Heater

shooie811

i cant get any heat out my heater and im gettn dodgy temperature readings somtimes does any 1 know wats wrongs coz its bloody freezing inside

cheers.chris

The water temperature is regulated mechanically by a thermostat. The gauge is a separate electrical system that reports on the temperature. The gause doesn't imfluence the temperature.

Define "dodgy temperature readings somtimes"?

If the gauge is all over the place AND accurate it could mean engine problems, air locks, head gasket, dodgy thermostat etc.

Does the car need topping up with water often? That eliminates most of the above if not.

If not do BOTH the rubber hoses into the heater matrix get hot?

If not or it takes ages for hot to get from one to the other it could be blocked.

If both get hot it could be the heater air flap / cable / heater selector, one or the other.

If all the above are good it could just be it is old and restricted PLUS extreme weather outside means it is not good enough to warm.

On occasion I have made a Manta recirculate air to help in this by sliding an envelope along the mesh below the windscreen vent to stop it picking up cold air and then opening the two centre vents so the fan draws air through these to recirculate so making the most of a marginal heater.

Of course this eventually leads to condensation, poor air quality and probably death in traffic so I do advise against this option.

Very good way to defrost a Manta in the morning though.

First (easy) thing I would check would be the heater cables. The cables are bad for kinking behind the dash and you might think they're getting leverage when they're not. Work them while looking at the mechanism on top of the bulkhead heater matrix. Beyond that, mantadoc has covered just about any eventuality.

Yep, sounds like low coolant or air in the system to me. Was it you who was asking about changing water pumps the other day?

yes i replaced the water pump the other day becoz of a leak but even before that i was still havin problems with heat i fot the water pump would have solved it but obvisouly not

cheers.

The water temperature is regulated mechanically by a thermostat. The gauge is a separate electrical system that reports on the temperature. The gause doesn't imfluence the temperature.

Define "dodgy temperature readings somtimes"?

If the gauge is all over the place AND accurate it could mean engine problems, air locks, head gasket, dodgy thermostat etc.

Does the car need topping up with water often? That eliminates most of the above if not.

If not do BOTH the rubber hoses into the heater matrix get hot?

If not or it takes ages for hot to get from one to the other it could be blocked.

If both get hot it could be the heater air flap / cable / heater selector, one or the other.

If all the above are good it could just be it is old and restricted PLUS extreme weather outside means it is not good enough to warm.

On occasion I have made a Manta recirculate air to help in this by sliding an envelope along the mesh below the windscreen vent to stop it picking up cold air and then opening the two centre vents so the fan draws air through these to recirculate so making the most of a marginal heater.

Of course this eventually leads to condensation, poor air quality and probably death in traffic so I do advise against this option.

Very good way to defrost a Manta in the morning though.

like the temperature gauge in the mornin startin from cold can shoot up to the red wen the car hasnt been runnin 4 more than 2 mins then on the motorway it sits just below the first mark on the gauge it changes abt all the time. the radiator is full of antifreeze and hav made sure the is no air locks think my nxt step is to try the thermosate an see if it helps

cheers.

2.0 gte runnin a carb

Then as it's a mix and match what thermostat housing?

If the GTE thermostat housing and stat DO NOT run without the thermostat for any reason as this stat not only opens the water eway but has a washer on the other end to blank another water way off for proper circulation so running without or with wrong stat without washer IF that housing is extremely bad.

Does the car need topping up regularly still?

All things being equal, if you have a stat that is appropriate for the housing, working pump no leaks or airlocks and a working fan you are left with dramatically wrong fueling or timing leading to overheating (usually with pinking) OR you boiled it to death when the pump went and have a leaking head gasket.

Or I just made that up.

hi just fot id let u know it was due to a thermostat and the heater matrix being blocked also i have placed a piece of cardboard at the front of the radiator becoz the fan wasnt letting the engine heat up properly works a treat :thumbup

cheers.chris