Front Arms-Link Commodore Hubs To Manta Track Rods

E416 PBO

Did you get any steering arms at all with the Commodore hubs??? The Commodore steering arms need to be heated to restore the ackerman angle when used on the Manta as the steering rack is in front of the crossmember, unlike the Record/Commodore/Senator/Monza where the steering drag link runs behind the crossmember. They will also have to be fitted LH on RH and vice versa.

Opel Rekord D items will bolt to your Commodore hubs. Also you might find the Senator/Monza ones also fit, however you will have to check this.

Paul.

Did you get any steering arms at all with the Commodore hubs??? The Commodore steering arms need to be heated to restore the ackerman angle when used on the Manta as the steering rack is in front of the crossmember, unlike the Record/Commodore/Senator/Monza where the steering drag link runs behind the crossmember. They will also have to be fitted LH on RH and vice versa.

Opel Rekord D items will bolt to your Commodore hubs. Also you might find the Senator/Monza ones also fit, however you will have to check this.

Paul.

I actually have a complete Commodore.

Today was the first day I got a chance to look at the hubs.

I have everything belonging to the Commodore.

Whats that 'ackerman' angle your referring to?

I actually have a complete Commodore.

Today was the first day I got a chance to look at the hubs.

I have everything belonging to the Commodore.

Whats that 'ackerman' angle your referring to?

Ackerman angle is what makes your front wheels run in different arcs when turning, coupled with the caster angle. Perfect ackerman is set by taking a line through each front upright pivot from the centre of the axle. The steering arms must be on this line for the perfect setting. Short Circuit website has tech pages that explain along with alot of other suspension info. You really need to know what your doing with this, if you muck it up the car will handle like a pig!!!! recommend read How to build and modify race and rally cars by Alan Staniforth and also Compertition Car Suspension by the same bloke.

HTH

Chris

Ackerman angle is what makes your front wheels run in different arcs when turning, coupled with the caster angle. Perfect ackerman is set by taking a line through each front upright pivot from the centre of the axle. The steering arms must be on this line for the perfect setting. Short Circuit website has tech pages that explain along with alot of other suspension info. You really need to know what your doing with this, if you muck it up the car will handle like a pig!!!! recommend read How to build and modify race and rally cars by Alan Staniforth and also Compertition Car Suspension by the same bloke.

HTH

Chris

Thanks a mil Chris, I'll look into that.

If you look at your Commodore, the steering arms face to wards the rear (as the steering is attached to the rear of the axle)and are more curved inwards than Manta ones. I'm sure a blacksmith could heat them up and straighten the Commodore arms, maybe some one else has had this done?

better idea junk the commodore hubs and get some alloy hubs from TJM and get them with the 5x120 pcd drilled into them that way you can keep your original stub axles and your suspension settings won't be affected, The commodore hubs will be worth good money to someone so it might not cost too much to up grade.

If you look at your Commodore, the steering arms face to wards the rear (as the steering is attached to the rear of the axle)and are more curved inwards than Manta ones. I'm sure a blacksmith could heat them up and straighten the Commodore arms, maybe some one else has had this done?

This is exactly what I have had done on my Manta A. I took some measurements and with expert help worked out how much to bend the steering arms after heating cheery red with Oxy/acet torch.

fronthubs007.jpg

fronthubs005.jpg

fronthubs006.jpg

Edited by paul1393

This is exactly what I have had done on my Manta A. I took some measurements and with expert help worked out how much to bend the steering arms after heating cheery red with Oxy/acet torch.

Paul, Thanks a mil for the advice. I went to a lot of trouble to get the Commodore hubs, so I think I'll go down this route.

Ps.. I wish the bottom of my car was as clean as yours - looks immaculate.

Luke.