Manta Courtenay Turbo

I thought the courtney turbos were build on exclusives not standard GTE coupes? Anyhow that is a shite advert but look at it this way, it'd keep the price down a little bit for anyone who wants to take in on and there's potential profit there if all the work is done to a good standard and give it a bit of time. I'd be bidding myself if it weren't for having 5 cars already :D

yeh it is a 240 lit on that and the right (but wrong mirrorsor a manta), looks like a good project i might evenhave a bid if it is one or not, lets see what the picturs how, but after talking to Ian Martin the turbo guage is in the wrong place. I bet it is a LET engine.

The Courtenay Turbo Manta was an aftermarket alternative to the Irmscher produced 'specials'. Generally they were converted from new or nearly new cars, so hence were produced during the mid to late eighties. Courtenay are now well known for their expertise in the field of tuning but it was this model that launched Chris Courtenay's tuning career.

A standard low mileage 2.0l Manta was all that was required, and a couple of thousand pounds of course ! Once you had deposited your car with him and laid down your list of turbo charging requirements, all you had to do was wait. The list of modifications could be described as exhaustive and could go as far as your wallet could carry them. The standard was to change the compression ratio and fit a garret T3 turbocharger. If extra power was required a water injection system could be fitted to add a charge cooling effect. A variable boost control mechanism along with more usual mechanical modifications, including cylinder head spacer plates and re-worked heads, could result in power well in excess of 250bhp. By using the variable boost system the car could remain drivable but the heat could be turned up when required !

The Turbo Manta was never introduced by Opel, some say a shame. By increasing the power output of the standard Manta, perhaps the model could have survived another couple of years. The Calibra was on the drawing board, under the original working name of the Manta 'D' series. The Courtenay Turbo Manta filled the gap during the last few years of production. It made the Manta the car it perhaps should have evolved into at the Opel Factory.

The Courtenay Turbo Manta was produced in relatively low volumes. They can be of very different specifications and model types. Due to the aftermarket nature of this conversion, the only way to ensure that a car is an original is to ask for any authenticating documentation, which should also detail the cars modifications, if possible.

quite right mantadoc, the difference is the placement of the front indicators in the front airdam/bumper. you could always change it to a 400 front airdam :D . looks like a good project :) a nice rallytech 400 bonnet would help keep it cool under there :rolleyes: .

boost gauge cant be in the wrong place as some where built to customer spec on request so if you want your gauge somewhere else you can have it where you want :blink: .

The originators of Courtenay Turbo conversions were Pace Products (they also make intercoolers and dry sump systems). They developed the conversions and trained up Courtenay staff to fit them. All sorts of models were turbo'd ...GTEs, including hatchbacks, Exclusives, Novas, Senators. My GTE was converted in 1990, probably the last as they only had enough off the shelf parts to do mine. They all used Japanese IHI turbos and not Garratts as they had lightweight internals, so spun up quicker to reduce turbo lag. The guy says he will put up more pics at the weekend. If this is a geniune water injected model, horse power is between 200 and 230bhp thats if it has the extra fuel injector(s) fitted in inlet manifold. On std 4 injectors 180bhp is about the limit. Will watch this with interest....not seen it before..

I asked the owner a couple of days ago if it is the original 2.0l 8v or a more recent 2.0l 16v engine from a cavalier/astra. No answer yet.

I could add a chip to a C20LET and call it a courtenay turbo, but it wont be worth as much as a original manta courtenay turbo.

I would be a bit pee'd if I brought it and it turned out to be a poorly fitted C20LET with a chip.

I asked the owner a couple of days ago if it is the original 2.0l 8v or a more recent 2.0l 16v engine from a cavalier/astra. No answer yet.

I could add a chip to a C20LET and call it a courtenay turbo, but it wont be worth as much as a original manta courtenay turbo.

I would be a bit pee'd if I brought it and it turned out to be a poorly fitted C20LET with a chip.

Too right a turbo'd CIH would be way more exclusive.......if this was closer I'd be very interested but haven't got the time to check it out.....and there is the issue of a few other projects :rolleyes:

Just got a responce from the seller, he has posted some additional pics, engine bay, and clear picture of the dash and dials, he also has "paperwork" for circa £8k worth of work on the car.

Having only ever seen a few Courtney Turbo's close up a few years ago, to me it looks right but i am no expert on them.

John

I actually made enquires to Courtnays back in 88 when I first bought my B. They sent me the usual brochure, which back then was a black and white photocopied thing...

Anyway, they did 3 basic models.

1.8 GT turbo

2.0 GT/E Turbo

2.0 water injected GT/E Turbo

Can't remember power figures, as I gave up as my B is an SR and not injected so they couldn't really help me at the time.

I do remember that the water injected model cost over £8000 back then, as it was only available as a full conversion. Suspension was changed, the 240 kit and Capri remote mirrors were added. The mirrors incidently because at speed, the original Manta ones fold up....

So, as it has the Capri mirrors and 240 kit, could this be a water injected model?

In fact, looking again at the engine shot, you can see the water tank, bottom left, behind the headlight......

Edited by Mantaray80

I actually made enquires to Courtnays back in 88 when I first bought my B. They sent me the usual brochure, which back then was a black and white photocopied thing...

Anyway, they did 3 basic models.

1.8 GT turbo

2.0 GT/E Turbo

2.0 water injected GT/E Turbo

Can't remember power figures, as I gave up as my B is an SR and not injected so they couldn't really help me at the time.

I do remember that the water injected model cost over £8000 back then, as it was only available as a full conversion. Suspension was changed, the 240 kit and Capri remote mirrors were added. The mirrors incidently because at speed, the original Manta ones fold up....

So, as it has the Capri mirrors and 240 kit, could this be a water injected model?

In fact, looking again at the engine shot, you can see the water tank, bottom left, behind the headlight......

1800GT Turbo? any of these actually sold? any more details on the install/turbo used etc?

V interesting idea

Andy

Looks to be the real thing, can just see the 5th injector in the pipe attached to the inlet manifold, The blue bottle at the back may be a turbo oiler. It supplies oil to the turbo once engine has been shut off. Can't see the special ERL ECU, but it may be under the dash on the passenger side. You need access to it to tune the ignition and fuelling once the engine starts making boost on a rolling road.....

1800GT Turbo? any of these actually sold? any more details on the install/turbo used etc?

V interesting idea

Andy

No afraid not. I don't know if any were sold. I was hoping they could have done me a "hybrid" using some of the CIH turbo parts, mated to the Carb on my car. Think it would have cost too much tho. If I remember, the basic GTE conversion was around the £3K mark, even in 1988!