Identify This 2.0 Cih Noise!

kerplunk

Hi everyone,

Over the last few days my Ascona has developed this noise.

It sounds like someone shaking a bag of spanners!

I've done a video so you can hear it!

Its coming from somewhere near the fan.

I'm no mechanic so I thought I'd see if any of you lot are familiar with what it might be.

I've not noticed any loss in power.

Thanks, Lee.

Aye yer right there , sounds like a bag o' spanners. Have you tried grabbing the fan blades (engine off!) and twisting(or waltz!!)the blades to see what play there is in the water pump bearing. It doesn't sound like a water pump kind of noise though? Have you tried taking the fan belt off and then start the engine to see if the noise is still there?

Does your oil pressure light work ?.....cause it sounds like the death rattle!

By the way did you get that carb and manifold on ok

John.

Hi,

Ahh yeah the carb went on a treat thanks, its running it now. Been on all winter with no troubles.

Whats this Death rattle??! I dont like the sound of that

Theres some very slight play on the fan and pully, I've recently had to tighten the fan belt up actually.

Will give it a go without the belt on see what happens

Now then, about the oil light...

Since I got it back from the garage for its MOT, the oil light has constantly flickered randomly...

I got it checked over but not fixed as the garage said there's a problem with the wiring somewhere, It still lit up properly as it should when they tested it.

hmmmm :(

Hi everyone!

Ok just got back from my garage, loosened the fan belt so it wouldn't spin and started her up.

No noise! Which can only be a good thing.

Turns out the water pump pully is buggered.

I guess the bearings have gone eh?

New pump time?

Any ideas where to get one?

Thanks again.

Lee.

Hi everyone!

Ok just got back from my garage, loosened the fan belt so it wouldn't spin and started her up.

No noise! Which can only be a good thing.

Turns out the water pump pully is buggered.

I guess the bearings have gone eh?

New pump time?

Any ideas where to get one?

Thanks again.

Lee.

Hi

You can find a new water pump in ebay, i think i saw in ebay uk.

I think that the water pump to manta A 1.9 is the same in manta B 1.9 but i think that some one with best knowloge can help you.

If you gonna change your self the water pump maibe you have to take off the radiator (in my father kadett i did to take off) to unscrew the fan.

Good luck

Bugger! :lol: At least its not engine internal :o

You'll need to watch about buying another pump! I was told by an knowledgeable member that newer pumps had plastic wheelie thing rather than the older metal style! I can't comfirm this and I suppose the plastic type will be fine, however (rumour) GM had a lot of problems with the plastic type failing. If it was me? I'd try and pickup a second hand one, as the metal ones rarely fail. Mind thats just my opinion and I could be wrong about the plastic ones.

GL

Keith

ps you'll probably need a short scaffold bar and an 1/2 breaker bar for removing crank bolt.