Alternator

BoXXerRACE

My alternator has decided to pack with all the cold Weather, at first i thought it was the battery becuase it would still bumpstart and run on its own, so £70 and 2 days later its packed in again so it has to be the altenator. it almost runs with lights, radio, heaters all off but its backfiring and shaking horribly, i can't even indicate without it cutting out. Basicly i'm going to the scrappy to get another alternator this weekend and i need to know what to look for. Any idea what make/model cars will have a compatible parts, or will at least get me going again until after xmas? oh yer and its a 2.0L GTE exclusive.

basically to get the mounting bracket in the correct place you will need one from any cam in head engined gm car. be it ascona,manta,cav mk1,carlton 78-86,(also senator,monza). (although if you get one of these you may need the mounting bracket as well.)dont get one from a family 2 ohc engine .they will physically fit but the tensioner arm part is in a different place.

no doubt some one on here can tell you other manufacttures cars that may fit perfectly as well or try & look in a shops catalogue or even on an ebay listing as it may list models to try.

My alternator has decided to pack with all the cold Weather, at first i thought it was the battery becuase it would still bumpstart and run on its own, so £70 and 2 days later its packed in again so it has to be the altenator. it almost runs with lights, radio, heaters all off but its backfiring and shaking horribly, i can't even indicate without it cutting out. Basicly i'm going to the scrappy to get another alternator this weekend and i need to know what to look for. Any idea what make/model cars will have a compatible parts, or will at least get me going again until after xmas? oh yer and its a 2.0L GTE exclusive.

Don't bother with a scrappy as you'll probably get on in as bad a condition as yours. Find a decent auto electrical place and get a refurb done, they may even have one in stock. Mate of mine had one done for a Dolly sprint and it was about 50 quid with a 12 month warranty.Last one i had done was for the Transit and that was 70 quid exchange.

I've done the brushes on my alternators before not a big job just a bit fiddly and that seems to be the biggest failure with the CIH ones, the brushes wear down and then won't make contact. Diode packs go on them but i usually go and see the guys at the local place and they test them for free and tell you whats wrong.

HTH

Chris

Does the battery warning light still come on with the ignition? The bulb needs to be good for the alternator to have a chance of working. Also check the small earth strap at the alt body and the main engine to body strap....and the battery to body strap. The same goes for the rest of the circuit, check for any corrosion or crustiness on connections between the battery and alternator.

The charging system is easy to check with the most basic of multimeters. Try Halfords for an "electrics" book and you're sorted :thumbup

John.

when the alternator packed up on my 2.7 Exclusive, i bought a higher capacity one, (75 amps) from universal-alternators.co.uk for &65 + delivery. they can supply up to 150 amps, and i've had no problems with mine since it was installed in the summer. try Chris Smith on chris@universal.uk.com or tel. 01992 524548.

highly recommended.

Danny

Any good motor factor will be able to give you a choice of alternator suitable for your car in various outputs. Due to manufacturers buying these things in and economies of scale there will be many models with the correct offsets.

The only inconvenience you are likely to suffer is altering your terminals to fit.

If your lucky you might be able to find a twelve valve (6 cylinder) Senator being broken/scrapped. these have a 95 amp alternator which means you can drive on a rainy cold night and still have the radio on!

As well as the Alternator you will need the mounting bracket,the tensioner (much superior screw adjustment type) and the wire ends that plug into the Alternator which will need soldering to the Manta Alternator wires.

If your lucky you might be able to find a twelve valve (6 cylinder) Senator being broken/scrapped. these have a 95 amp alternator which means you can drive on a rainy cold night and still have the radio on!

As well as the Alternator you will need the mounting bracket,the tensioner (much superior screw adjustment type) and the wire ends that plug into the Alternator which will need soldering to the Manta Alternator wires.

But then you would really need one off a Senator that had luckily had a recent alternator as after years of use that might be down to the easily available output of a smaller, lighter, more efficient and modern new / exchange one.

Been down some of these upgrade routes in the mid 90s with dissapointing results, get a high output new guaranteed one.