Hello From The Isle Of Man

MadManx

Hi All,

I've popped onto this forum a few times for a look over the past couple of years. But I decided to register yesterday as I've decided to get back into a Manta after about 18 years since my last one.

md_1552.jpg

This was my first Manta back in the day, and was my pride and joy.rolleyes.gif

GT/J 1.8 with replacement compound Weber carb with four branch manifold, big valve head with fast road cam.

After the GT/J I went into a GTE coupe in white. I kept that standard, owned that for two years. I'll see if I can dig a picture out for it.

Anyway looking to go retro and get myself a Manta again. So expect me to be prowling the for sale section.

Liking the slott-mags :thumbup Good luck on your quest for another Manta.

Had my A over there in 2003 when spectating at the Manx Rally, some fine roads and cars. Spotted a 1.8 Berlinetta on the prom in Douglas, the reg was 1800 MAN ( or was it MAN 1800?)......it suited it well!!

Unlikely you'll come across many for sale on the island(understatement!) but a few come up to the East and West!

All the best,

John.

There is a few tucked away here on the island, but no chance of finding one for sale here.

Know I will need to cast my net wide to bag a reasonable purchase.

Don't mind traveling for the right car.

Forgot to say that I'm originally from Dumfries in Scotland, moved over here three years ago.

For anybody that is nuts about cars or bikes it takes some beating.

No upper speed limit.thumbsup.gif

Great twisty roads.cool.gif

No MOT test.tongue.gif

Car over 25 years = £5 road taxbiggrin.gif

"Forgot to say that I'm originally from Dumfries in Scotland"

Aye, spotted the Scottish reg on the GTJ.

How'd you manage to move there......'cause they don't take anyone :rolleyes:

Sorry, don't mean to be nosey, just that I do like the place.

Was last there in '08 for the Manx GP,jist ma self(nae mates :( ), had a great time!!

There's someone else on here that's on the IOM but can't remember the name?

:thumbup

How'd you manage to move there......'cause they don't take anyone rolleyes.gif

Sorry, don't mean to be nosey, just that I do like the place.

Your thinking of Jersey, IOM are not picky, getting the work permit is the only tricky bit.

Was last there in '08 for the Manx GP,jist ma self(nae mates sad.gif ), had a great time!!

The Manx GP is good but the TT is like twice as good. I'm not into bikes, but its just crazy, real buzz about the place.

There's someone else on here that's on the IOM but can't remember the name?

There is a realy nice Excusive coupe in blue that I've seen a couple of times. It's in mint condition.

What type of manta you looking for?

Either a very tidy late coupe (possibly a hatch)

Or a stripped out track/rally machine, as I'm involved with the running of the Stage rallies over here with Manx Auto Sport Ltd. If it could be built up to full rally spec that could be used as a course car. As I don't have the budget to go rallying on the competitive side. But like to get involved on the organisation side.

Just going to keep my eye out and see what takes my fancy, its not going to be a daily driver so options are open.

John

Welcome to the forum - hope you find what you are looking for on here.

Hope you decide to join up with the club when you have found your dream car...perhaps we ought to organise a Manx OMOC weekend? Always fancied taking the i200 over there for a bit of a thrash!

Anyway, good luck and we'll all keep an eye out for you.

All the best,

Paul.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

perhaps we ought to organise a Manx OMOC weekend? Always fancied taking the i200 over there for a bit of a thrash!

Not a bad idea, lots of other clubs come over every year, Porsche OC, TVR OC, Lotus OC, Caterham, Audi Quattro. All sorts, come over for a weekend or a week drive around see the sights and have a great time. Only down side is the cost of the boat to get here & back. Steam Racket we call it ( www.steam-packet.com )blink.gif

I'm sure a group of Manta's would get a very warm welcome over here what with the rally connectionsthumbsup.gif

Hi All,

I've popped onto this forum a few times for a look over the past couple of years. But I decided to register yesterday as I've decided to get back into a Manta after about 18 years since my last one.

md_1552.jpg

This was my first Manta back in the day, and was my pride and joy.rolleyes.gif

GT/J 1.8 with replacement compound Weber carb with four branch manifold, big valve head with fast road cam.

After the GT/J I went into a GTE coupe in white. I kept that standard, owned that for two years. I'll see if I can dig a picture out for it.

Anyway looking to go retro and get myself a Manta again. So expect me to be prowling the for sale section.

welcome, nice picture by the way, just love them classic rims, i wonder what happend to them all???????:thumbup

Hi there, is this new car of yours going to featuring up at Jurby on the track days buy any chance?

Bones.....

Howdy Bones, cant be that many Chevette wielding guys going by the name of Bones thumbsup.gif

Depends what I end up with and the direction I go with it. But not that big a fan of Jurby, surface is bloody rough.

Your right there, Jurby has a rough old surface but it would be nice seeing a Manta going sideways round there. Show these Subaru boys a thing or too (no pun intended since you have one) but you know what I mean .

Bones....

Sure do Bones, it would be fun to. Like I say depends what I end up with. Could be temptedwink.gif

And you could go shopping at Jurby Junk blink.gifblink.gif ..........or not!

Been here three years and never bin in the place. Take it you have? biggrin.gif

Went into the Jurby Hotel once, that was like time travelblink.gif

• 3 weeks later...

IOM OMOC Annual Meeting - now that sounds just fantastic :thumbup

C'mon then committee let's get busy ;)B)

This has got to be a great event suggestion.....imagine long sweeping bends and foot to the floor stuff and nights in the local and pure MANTA chat all weekend.....

Ahhhh I've died and gone to heaven, until the wife puts a stop to it ;)

• 1 month later...

Hello MadManx

I am a Manta owner living in Andreas, IOM. I have a black 1988 GTE Exclusive Coupe with 55,000 on the clock. I bought mine in Northern Ireland two years ago. I originally used to drive it as my main car but now keep it in my garage and only drive it on dry days. The main thing letting my Manta down is one of the twin headlights on the drivers side has gone rusty.

It's good to see that there is another Manta in working order driving around on the island. I thought that mine was the only one in regular use as i haven't seen another one over here since i got mine. I have been told there are a couple of very tidy Manta's over here, but i have never seen them.

If you're up near Andreas any time in your Manta let me know as i wouldn't mind having a look. :thumbup

Hi manxmanta,

good to here from you. I'm in the process of getting another Manta. Could be a bit of a project. I'll give you a shout once its on the road. I'm based in Ramsey, so only just down the road from you. ( small world) laugh.gif