Irmscher Steering Wheel Boss

Leon

I currently have an Irmscher wheel in my hatch:

Manta09.jpg

You can't tell from that pic but the leather is absolutely knackered and on cold mornings I get hands covered in black gunk peeling off it.

So as a temporary measure I've got a suede wheel to replace it, this isn't the same one but very similar

sparco368suede1.jpg

As you can see, the bolt pattern is identical, but it's rotated by a few degrees. I don't really want to have to buy a new boss, can the Irmscher one be removed and slotted back on a few degrees round?

Edited by Leon

Or if it is just a temporary thing then you could bolt the wheel on and it'd be on the piss, looks daft but still safe to drive. Then if you do find another irmscher wheel or have yours re-covered then you won't have to faff around with the boss.

Aye but the indicators will cancel in a different position.(30degrees from where they should)

John.

That's what I thought. I can live with that!

Or if it is just a temporary thing then you could bolt the wheel on and it'd be on the piss, looks daft but still safe to drive. Then if you do find another irmscher wheel or have yours re-covered then you won't have to faff around with the boss.

True - it's likely to be at least a semi-permanent change though and I'm sure it'd piss me off after a while

Just be careful when you take the old steering wheel off.....I almost broke my nose doing this job a few years ago!! :blink:

Been there, done that, learnt the hard way on my first car!

sand your old one down with a scotchbrite pad and a couple off tins off shoe polish should see a improvement :thumbup

Well I tried sealing it with some leather/suede protector but it still comes off in loads of little black blobs. I do like the wheel so I'd prefer to get it recovered in suede or alcantara - anyone had this done?

Aye, make sure the nut's still on a couple of threads.

Can mind when I was an apprentice their was a special GM puller for taking steering wheels off-overkill or what!

I've never been able to pull a wheel off with it's boss by hand, surprising as my wrists should be very stong by now, know what I mean :lol:

Aye, make sure the nut's still on a couple of threads.

Can mind when I was an apprentice their was a special GM puller for taking steering wheels off-overkill or what!

There still is. I have one. Would never have got my Calibra wheel off without it! :thumbup

Available from most good car tool shops

you have to get out the original hub and redrill it with new wholes,the same as your new alcandara steering wheel.Otherwise it wont fit

Well lads, unfortunately our Greek correspondent is quite right

The Irmscher PCD is ever so slightly larger than the OMP/Sparco/Momo PCD! We are talking a mm or 2 difference but it's enough to make the difference.

To make things worse I can't seem to find a reasonably priced boss to fit the new wheel either :(

Time to see if someone can make me a boss I think!

All sorted! Had a sudden moment of realisation and drilled my existing boss to suit the new wheel.

So now I have threaded holes if I want the Irmscher wheel back, and new holes with nuts behind them if I want to use the suede wheel

Manta173.jpg

The boss seems to be made of pretty soft metal - it only took 10-15 seconds of hard pressure with an HSS bit to go right through. I used a cordless drill and even then it made short work of it. Lots of swarf to clean up now!

To get it as accurate as possible, first I put the Irmscher wheel on a piece of paper, marking the holes and then crossing them to give me a centre point. Then I laid the OMP style wheel on a piece of paper and did the same. Cut both out and laid one on top of the other so I had the centre points matching.

Laid the "template" over the boss by lining up the irmscher holes and centre punched where the new holes would go. Sounds a faff but it took all of 10 minutes.

Only hard part is that you need to get a spanner on the nut to tighten each one up, which is very hard with the rubber boot still in place on the boss. I have left the boot off for now but I reckon if I heat it up with a hairdrier while it's in place, I'd be able to bend it back far enough to get a spanner on.

The boss seems to be made of pretty soft metal - it only took 10-15 seconds of hard pressure with an HSS bit to go right through. I used a cordless drill and even then it made short work of it. Lots of swarf to clean up now!

To get it as accurate as possible, first I put the Irmscher wheel on a piece of paper, marking the holes and then crossing them to give me a centre point. Then I laid the OMP style wheel on a piece of paper and did the same. Cut both out and laid one on top of the other so I had the centre points matching.

Laid the "template" over the boss by lining up the irmscher holes and centre punched where the new holes would go. Sounds a faff but it took all of 10 minutes.

Only hard part is that you need to get a spanner on the nut to tighten each one up, which is very hard with the rubber boot still in place on the boss. I have left the boot off for now but I reckon if I heat it up with a hairdrier while it's in place, I'd be able to bend it back far enough to get a spanner on.

Cheers for the info Leon.

Have a Happy New Year.

Ta,

Deano.