Straight Cut 5 Speed Gear Set

bones

Hello, is it possible to get a straight cut gear set for a Manta 1.8 5 speed box new or used, does anyone make them?

Bones....

No, you will have to go to a Ford Type 9 with an XE Bellhousing, nothing was ever made for the Opel boxes apart from the 4 speed.

Why do you need straight cut gears in a road car?

Straight cut gears are for getting as much power as possible to the rear and are actually weaker than std helical gears. i ran a std box in the grasser with the 175 motor for ages no problem. a guy who ran a pinto with almost the same power went through 2 type 9s in one season, these were Tran X units. Quaife , when i rang them, recommended no more than 200 bhp. There are guys running hot 2.5's on std 240 boxes with no probs

HTH

Chris

Why do you need straight cut gears in a road car?

Straight cut gears are for getting as much power as possible to the rear and are actually weaker than std helical gears. i ran a std box in the grasser with the 175 motor for ages no problem. a guy who ran a pinto with almost the same power went through 2 type 9s in one season, these were Tran X units. Quaife , when i rang them, recommended no more than 200 bhp. There are guys running hot 2.5's on std 240 boxes with no probs

HTH

Chris

So I'll have to stick with a standard box then, I have 4 spare 1.8 boxes and a 2.0 which I got from a mate who was having a garage clear out and where going for free, they should last a while as it's only for a track day hill climb Chevette .

Thanks guys. Bones....