Quad Lights

Snowy

I have a set of irmscher quad light surrounds. I thought i had all the bits and peices i needed to make them up into light units. But the bezels i have do not fit.

Can anyone post up a picture of their units, front and back, please.

Thanks

The bezels are too big. I do not mean a tight fit, they are too big to even fit in the housing.

Thanks for the pictures but the ones i have are the original irmscher items not like the ones you have.

But it has given me an idea.

Thanks

Edited by Snowy

Were the dmaged ones originals / one piece bezels?

Not trying to ask silly questions, just I've had the one piece bezels with both the Lucas units with the foam rubber band around the side that have mounts on the back of the light glass and the Cibie ones where the mounts are on the plastic ring. The only problem I've had mixinf these pars is on one occasion the three mounting holes for the unit in the bezel were in the worng place which rotated the light a few degrees. I don't even remember that problem previous times I had swapped Cibieto Lucas and vice versa, just once.

Only time I haven't been able to mix them was once when I had a set of the earlier ones with metal back plates and they had had larger units fitted behind the bezels that shone through them but didn't fir inside them.

Got both sets of lights, best to my understanding, the one pictured above is; after market rep units fitted with larger/flat lamps.

You can see in the picture, they are fibreglass copies.

The irmscher ones (fitted to exclusive model) is slightly smaller and are 'rounder' i.e. Cibie globes. There is 3 plastic/spring adjusters

which are attched to an 'very' thin metal ring, which fits/holds the lamp into the unit, where the ones above are independant of the cover.

I could be wrong, maybe someone else will know for sure.

GL

Keith

All the lights fitted to the quad units be it after market or standard fitment are 5 3/4" lights.

I will ask again if someone has the irmscher set up if you can please post a pic of them up from behind and the front.

Yes all the parts i have came from irmscher head lights. The bezels just do not fit inside the housing.

Being cibie, lucas, or any other make does not make a difference to fitting them inside the irmscher housing. Yes i agree some rotate the light unit around a bit. But that is actually fine. My Mk3 cortina was like that and the beam was pattern was fine.

Thanks

it may be also worth bearing in mind that there were 2 different fixings used on the one piece moulding depending on whether the lamps were cibie or lucas, lucas ones used the 3 independant legs/adjusters which clipped onto the lamps wheras the cibie ones used the bezel ring with the legs on that & the lamp glued in to it .

i imagine you already are aware of that but just a thought :thumbup

Edited by pat

I was, but thanks for the information.

I have decided to modify the irmscher housings so i can fit capri light units to the back of them complete with adjusters. They seem to work better than the standard manta items.

Thanks

Don't cut them up for a minute (just in case you are on a roll) please wait for my next post (about 5 mins)

How about a swap?

Your bare bezels for the irmscher setup below inc units?

(Red one and units not included)

quad1.jpg

quad2.jpg

quad3.jpg

quad4.jpg

quad5.jpg

These take slightly larger units that the complete bsezels do I think, that or the fact that the mounting rings stick out sideways with the adjusters on may be it (these may even be the units you have already)

The main / dip units have been swapped to sealed units which cost little more than a bulb to replace and the single mains are original and look ok. Been kicking about a while so obviously don't know if elements work, but they are complete, I unbolted them from J reg in 1999 and they have been in doors in a box since.

Backing plates have surface rust to be expected and the only obvious fault is the right hand bezel has been overtightenend and is curved )see pic) this could probably be sorted with clamping or hot water.

Anyway just thought I would give you the option as I am short of uncracked on piece bezels.

Red one piece beze; and light units in it for reference and not included.

What do you think?

Shame. (to already cut up)

So is this the type you had lights from as they didn't fit?

All the lights fitted to the quad units be it after market or standard fitment are 5 3/4" lights.

Are you really sure about that??? I've got both 'working' rec types! "1/2 inch spanner isn't the same as an 13mm spanner".

Thanks for reminding me; about wasting my time 'trying to help' ;)

Keith

Are you really sure about that??? I've got both 'working' rec types! "1/2 inch spanner isn't the same as an 13mm spanner".

Thanks for reminding me; about wasting my time 'trying to help' ;)

Keith

Course for the two piece Irmscher Hella type the mounting rings have the screws around the outside so was probably why they didn't fit in the other bezels. I'm just sorry I was too late to maybe do us both a good swap, save cutting up good bezels to make them like the other type which I have and will probably never use.