My Opel Manta A 1.9S Luxus (1973)

costasa

Hello to every one,

My name is Samuel and i'm writing from Portugal.

This is my Opel Manta A 1.9s Luxus from 1973

I bought this car in 2008 and i'm doing all the restoration, i'm a little slow in the process but this is my anti-stress is to do with no rush and to enjoy all the moments.

1237_Imagem1.jpg

1237_Imagem2.jpg

1237_Imagem3.jpg

Pictures from the add wen i bought the car.

DSC01327.jpg

DSC01423.jpg

DSC01863.jpg

At home in the process off restoration.

DSC01417.jpg

DSC01658.jpg

DSC01722.jpg

The body looks to be in good shape

The car was restored before in some parts the floor and then painted, the original color was grey (i only discover that wen i take off the heater blower) and the color that it have now is a blue that looks grey

My intention is to strip down all the panels and body treat all rust and painting maybe in monzablue

I have some doughts what to do in engine but that i will put in the tech help

Cheers

Hello and welcome.

Your car dose look in good condition, you don't seem to suffer the rust problems as much as we do in the UK. thumbsup.gif

Good look with the work and please keep the pictures coming as you progress.

Thanks smile.gif

The progress will be slow but i will try to put pictures and update

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to take of the engine, now i will strip the front suport sandblast and paint

here is a picture that i take with my cell(sorry the bad quality)

DSC00649.jpg

Now i want to do a suport to engine with some wheels to move it arround. After that i will dismantle the rear axel and try to do a roll over to treat the bottons of the manta

Some stuff that i bought in ebay

exaustcenterAnsa.jpgexaustrearAnsa.jpg

Ansa sport exaust center and rear with 2'' pipe

• 3 weeks later...

Some more advance in my Manta

frontaxle.jpg

Time to dismantle the front axle, but the problem was to take off the tie rod ends, i put wd40 give with the hammer and nothing.

In another day i find in a store a tool to take of the tie rod ends, and to my surprise it was so quick and easy i was laugh.gif .

ferramenta_saca.jpg

The tool in action

saca_rotulas.jpg

The tool

Front.jpg

Storing the parts to prepare to go to the blast, but first i have to take off some bushes that for nothing want to come out and the tie rod in the under arms (i hope to find a easy tool like the other lol)

Edited by costasa

• 4 weeks later...

Today i take care the direction

direcorotula02.jpgdirecorotula01.jpg

The direction with the looseness tie rod

direco01.jpgdireco02.jpg

I clean the direction and put the new tie rods

direco03.jpgdireco04.jpg

The direction with the steering rack gaiter and the tie rod ends

Edited by costasa

Hi Samuel,

Your Manta looks very solid, and well worthy of restoration. I'm sure it's going to look great.

I notice you have removed the front anti-roll bar -"sway bar" to use the American term- from the front lower suspension arms. I have always found this task very difficult and sometimes impossible without destroying the bushes in the lower suspension arms. How did you separate the bar from within the bushes?

Looking very good, the shell looks great too ........ you're so lucky. Keep up the great standard.

Hello Simon p,

Thanks, the shell is good but i have some parts with rust and rott but very specific places like a front arm, boot floor i will put some pictures, but in general is very good.

bom dia samuel that project looks realy good and the work you have been doing is first class . it would be nice to see your progress thumbsup.gif are you painting it yourself ??obrigado lee

Hello Lee,

Please to see that you don't forget the portugese wordsbiggrin.gif

Thanks, i'm trying to do my best, i don't put any deadline to finish my manta so i will try to do the best i know and euros allow.

I think to paint but i don't know if i have the conditions that is need so i probabily will send the car to a paintshop.

Thanks

Costa

Hi Samuel,

Your Manta looks very solid, and well worthy of restoration. I'm sure it's going to look great.

I notice you have removed the front anti-roll bar -"sway bar" to use the American term- from the front lower suspension arms. I have always found this task very difficult and sometimes impossible without destroying the bushes in the lower suspension arms. How did you separate the bar from within the bushes?

Hi Paul,

Thanks in general is a good manta i will try to do my best.

The bushes where very used and slight damaged so it came off very easy, i think that the previous owner maibe take it off but don't do a good job.

Thanks

Costa

nice manta A samuel looks quite rust free, good look with the project carnt wait to see it progress thumbsup.gif

Thanks

In general the car is good, but i have some rust and some specific rott i will try to take and put here some pictures.

Thanks

Costa

Hi Samuel ,

Nice to see some great shots of yours ongoing ,looks like your about same way through your project as mine.Keep pics coming thumbsup.gif

Hi rayman

Your project is very interesting and is good to see manta A in restoration i take ideas and i learn a lot.

I will put more pictures.

Thanks

Costa

• 2 weeks later...

Olá amigo,

E esta hemmmmm? eu a mandar coments no teu post Uk!!!biggrin.gif

A pois é.... Bom trabalho amigo!!!!!

Abraço:thumbup

Hello Bruno,

Thanks for the coment, and i will try to do my best in the Manta, this forum is a good place to share and learn with our Mantas.

Cheers

Costa

• 1 month later...

The advance is slow, i'm cleaning some parts to send zinc plated

Decapado.jpg

It looks a little grease because i put WD40 is to protect until i zink plated.

I have the poly bushes to the rear and i'm to recive the front bushes.

When i have more news i put here

Thanks

Costa

• 4 weeks later...

The progress is very slow and i'm waiting for some time and euros to do some more stuff

In this time i was working in CAD to make the wood instrument display, i have a friend that have a small machine that can cut the sheet that imitate the wood.

The drawing is not perfect there are some edges that can be improve

Here is a photo from the cad drawing

Painel_Manta_A.jpg

If some one wants a pdf or the cad just e-mail me.

• 3 months later...

Some updates :D

After reading here about the upgrade of the brakes to our mantas i try to do it

So i found some vectra calipers and audi disks and here is the result

DSCN1025.jpg

Old disk

DSCN1028.jpg

new disk

DSCN1036.jpg

DSCN1037.jpg

DSCN1039.jpg

In place :)

After i try to put inside my 13'' steel wheels but the caliper touch inside just for some mm :angry:

So after some research and questions a solution was to find some 13'' alloy wheels

In german ebay it apears 4 13'' ats with 7'' they where beautifull but in very bad shape one was broken, but i bought the price was very good:)

The wheels

DSCN1044.jpg

DSCN1046.jpg

DSCN1047.jpg

When it arrived i try the new brakes and for my surprised thei fit perfectly and don't touch, i have more a less 1cm of gap :D

DSCN1048.jpg

DSCN1049.jpg

DSCN1051.jpg

After the good surprise of the wheels i send it to fix and paint, the result is this:D with 185/70 13 tyres

DSC03811.jpg

DSC03812.jpg

DSC03813.jpg

DSC03814.jpg

DSC03815.jpg

DSC03817.jpg

DSC03818.jpg

Edited by costasa