Manta V8 Again..

stagcar

Hi All,

Just got this nice little manta hatch of the net.

Its got a rover v8 Fitted and a ford 9" final drive. Its fitted with 305/15 on split image rims on the rear and 205's on the front

Its been tubed out as you can see and some big boxed out bits under the tubing

It has got a super charger fitted (wade ro34) but its missing the belt.

I have today fitted the edelbrook manifold and the holley carb o i can see if it runs. then start the prep for mot Loads to do.

welding wise it looks to only need a little patch on the sill and one behind the headlight where it joins the inner wing and in general it looks loads better than the other sunroof rotten shell i have got.

Has any body seen this car before? What do you recon? to me it looks like somone has put a lot of time into this car and i would love to know more about it.

Cheers

Derek

choodsaracamera19dec09027.jpg

choodsaracamera19dec09023.jpgchoodsaracamera19dec09024.jpg

DSCF1002.jpg

DSCF0998.jpg

Sorry just noticed the pictures dident work so here we go!

Any pics available stagcar. Planning to v8 my coupe in the near future and i'm checking out every v8 manta pics i can. :thumbup

Hi Mate

I have a few pictures of the other project manta v8 i will dig them out for you.

Nice bit of rear floor fabrication over the Ford axle. Been thinking about putting some extra strength in my A series shell. I am changing the 3.9 for a 4.6.

Is that a 3.5ltr P6 engine you have? The valve covers and water pump most certainly are, however as you may know you can dress up any size or any age of RV8 with these mods. The P6 pump is the shortest available so its used in many conversions.

My 3.9 had the P6 water pump and associated pulleys. With the 4.6 I am going to use the later front timming cover with the crank driven oil pump and serpentine belt system.

Best of luck with the project. I would be glad to help if you need any advice engine wise.

Paul.

Nice bit of rear floor fabrication over the Ford axle. Been thinking about putting some extra strength in my A series shell. I am changing the 3.9 for a 4.6.

Is that a 3.5ltr P6 engine you have? The valve covers and water pump most certainly are, however as you may know you can dress up any size or any age of RV8 with these mods. The P6 pump is the shortest available so its used in many conversions.

My 3.9 had the P6 water pump and associated pulleys. With the 4.6 I am going to use the later front timming cover with the crank driven oil pump and serpentine belt system.

Best of luck with the project. I would be glad to help if you need any advice engine wise.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

As far as i know its a p6 engine that the chap has fitted thicker head gaskets to lower the compresion.

Not sure that its a lot of good TBH the 4.6 would be a nice conversion but i have been told they can suffer from porus blocks not sure if thats true or not.

i also have a 3.5 landrover 101 engine so its very low comp and its in tip top condition so with the right cam it would be better for the blower.,

any way i am still fighting with the wiring at the moment nealy there tho just the fuel pump power to sort. I have got a nice holley one to fit with ajustable presure regulator it all looks very nice.

Thanks again

Derek

PS has any one seen this car before?

The 4.6 and more so the 4.0 suffered from cracking behind the cylinder liners check this out http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=618&start=60 (check out the post at the bottom of this page) it explains how the later engines built be Mitchell Cotts who took over production of the RV8 after Rover finished sorted the problem with their blocks.

Your Landrover engine sounds good. If it's 1983 or later it will be stronger than the earlier block, stronger mains with more block contact around them. Very useful if your supercharging! Also look at the ribs in the valley, unlike the earlier block they are the same thickness all the way across.

I would not use the P6 timing cover without the upgrade on the oil pump housing. This gives the pump more capacity to the same spec as the later SD1 type pump.

Paul Roach used to run "The Manta V8 Register" his email is; grpservicesplymouth@googlemail.com

Send him an email with some pic's of the car. Let him know what part of the country you think it came from and he maybe able to help.

Paul

Edited by paul1393

The 4.6 and more so the 4.0 suffered from cracking behind the cylinder liners check this out http://www.v8forum.c...?t=618&start=60 (check out the post at the bottom of this page) it explains how the later engines built be Mitchell Cotts who took over production of the RV8 after Rover finished sorted the problem with their blocks.

Your Landrover engine sounds good. If it's 1983 or later it will be stronger than the earlier block, stronger mains with more block contact around them. Very useful if your supercharging! Also look at the ribs in the valley, unlike the earlier block they are the same thickness all the way across.

I would not use the P6 timing cover without the upgrade on the oil pump housing. This gives the pump more capacity to the same spec as the later SD1 type pump.

Paul Roach used to run "The Manta V8 Register" his email is; grpservicesplymouth@googlemail.com

Send him an email with some pic's of the car. Let him know what part of the country you think it came from and he maybe able to help.

Paul

Hi paul,

Very intresting at least i know what to look for now

Looks like it will have to be a p6 timing case and pullys for clearance of the charger belt

Thanks again for all the good info mate i will drop that chap an email see if he knows of the car

Many thanks

Derek

• 1 month later...

Hi paul,

Very intresting at least i know what to look for now

Looks like it will have to be a p6 timing case and pullys for clearance of the charger belt

Thanks again for all the good info mate i will drop that chap an email see if he knows of the car

Many thanks

Derek

Well i still havent been able to drag up any info on the car but i know it hasent been on the road since 1994.

Well thats what came back when a did a sorn on it!

Still i have been doing a lot of work on it, all basic stuff like changing the clutch master and slave bits and getting it ready for MOT:thumbup

But it seems it has been left standing with plain water in the engine and it has blown out some of the core plugs. the worst bit is i think i will

have to take the engine out to get to them.

only got this and the brakes to fix now and it will be MOT time

Cheers

Derek

PS i will post some more pictures when i can get it out of the garage without it spilling its guts everywhere:D

• 1 month later...

DSCF1055.jpgDSCF1053.jpgDSCF1049.jpgDSCF1046.jpgDSCF1043.jpgDSCF1042.jpgHi all Here Are a few pics of the manta

I got it running ok with out dumping its juices every where and it goes very well now:thumbup seems to have loads of power:thumbup

I am sorting the very bad wiring out at the moment and doing the little bits of welding also got a good set of twin headlights to fit!

got an exhaust to make and a lot of painting to do underside as you can see.

Hope you like the pictures and they work this time!

DSCF1041.jpg

Edited by stagcar

• 5 years later...