Engines That Bolt Straight Into Manta's

mantaboy89

Does anyone know if there are any engine that bolt straight into mantas apart from the obvious, i know this sounds a bit of a stupid question but my manta engine gone kaput and cant seem to find a 2.0 ltr CIH engine close enough so am lookin for an alternative, lol

if anyone can help or knows for a 2.0 ltr CIH thats running close to south wales please mail me,

thanks

josh

Edited by mantaboy89

If you mean on the same box and mounting brackets then you're a bit limited to other CIH's. It's the same with the 1.8S, you're limited to other OHC engines but of course there's a massive range of them.

What is kaput about your current engine, would a rebuild be out of the question?

re-build out of the question for now as it would take too much time to strip and inspect ,order parts wait for them and then re-build. i off the road completely right now and dont currently have acsses to a garage so an engine is needed, i then have the intention of re-building the knackered engine and tuning it.

Anyone know what i can get out of a 2.0 ltr CIH if tuned properly?

josh

re-build out of the question for now as it would take too much time to strip and inspect ,order parts wait for them and then re-build. i off the road completely right now and dont currently have acsses to a garage so an engine is needed, i then have the intention of re-building the knackered engine and tuning it.

Anyone know what i can get out of a 2.0 ltr CIH if tuned properly?

josh

With std pistons you can only go up to a 234 kent cam, or other with equivalent lift. With 2.2/2.4 inlet valves fitted to the 2.0 head and ported, 234 cam kit, vernier wheel, lightened/balanced, 40's (pref 45's) std manifold, 21/4 exhaust, std pistons and a lightened flywheel you should get 155-160bhp BUT you will have to get it rolling roaded to tune it to this point. I have one to this spec but before to rolling road session it was about 20bhp down on that figure.

Be aware that std stuff is not that easy to get hold of and pistons/rings seem to be expensive for what they are. I would get hold of a set of forged pistons from Wossner, about 100 quid each and fit them. You can then use wilder cams as the valve pockets are deeper and the comp ratio is bumped up so you can get more power.

There are lads in sweden getting close to 200 with the 2.0 but they are well tuned. Look towards a higher capacity 2.2/2.4 if you want to go silly!!!

I'm in the process of building a long stroke 2.3 which uses 2.2 crank, 2.4 rods and custom pistons and also a 2.5. So you can do quite a bit with these motors. Most seem to bung in a XE but i'm still old school. I have driven motors with XE's in but i prefer the grunt that the cih has, plus when i'm racing with an old CIH and you can give an XE a thrashing it's more fun.

hth

Chris

Standard new pistons are available as well as new cranks and bearings, picked up a set last year.

Will have a word with Keith tomorrow and see if he has anymore sitting around in the warehouse.

I have in stock a couple of lightened flywheels.

As i am no expert would it not be easier to get a second hand 2.2 head and bolt it on the 2.0 engine.

John

Standard new pistons are available as well as new cranks and bearings, picked up a set last year.

Will have a word with Keith tomorrow and see if he has anymore sitting around in the warehouse.

I have in stock a couple of lightened flywheels.

As i am no expert would it not be easier to get a second hand 2.2 head and bolt it on the 2.0 engine.

John

Would be good to know the price of std pistons to compare to forged ones.

As for the 2.2 heads, yes you will get better flow but the comp ratio will change and the cut out sizes in the pistons are for a smaller dia valve so a little work is sometimes needed there. Also if you want to use 40/45's or throttle bodies the inlet manifold is diferent. Mine for the 2.5 cost 288 inc vat/ etc whereas you can pick up the std 2.0 item for peanuts. better putting the money into the 2.0 head for milder tuning IMHO

HTH

Chris

To be fair the 1.7 has a few more redeeming features (well, a bit anyway) than the 2.3!!!

I drove a van with a non-turbo 2.3 carlton diesel in it, my god it was so slow it was just unbelievable!! 25mph on the M6 towing the rally car at midnight going up over Shap summit, being passed by artics doing 56..............scary:o:o:o