The Big Manta A Project (Pile Of Rust To Manta A)

mantaray

Well a new project begins:

Some of you may remember a few months ago, a yellow Manta A that was on Ebay. Well Kev Finny (Mantai200) won it and it is now in my garage for the complete restoration to begin.

This is what the car looked like when Kev and I went down to London to pic it up.

webSAM_0051.jpg

webSAM_0052.jpg

webSAM_0053.jpg

webSAM_0054.jpg

webSAM_0055.jpg

webSAM_0056.jpg

webSAM_0057.jpg

webSAM_0058.jpg

webSAM_0059.jpg

webSAM_0060.jpg

webSAM_0061.jpg

webSAM_0062.jpg

webSAM_0063.jpg

webSAM_0064.jpg

webSAM_0065.jpg

webSAM_0066.jpg

webSAM_0067.jpg

webSAM_0068.jpg

webSAM_0069.jpg

webSAM_0070.jpg

Got the car in my garage on Friday night and started to strip it, after about 8 hours work it is now up on my roll over cradle, and ready for the weldathone to start. Enjoy the pics . As we expected the Manta is in really bad state and a lot worse than we first thought, but that’s Manta’s for you.

Passenger side:

0001.jpg

0002.jpg

0003.jpg

0004.jpg

0005.jpg

Drivers side:

0006.jpg

0007.jpg

0008.jpg

0009.jpg

0010.jpg

0011.jpg

0012.jpg

0013.jpg

0014.jpg

0015.jpg

0016.jpg

0017.jpg

0018.jpg

0019.jpg

0021.jpg

As Chris has said, we spent approx 8 hours stripping the car to a shell ( I left Chris' house at 03:00 on Saturday morning ), what a late night but well worth it to finally see some work being done on my manta. We carried on stripping the car on Saturday evening and had a good poke around. When I bought the car, I knew it needed lower rear quarters, rear arches, lower rear valence, front outer wings and floor pans. I sourced the above panels within a week but could do with a reasonable second hand lower front valence as I can't afford a new one. The plan is to restore the shell, repaint it and basically keep it standard, for now,:), as I have a tendancy to modify my A's. The time frame for this project is almost as tight as an overhauling one,lol, but it will be worth it and I can't wait to drive a manta again :)

Really looking forward to following this project. I am currently restoring my A which I am pleased to say is not as bad as this one looks, which is just as well for me as I am a novice. It will be good to see this coming along.

Mick

Edited by MickB

• 4 weeks later...

Up date.

Sorry we have not been on for a while, time just flies when your having fun.

Well there have been a few changes since I last posted. We have to admit that the yellow shell has beaten us. But only because, we have managed to find another shell in much better condition.

0025.jpg

The rear end is solid, but it does need both rear arches and n/s rear corner. N/s sill need a small repair and another small repair to the n/s front inner wing. The worst thing on the n/s is that the door hinges have been cut and so need replacing (at least part of the yellow car will live on.)

The n/s chassie rail is excellent only needing a small repair, not seen one as good as this for a long time.

So as you can see, once we had this new shell the fate of the yellow shell was doomed.

0036.jpg

0037.jpg

0038.jpg

0039.jpg

0040.jpg

0042.jpg

The yellow shell has not gone to wast tho, we have cut all the good panels out to keep for spares and Kev wants to make a trailer out of the rear end.

0029.jpg

0031.jpg

0032.jpg

0034.jpg

Bit more done today.

N/S rear is now all welded, had to fabrecate both front and rear sections of inner arch and rear section of sill.

0043.jpg

0046.jpg

0047.jpg

0044.jpg

0045.jpg

Inside of boot still needs a little work but almost there.

0048.jpg

Hi paul, when you said it was a good shell, you wern't joking :thumbup Not seen one as good as this in a long time.

need to get the car done, as I have a customer car waiting to come in , in a few weeks, and I've just sorted out a new company project car, so I need the space.

Finished of the inner n/s rear corner and spare wheel well.

0049.jpg

0058.jpg

Kev sorted out the welding that was needed to the n/s inner front wing and bottom of A post.

0050.jpg

0051.jpg

o/s inner wing box section was totally shot, so I had a go at making up a new box section.

Made up a card template.

0052.jpg

0053.jpg

After transferring shape to sheet of steel, started to bend.

0054.jpg

Not too bad a fit.

0055.jpg

All welded in, primed and seam sealed

0056.jpg

n/s door hinges replaced.

0057.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sorry Ive not up dated for a while, but been away on holiday and just had too much work on.

Anyway, all the welding is now finished and we are on to the body prep.

Although the drivers side looked good, we found that the sill had been repaired by just welding a new one over all the old rot, so off it all came so the job could be done properly.

This was down to kev as I was on holiday.

0061.jpg

0059.jpg

0060.jpg

0062.jpg

With all the welding now finished Kev was a happy man.

0063.jpg

He even managed to get his partner Ruth, in on the act, painting a high Zink primer on the new metal before a new coat of under seal.

0064.jpg

0065.jpg

0066.jpg

And so this weekend we started to prep the body for paint.

0067.jpg

0068.jpg