Manta Rebuild Saved From Scrap

stagcar

I have managed to dig out some pictures of the manta V8 project that i have been working on for a few years now.

Its got an ex army rebuilt rover v8 in it with a hot cam and valve gear also got a nice new edelbrook and holley vac secondry carb to fit so it should be nice when done!

The original CIH was ill and would have needed a rebuild so i dident feel that bad about ripping it out.

It will never be a show car and i dont want it to be (good excuse not to spend hours sorting the shell) LOL

The manta has been in the family for about 15 years or so and it was one of my first cars i then passed it over to my sister that loved it for abut 3 years untill it failed its MOT on rot

After that it sat on there farm for a about 6 years just rusting away so i decided to get it and do somthing with it rather then it getting scrapped.

here is a few pictures just to outline the work that has been done and to highlight the rust.

BacksillRotInnerAndouter.jpg

Rusty Rear sill inner outer and middle

Rustholeinroof.jpg

Now got a big plate over the lot not ideal but it will do untill i get a nice second hand roof

08102008118.jpg

Patchwork inner wing with a fresh coat of hammerite

DSC00392.jpg

This is all welded and painted now with a new lip to mount the wing on.

08102008122.jpg

Back arch and sill done and painted to stop rust.

IMG_0259.jpg

Almost looks like a manta in this shot LOL

well that's about it for now

Got the new starter today so may just plumb it all up and see it it runs weekend if the kids and wife will let me get near it.

Cheers

Derek

Stagcar? roof wise? I'd wipp-out the front windscreen, removing all the steel sunroof bits 'from the inside'.

Wee trip to scrap yards and get a glass sunroof from a renault clio (£20 max) big sunroof.

Measure up glass sunroof, then drill 6-8 holes, then using a very fine jigsaw blade, cut slowly from one hole to the other

after cutting the roof temporay fit sunroof. Spot weld a plate on the inside of roof panel (as show on your picture) the use filler to get roof shape back. You should be able to get use of car (roof wise) until a spare roof shows up

GL :thumbup

Picture013.jpg

DSCI0054-2.jpg

DSCI0053.jpg

Edited by keith1200

Nice work so far mate, I love seeing V8 mantas as my second one I've completely given up on, so it makes me feel glad to see some getting worked on. I do have a non sunroof coupe roof available, but I think Keith's suggested sunroof swap would suit this better as it's not intended to have a show car finish. You could even opt for a large webasto to be able to chop out loads of the damged area and then tell people it was all an intention :D Out of curiosity, what's that big arm thing above the water pump near to where the alternator usually goes?

Nice work so far mate, I love seeing V8 mantas as my second one I've completely given up on, so it makes me feel glad to see some getting worked on. I do have a non sunroof coupe roof available, but I think Keith's suggested sunroof swap would suit this better as it's not intended to have a show car finish. You could even opt for a large webasto to be able to chop out loads of the damged area and then tell people it was all an intention :D Out of curiosity, what's that big arm thing above the water pump near to where the alternator usually goes?

Thanks for all the good words.

Yes the roof rot goes well back. At the moment i have welded some box section in the where the old sun roof was just to add a bit more rigidity then seem welded a sheet of steel over the old sunroof hole it dosent look that bad as it goes. I have got a black vinal roof covering kit that would cover it all in after a good coat of hammerite but it may just look a bit to ford for my liking :D still it may be worh a look later on.

As for the strange arm thing its a mount used on the 101 forward control think it was some sort of top engine mount or a mount for the big old air box thing, i thought i would keep it on there for a hood support or some thing silly like that.

as for the car well i got the new starter fitted and turned the engine over for the first time ever and it was not happy! it turns out that i had forgot to attach the engine earth strap and in turn the engine was earthing through the clutch pipe:o that got very very hot very quickly! any way fitted the strap and it seems to turn over nicley:thumbup

I have just got to sort out the wiring for the coil ballast resistor and push button starter so should have this wrapped up in the next week or so if i get chance.

I would have used the original manta loom but i don't trust it and it was problematic when it had the old CIH fitted but i think this was mostly down the the fuel pump wiring that used to melt fuses

Thanks for all the good advice

Cheers

Derek

• 1 month later...

Stupid question, could you put up a picture of where your engine earth strap is for me please. Ive had intermittant starting for ages that has gradually got worse. Now it wont start. Ive changed the black ignition box twice now without any real luck.

Cheers and sorry for the hijack.

Stagcar? roof wise? I'd wipp-out the front windscreen, removing all the steel sunroof bits 'from the inside'.

Wee trip to scrap yards and get a glass sunroof from a renault clio (£20 max) big sunroof.

Measure up glass sunroof, then drill 6-8 holes, then using a very fine jigsaw blade, cut slowly from one hole to the other

after cutting the roof temporay fit sunroof. Spot weld a plate on the inside of roof panel (as show on your picture) the use filler to get roof shape back. You should be able to get use of car (roof wise) until a spare roof shows up

GL thumbsup.gif

Picture013.jpg

DSCI0054-2.jpg

DSCI0053.jpg

Keith what model clio is this type sunroof from? just wondered if it was from an early/late type as im considering doing this before my roof gets any worse. its not to bad at the mo but im more than aware what lurks underneath. cheers paulthumbsup.gif

Paul, removed from an 1997-2000 model. I reckon it's the same sunroof (throughout range).

If you need any advice/pointers? pm me (i'll help, if I can)

Cheers,

Keith

Cheers keith i will do ,im not planning to do it within the next month or maybe more but could well be a fantastic solution for me.

ive been measuring various sunroofs on my many scrapyard trips so when i next go i shall have a look now i know what model ( im not to well up on renault things)

kind regards paul