Over Winter Jobs

andyc

Andy;

Speak to Andy Clears if you need some help with clutches etc.

John

Ian;

The firm who did the balancing etc are CFM Engineering in Reading, person to talk to is Rob.

In essence they did all the work except the crank which they sent to another company to clean, and balance with all the associated parts.

John

• 5 weeks later...

Ok , so after a months layoff due to my lad having a head on smash in his Nova and spending weeks backward and forwards to hospital i'm finally back on Johns car.

I had left the car with the motor and box more or less ready to be pulled so the first job was to remove the exhaust , propshaft and disconnect the gear lever, speedo cable ans reverse switch harness.

Engine and box came out without any problems so next job was to start stripping the engine bay back. There are a few bits that will be going off to the US to be cad plated which will help to keep things looking orginal. All three harnesses have been removed as well as the heater and AC boxes which meant another dash strip out.

Engine bay is now empty and the next job is to block up the holes in the bulkhead and give it a go scrub with some degreaser and then jet wash it down.

Once the bay is clean i can then start to lay in the new modified 1.5 motronic loom to check everything lines up and i'll need to make some tags in the top of the tunnel to hold the Lamba harness.

I also need to fit the mounting studs for the wheel arch liners and new mounting studs for the condensor and also weld up some fixing holes that will not be re-used.

Then its off to the paint shop to have the bay repaint to the same finish as the rest of the car, there will be alot of little jobs to do on this conversion and it will be the attention to detail that will make this job..

JohnsCar062.jpg

Engine & box out

JohnsCar066.jpg

Engine bay stripped

JohnsCar069.jpg

Dash Stripped

Cheers

Andy

Andy

• 5 weeks later...

Well not had alot of time over the last few weeks but i have finally got around to fitting the Fuel Evaporation Canister as the Motronic system uses a evaporation purge system.

The orginal idea was to tuck the canister up behind the front panel and attach the bracket to the chassis leg but the canister was to large and would have got in the way of the oil cooler pipes that will be fitted at a later time.

Next option was to tuck it up between the wing and the A pillar flitch panel. Nick got hold of some Monza washer bottle brackets but this had to be modified to make it flush and the flitch panel had to be recessed a little to give some much needed clearance

JohnsCar075.jpg

This is the final fitting of the canister bracket

JohnsCar077.jpg

And with the canister fitted. I think i'll also drill a couple of hole in the jaws of the bracket and use a zip tie to close them up a bit

JohnsCar085.jpg

And with the wing re-fitted. Not alot of room and i still have the repeater lamp and aerial to play with

Once the canister was fitted i could make the pipe from the canister to the engine bay, the purge pipe . For this i have use orginal six mil plastic pipe and used a hot air gun to warm to pipe to help make the bends.

JohnsCar089.jpg

Not the best pic, black pipe againist a black background but you get the idea. This may not as yet be the final fitting as i might have a look at bring the pipe into the engine bay down by the servo, running it behind the servo and along the heater shelf but i'm not sure if i can hide it well enough.

JohnsCar095.jpg

This is how the pipe enters the bay at the moment.

Apart from fitting the captive studs for the wheel arch liner thats about it for now, by next week i should have the eight mil plastic pipe in so i can run it from the tank to the canister.

Cheers

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Not much has been going on for the last few weeks but have now finally got the evaporation tank fitted along with the pipework from the tank to the canister and canister to the engine bay

JohnsCar101.jpg

Purge Tank now fitted with both tank and purge pipes

JohnsCar107.jpg

Fuel and purge pipes, these will all be hidden by the arch liner

JohnsCar115.jpg

Pipe from the fuel tank the the canister passing through the jacking point, the grommets are from an Omega B that has the same sort of setup

JohnsCar097.jpg

These are the under body fuel pipe clamps that i used. The holes in the rubber section are the same distance as the orginal ones but these won't fit in the orginal metal clamps, also with these you need to fit captive stubs for the clamps to screw to

Next job is to re-work the AC evaporator box to get a better seal againist the bulk head and stop the water getting in

Cheers

Andy