Hello From West Yorkshire!

ssizefive

Hi, have just joined the forum & thought i should say hello smile.gif

I have been into classic cars for a few years now and used to own this Cavalier which was my pride & joy. I lost the use of the garage i kept it in & couldnt afford the insurance with it being kept outside so i had to sell it, i was gutted!! I sold the car around June 07 and the guy who bought it assured me it was going to a good home but, according to the DVLA site, the car has not been taxed since Sept 07 so i dont know what has happened to it - it still upsets me everytime i look at my pictures.

I now own the Carlton in the below pictures which i got in June last year. It is in pretty good order although we have done some paintwork ( the roof had no colour left on it, the boot lid was all rippled on the top due to 20 odd years of people slamming it shut & there was some damage to the osr corner ).

The car is up for MOT next month & i dont forsee any problems other than the brake limiter is weeping and i cant find one anywhere so if anyone can help or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Steve.

cav8.jpg

cav11.jpg

100_0502.jpg

100_0503.jpg

Hi and a very warm welcome to the forum.

Its really nice to see an early carlton being saved....it really looks like a beauty. I had all but forgotten about them to be honest - so nice to see such a nice one.

Will you be taking it down to Billing in July? I'm sure you will create some interest with that.

hi there. if you are the person i remember you had the cavalier on ebay due to loss of storage .from keighley? excellent cav.my dad owned one in the same colour when i was a kid. that got me into cavaliers .i have 2 plus a carlton 2.2. the brake valve leak is a very common thing & rather than trying to find the same type is best replaced with the later type.i have never seem one of these leak. i will most likely have one as ive broken many carltons over the years. i will have a look this weekend for you. welcome to the forum .would love to meet up & see your carlton sometime. im from bradfors

hi there. if you are the person i remember you had the cavalier on ebay due to loss of storage .from keighley? excellent cav.my dad owned one in the same colour when i was a kid. that got me into cavaliers .i have 2 plus a carlton 2.2. the brake valve leak is a very common thing & rather than trying to find the same type is best replaced with the later type.i have never seem one of these leak. i will most likely have one as ive broken many carltons over the years. i will have a look this weekend for you. welcome to the forum .would love to meet up & see your carlton sometime. im from bradfors

Hi, yes thats me - i wish i knew where the car was now, i hope it is still in one piece. I gathered the brake valve was a common fault as the service history for my car shows it has already had 3 replaced. Thanks for taking the time to see if you have one and once all this nasty salt is off the road then we could arrange to meet.

Steve.

if you put a pic up of brake part you require you may get some one on here with one. put it up in wanted section

Will do that.

Thanks.

Thanks for the welcomes - i have been busy reading through all the project posts on the site and have to hand it to everyone, much as i love my car i dont think i would have the patience to put in the time some of you have.thumbsup.gif

Edited by ssizefive

to anyone who may have a new one .

they are the same unit as fitted to mk1`cavs / mantas etc ,4 pipe type up to about 83.

the later type manta ones (vertical barrel type) are as on later 83-86 carltons & seem a better design for not leaking. il have a look for one unless anyone has a new one for him.

hi there. i have a spare valve but prob worth asking andy in parts locator if you can still get them new. if you fit the later type which are the preffered type you will have to re-bend the pipe ends to reach .easier if its had replacements fitted which it probably will have by now. the port locations point in different directions to the earlier versions thats all!

hi there. i have a spare valve but prob worth asking andy in parts locator if you can still get them new. if you fit the later type which are the preffered type you will have to re-bend the pipe ends to reach .easier if its had replacements fitted which it probably will have by now. the port locations point in different directions to the earlier versions thats all!

HI - i have managed to locate a new one but i'm afraid its going to have to wait a bit - i knew it maybe fairly expensive but i wasnt expecting £155 so i need to start saving!!

Steve.

Wow i havn't seen a Carlton 2000 since about 1990 ish when i robbed the exhaust manifold of it in a scrap yard in Rotherham, in the days when all you could see was cavs, mantas, cortinas and capris, if only I had a crystal ball, at the time i was told that this was the only manifold that would fit my 1978 sr and have the right angle for the exhaust down pipe and studs so you could fit the twin choke webber like the one fitted to the GT Cortina,