Re-Doing My A Series

simon p

As a few of you will know, i first started to build my Manta back in '99. It went through a few changes during the next few years. Once I started my own business in 2004, it kinda got neglected so I thought it was about time I got out of the barn it was stored in and get it re-done for this year. I'm aiming to have it finished for the summer(famous last words) but i do have a lot going on right now so we'll see.

This is it looked in 2001 where it won best of show at Billing.

t7evz5.jpg

muhjer.jpg

6nt3dg.jpg

NASC show in Ipswich where it won 'best modern hotrod' i was well pleased with that as it was a national show and it up against all types of cars, some with big budgets. It was it's last show outing. 2004.....

24yr8fr.jpg

.....and how it arrived back to me recently, oh dear!!

30wwevl.jpg

155qeyh.jpg

Hopefully, with everything else thats going on, i'll be able to fit it in.

I remeber this vividly being in Total vauxhall, only being 26 years old now it was one of the cars that made me realise just how cool the A series can be, ive often wondered what happened to it, amazing how quick they can get in a mess!

Cant wait to see it back up to scratch i love that car :thumbup

Nearly stripped down now, just the prop and hand brake to take off then it's off to the blasters. I'm quite suprised how good it still seems to be but we will see.

zajap.jpg

1zcp9ow.jpg

The IRS axle was designed and built by me back in 2002. It uses a Senator LSD diff and stub axles, everything else was custom made. When I sprayed the wishbones, I hung them on the washing line..... I was not popular. The coilovers will be replaced with air shocks, as will the front.

21eaquc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Back from the blasting yesterday. Revealing lots of work to do. It's suprising how much rot was there that i hadn't seen, even after i stripped to a shell. Next job is to get it into the bodyroller and see what it's like underneath. I'll be getting stuck into this in the evenings next week.

2itiio9.jpg

n2hm6x.jpg

w6um4o.jpg

Nothing new here.

v5vddc.jpg

Near side rear qtr. rusted through under the rear window trim.

v4ctx2.jpg

Old repair, but see how its rusted around the newer metal. This is why i always chase a hole right through to very sound, original steel.

2s81tmq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

loving the detail pics, can i ask simon that chassis leg how did you clean it up prooir to re-skinning it, looks well pitted

Cheers mate, the chassis leg was in very good condition otherwise i would have replaced it too. IT does look ropey though. I cleaned it up with a course wire wheel to remove all the loose rust then i gave it liberal coating of rust converter this also leaves a coat of anti corrosion protection on it too.

well this is one thread i am definately going to enjoy!

seems ironic, nearly 4 years ago i started my stripdown and was reading a manta a article in total vauxhaul, seems we have come full circle simon, watch out for next months TV!!

All the best mate

kev

Edited by upk

• 1 year later...

Been a while since i updated this thread. My car's been sitting quietly in the corner for sometime now while i worked on customers cars. I've now decided it's about time i crack on with it again, i've finally got most of the parts together, just need a gearbox. My plan is to have it at Billing next year but we'll see how it goes.

Fantastic car thumbsup.gif it has acutally served as a big inspiration to my own A series project (using those big rims etc). Great car, look forward to following the progress thumbsup.gif

Glad it spured you on. Seems we have a similar taste in wheels too

2r7985z.jpg

Hers are some of the of parts i've gathered, including some NOS window rubbers all the way from Houston, Texas.

2cosyg8.jpg

I´m sure it will be a jawdropper when you get done thumbsup.gif

Btw what size rims and tyres did you have on it (the black ones look the biggest?) and what modifications did you do to the inner arches to make them fit ? Look like they are 18 or 19´s ??

I am very curious about this as i plan doing 19" rears on mine and either 18 or 17 in front but in same design (like the chip foose cars). But i really want that big rear wheel running all up under the arches.

• 3 months later...

I´m sure it will be a jawdropper when you get done thumbsup.gif

Btw what size rims and tyres did you have on it (the black ones look the biggest?) and what modifications did you do to the inner arches to make them fit ? Look like they are 18 or 19´s ??

I am very curious about this as i plan doing 19" rears on mine and either 18 or 17 in front but in same design (like the chip foose cars). But i really want that big rear wheel running all up under the arches.

Only running 17's anything bigger and the wheel is to big for the arch. They look out of proportion also, if you want it low, you'll have clearance issues with the top of the inner wheel arch.

Now got my A Series into one corner of the workshop to work on over the winter.

33kzqmo.jpg

25g3oex.jpg

2gui7v5.jpg

Interior should be different. The tubes are just a frame to make a new buck to make a mould to then make the new dash. It won't be there in the finished car.

2l9a4n.jpg

Wheels match the steering wheel

Lots and lots to do over the winter, loads of custom fabrication too, i've got loads of ideas. Should be ready to compete in Europe end of next year.

• 1 year later...

Well it's been a while, far to much work so i've neglected my Manta massively. Anyway, i have gave myself time recently to do a bit. It's moved on bit from these pics now. The plan was a full stock resto but lowered, 16v redtop with custom interior but i got a bit carried away. Gonna have to IVA it now.

fp9rmv.jpg

The tube is a mock up, it's inplace of the rear axle currently being built. I needed something in place to allow me to fabricate the new rear chassis/floor

2mhsrph.jpg