far i haven't been able to find a supplier of decent discs with drilled or grooved options.

I will be machining some Audi discs shortly and will try my best to take pictures of the process and add them here aswell :thumbup

I can not remember where i got that drawing from. I'm glad that you can confirm it is correct though.

Audi discs machined and on manta hubs

Image0116.jpg

Image0115.jpg

Image0113.jpg

Much better than the spacer??? It depends. Once you have machined the spacer the discs are off the shelf. Every time you need new audi discs you are going to have to get them machined.

That saves me taking pictures of the audi disc then :thumbup

Much better than the spacer??? It depends. Once you have machined the spacer the discs are off the shelf. Every time you need new audi discs you are going to have to get them machined.

Err no, the astra disc still needs exactly the same machining as an audi disc does.

But the Astra disc's (in standard plain spec) are half the price of the audi ones.

So its really 6 of one half a dozen of the other between the 2 kist for plain discs.

The audi is cheaper for 1 set, but the replacement discs when they wear out is the same cost

Whereas the astra replacement discs are much much cheaper than the original full kit.

Brilliant posting lads :thumbup

mantasrme? which type would you recommend? for someone whos lucky to cover 2000 miles per year? (cost wise vs performance)

The one in Snowys hand looks good :D

Anyone on here do them in idiot form? ;)

Cheers,

keith

ps for ronal wheels

Edited by keith1200

Opel2000:

I haven't had any spacers made for a long while, but i have the plans and can check with my engineer on price for you.

Are you planning to run the calibra turbo calipers?

If so are they the earlier calipers for the 284x24mm discs (the later were larger 288mm discs)

Because there's another disc option out there, the Ford sieera cosworth 2wd front discs which are 283x24mm have the right offset for the manta

so only need the centre bore enlarging and 4 holes drilling which makes them much cheaper than needing spacers made up.

Keith1200:

Both the Audi and Astra discs will fit under the standard 14" ronals

For that low a yearly mileage i'd go for the audi ones and keep the price down.

That is unless its a high performance/ trackday car then i would go for the Astra setup for the better quality/uprated discs available

As for someone who makes them i have 2 or 3 sets to make, for people and projects i have in build so i'm sure i can sort out another set ;)

Cosworth or xr4x4 284mm discs with cally t or vectra v6 calipers, top brakes for pennies, work great, good feel, progression and stopping power

manconafrontbrakes-1.jpg

From their go up to 4 pot ( i don't like the volvo 240 ones )

mine are m3 discs ( small now at 300 mm ) and lancia integralle ( do you spell it like that? don't care about the rot boxes) brembo calipers :thumbup

Picture_0113-1.jpg

Opel2000:

I haven't had any spacers made for a long while, but i have the plans and can check with my engineer on price for you.

Are you planning to run the calibra turbo calipers?

If so are they the earlier calipers for the 284x24mm discs (the later were larger 288mm discs)

Because there's another disc option out there, the Ford sieera cosworth 2wd front discs which are 283x24mm have the right offset for the manta

so only need the centre bore enlarging and 4 holes drilling which makes them much cheaper than needing spacers made up.

Dave you are an absolute minefield of useful information.

Yes I am using the earlier Cally turbo calipers and top marks for knowing the difference yet alone the sizes to boot

I just looked up the 2WD Cossie discs, and are available at an absolute bargain price of £21.70 a piece.

Many thanks mate :thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

Cool, I now have some Cossie discs winging their way to me, total cost with the VAT and delivery comes to £58.00 quite pleased with that really...

Even better is to see that this is still a damn good site, with some damn excellent users on here, big thumbs up to Kev David and Graham (Kevin Abbot, Mantasrme and Snowy) :thumbup:thumbup

Dave you are an absolute minefield of useful information.

Yes I am using the earlier Cally turbo calipers and top marks for knowing the difference yet alone the sizes to boot

I just looked up the 2WD Cossie discs, and are available at an absolute bargain price of £21.70 a piece.

Many thanks mate :thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

Always happy to help share what i know (should that be what little i know :unsure: )

What are you planning for the rear brakes Clive?

When i tried the calibra turbo front brakes years ago i found they showed up the poor back brakes

Although the rear brakes on that coupe were pretty poor anyway <_<