Ignition Fault

irmscher

had problem with my gte ignition wouldnt spring back . i bought the plastic bit at end of the barrel now when i turn ignition off it keeps running angry.gif . i havent touched anything else car is 55000 mile original . i can only stop the car by stalling any clues how to fix

if i take the positive lead off the battery it still runs also

I had that problem, and the fault with me was the short lead that has a round block at one end, that fits into the back of the ignition switch, and the other end fits into a multi block on the loom, just down near the steering columb, it's only about 8or9ins long. the round block contains the spring that returns the barrel, and as you know the alternator keeps the engine running if you disconect the battery.

Julian.

thanks julian thats the lead i have replaced and i was sure that was the problem as key didnt spring back . i mentioned the battery lead as i thought if it was an earth problem the engine would of cut out on the charging side unsure.gif sick of stalling it to stop

Disconnecting the battery on a running car should not stop it running unless your alternator is broken.

When car is running turn off key and remove

If still running disconnect the plug (of the bit you changed to the barrel) from the loom

If it stops the fault is that bit.

If it doesn't stop you have a wiring problem, such as a common earth problem allowing an ignition live to feed back through the ignition when charging or a permanent live running back into ignition live.

Have you done any wiring work recently?

Anything unusual with other electrical circuits, e.g. lights.

Examples of the above comon earth or problems would be

1)cars don't turn off with 2P trick or

2)another where with sidelights on and foot on brake a bad headlight earth can keep car running until you lift foot.

Do the above to narrow it down. May be a second dud part in which case simple. If not remove each fuse in turn to see if car stops, and by that I mean one at a time until all out EXCEPT the fuel pump fuse as pulling that proves nothing. If it stops when you pull a fuse then you have a circuit to look at.

Disconnecting the battery on a running car should not stop it running unless your alternator is broken.

When car is running turn off key and remove

If still running disconnect the plug (of the bit you changed to the barrel) from the loom

If it stops the fault is that bit.

If it doesn't stop you have a wiring problem, such as a common earth problem allowing an ignition live to feed back through the ignition when charging or a permanent live running back into ignition live.

Have you done any wiring work recently?

Anything unusual with other electrical circuits, e.g. lights.

Examples of the above comon earth or problems would be

1)cars don't turn off with 2P trick or

2)another where with sidelights on and foot on brake a bad headlight earth can keep car running until you lift foot.

Do the above to narrow it down. May be a second dud part in which case simple. If not remove each fuse in turn to see if car stops, and by that I mean one at a time until all out EXCEPT the fuel pump fuse as pulling that proves nothing. If it stops when you pull a fuse then you have a circuit to look at.

When you changed the short loom, did you test to sree if it was faulty or not, like using a small flat blade screwdriver and placing it in the slot on the swith end to see if the spring is working or not, because what happens is the spring falls apart and shorts out the connections in the block, . unless of course you know that the one you used is a good one.

Julian.