It's 25 Years Since I Owned A Manta...

Dave Stew

I owned a 1978 1.9 Berlinetta Coupe in 1983 (when I was 18). Loved it, modded it a bit as much as Sainsburys wages would allow. In 1985 I bought another. My Dad had a brand new 1.8s hatch and I remember the novelty of the five speed Getrag box.

Anyway - call it middle age, but I really want a Manta again. This time I want something that has been updated with a modern engine (red top 16v or similar), decent brakes etc. Do these cars ever come up? I bought a Mk2 RS2000 project car in 1992 but never finished it, so know my limitations.

Anyway, enough wittering. My everyday car is a Volvo V70 T5 and I am a regular on their forum, so I'm always aware of that awkward first post!

Hi Dave welcome to the forum,

these cars do come up now and then, just have to keep looking though.

why dont you buy a standard manta and put your t5 engine in? :lol::lol::D

Yep, that would be cool, 250 bhp in something virtually half the weight! My first Manta coughed out 95bhp at the back wheels on a ported head, high lift cam, Weber 32/36 DGV and 2" EARS exhaust.

But that is digressing!

Hi dave just like to say i had a manta berlinneta in 1992 couldnt aford insurance on a gte, remember fitting a child seat to it as my daughter was just born, i bought a gsi hatch last year hence the mid life cris'is, oh and by the way my daughters 18 this year oh dear!!!!!

Hi mate and welcome to the forum.

I have only been on here since Oct 08 and it is one of the best forums I am on.

Mind you can also look out for the Cavalier coupes and hatches as they are pretty much identical to the earlier Manta B's.

Here is a couple of pics from us in the north with the cavvy's.

This one is mine

Mantameet005.jpg

and this one is Colin's.

Mantameet007.jpg

I hope to have a 2.2 with kent cam, 38dgas, ported manifold and other bits and pieces done fitted next month.

Ta,

Deano.

Yep, they look good - very similiar to my two Bs I had all those years ago, less the single slot nose.

hi and a warm welcome dave

midlife crisis happens to us all and want a car from your youth <_<

Aha, I lived in wet Manchester all my life until three years ago. Your hatch in the sig looks identical to the one my Dad bought in 1983. It was an A reg (A227 SMB - how sad is that to remember) and it was the first new car he ever had. Prior to that he had a 1978 Rekord Berlina HL in seventies orange. Got to drive that too as a 17 year old kid!

Here we go, I found a couple of pics.

This one is circa Nov 1985, Southport I think. Clock the 80's hair!

manta1s.jpg

A couple from Southport beach, the previous yellow 1.9. Post donuts. (I was 19...) Circa summer 1984.

ccf2502201000001.jpg

ccf2502201000000.jpg

Chester, circa October 1984.

ccf2502201000002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, Dave. Loving these pics. Same story for me - owned a GTE coupe 20 years ago and now reliving the dream with another one. Call me sad but tonight I'm polishing a set of Ronals while listening to Fleetwood Mac and it could just as easily be 1989!

Welcome aboard, I assume you are in the North West with the piccies.

I got my first Manta(ish) car in 1983, I've still got the mutha, maybe time I weighed it in for a nice Ford Ka or something. :blink:

I'm sure you will find the car your after in the for sale ads on the forum, just keep checking.

Have fun, Sam.