Rear Break Drum Problems

stagcar

Hi All,

I have just come to remove the rear break drums and they are rusted on!

I have sprayed WD40 everywhere and left it for some weeks allso hit with large hammer still to no avail

Its not stuck on the breaks its just rusted on the end of the drive shaft

Any ideas? or is it time to cut them off with the grinder?

Thanks

Derek

Sometimes a small lip can be on drum between shoe and outer edge stopping removal.

If shoes are fully backed off and drum is stubborn to move forward and off I do:

1.Make sure rear of drum to back plate is clear rust/damage

2.Would also soak WD and if self adjusting drums on place some

internal side through adjuster hole, would also soak with

awe tad diesel as is a great penatrator.

3.A good rubber mallet or baw pain but be carefull when hitting

drum as can shatter/crack

4.Sometimes awe tad heat added to drum will let it pop off when

hitting with awe hammer / hit and turn drum at same time.

5. Awe smaw drop copper slip on rear owe drum helps stop

things sticking.

6. Also at times you may find the shoes will move forward and

slightly jam the drum removal also.

7. GRINDER WOULD BI MI VERY LAST RESORT

If its not moving at all and you are sure they are not catching on the shoes knock some wedges in around the gap at the back between the drum and the back plate chisels normally work just so it puts a little pressure on it to push it off then get the mallet out and knock around the centre that normally works if it doesnt a bit of heat and as Rab says grinder is last resort.

Might seem like a silly question! Can you rotate the hub? If so, follow the advice above.

As for grinding off? I've heard of cars sitting about (never moved) for years and I've never heard of anyone

grinding off hubs! i'm not saying it hasn't been done before, it's just VERY rare. If you still can't get them

off? get a set off 'fresh eyes' to have a look? weetabixs might help also :D

GL

Keith

Blow torch and BFO hammer. Works a charm. :thumbup

Hi all

Thanks for all the great responses

Yep its stuck on the canter of the drive shaft for sure the drum rotates free and it not binding on the shoes

I will try the get it hot and hit it with a big hammer trick weekend

Thanks again

Derek

I've never heard of anyone grinding off hubs!

Still haven't, it's drums.

I made this:

puller.jpg

To do this:

Drum1.jpg

Drum2.jpg

Without damaging back plates.

I should have just ground the corner off the disk top hat near the front face, then I would have been able to get it off without bending the auto adjusters by pulling the front off the drive shaft then releasing the shoe retaining springs.

Curiously I've rarely had drums stick on solid (this axle sat outside for 7 years) except for those that weren't original drums.

ive had this many times as im sure many owners will also. the centre of the drum can be a tight fit on the axle shaft .

a good clout with a heavy hammer on the FRONT FACE of the drum at the OUTER edge has never failed me yet !

Yep thats the way to do it always worked for me too! :thumbup

pulling them from the back just seems to make them even tighter.

That does seem to be the case. However, sometimes yoiu have to acknowledge that if the original poster has soaked it and thumped it that they already have probably covered thumping it every which way before asking at which point you need other options.

I had this problem with my Manta twenty odd years ago, and believe it was caused by over tightening the wheel nuts with an air wrench, not by myself, may I add!! I might be wrong but by dogging the wheel nuts up in that fashion, you acctually spread the metal of the drum so that it reduces the diameter of the hole in the centre, causing it to tighten up against the axle half shaft, so when you do eventually drag them off make sure you run a file around the iside of hole, so that when you put the drum back on it has enough clearence to slide over the axle shaft. Some commercial vehicles have a couple of tapped holes in the face of the drum so that you can screw a bolt into them and push the drum off, I rest my case!!

Edited by Julian

I'm nah going tae lick up your butt coz I ken your brilliant :P:lol: (pun)

Seriously? first time I've seen a Scissor-jack being put to good use :thumbup

stagcar? everyone has different 'skill' abilities, I assumed, when you

mentioned 'grinding' it off, you didn't know much about Mantas.

I use my Manta regularly and still, I've wasted 10-15 mins [june past] on moving the hubs drums.

As posted above, give them a good 'f**king' kick-in/hammering :thumbup mind put the wheel nuts back on first (protect-threads)

and watch the cars body work.

GL

Keith

LOL

And then another jack (similar to a Manta jack) had the top cut off, add some studding and use to pull half shafts

shaftpull.jpg

Making good use of the things that I find since 1976

Love your improvised tools Doc :thumbup

Could be a new thread?

EDIT, love the hammer, what did you add it to the second pic for?

Edited by Kevin Abbott

only a guess kev but i would say the hammer was used to tighten a improvised torniquet (not sure thats spelt right)with a loop to locate it when tight enough to locate the claws on the drum

edit beaten to it as always :lol:

Edited by pat

no , think it may be a faulty drive , but the other 2 spares i have are apparantly now unstable as they just bluescreen the bugger :angry: , still it was fun trying. if fun usually involves swearing regularly , Oh course it does its a car forum :blink:

Still haven't, it's drums.

I made this:

puller.jpg

To do this:

Drum1.jpg

Drum2.jpg

Without damaging back plates.

I should have just ground the corner off the disk top hat near the front face, then I would have been able to get it off without bending the auto adjusters by pulling the front off the drive shaft then releasing the shoe retaining springs.

Curiously I've rarely had drums stick on solid (this axle sat outside for 7 years) except for those that weren't original drums.

Now thats class mate way to go!

I have managed to get the bugger of in one bit without using the grinder LOL

Looks like i was wimping on the hammer so a club hammer and a few good swings got it on the move

Cheers again

Derek