Ascona 400R Build

Retro Power

Looks top :thumbup

Is it on the cards for billing as it's only 106 days away !

Thanks for the reminder on the days left ....... We were only looking at the calendar the other day at Retropower and saying it ain't long till billing it's gonna be close........She will be there!!!!!

all looks stunning :thumbup:thumbup good lcuk with the rest of the work!

may I ask whats happining with the old GTE seat cloth? or is the new cloth being upholstered over the old one?

Not even thought about that !!!!:mellow: why?

I would assume the upholsterer will remove it rather than go over the top of it!

Thanks Rab.Ya can actually have a lick at this years Billing :lol::PB)

:D:D was mare thinkin owethi lines owe a car trailer und a wee early 3am rise when awebuddy is sleepin. ;) Looking forward to seeing.

cheers rab.

• 1 month later...

Right then pinching Retro's words . Time for a big update..........

No huge leaps and bounds as we've been doing a lot of little bits and bobs and getting our 'ducks in a row' so to speak!

So, got a batch of parts back from the platers - bonnet bits, door strikers, check straps, headlamp lens clips, boot striker. Yellow zinc passivate finish.

2011_03250024.jpg

With those bits back, reassembled the door latch/lock/handles, and built up the headlamps with clear indicators and plated clips. Fitted them & the grille.

2011_03250027.jpg

2011_03250028.jpg

Made up aluminium rear arch liners and in-fill panels for the side of the boot area. (the black bits are sound deadeners, and theis part of the quarter panel will be carpeted over)

2011_04080004.jpg

2011_03250032.jpg

2011_03250031.jpg

Next, tackled the rear axle links. Lower links are based on Commodore arms, which have been strengthened, lengthened and adapted to rose-joint fitment at the front.

2011_04020001.jpg

2011_04020002.jpg

2011_04020003.jpg

2011_04020004.jpg

2011_04080005.jpg

Ready for a lick of paint :thumbup

And the latest progress is the start of the wiring. Begun by compiling a list of every wire that will be going into it, along with the length & gauge. Where the new loom will connect to original components (steering column controls etc) the pin numbers are noted and original wire colours.

From this list, a shopping list is compiled and everything ordered. The list is also printed out in very small font and the 'from' and 'to' columns will be sliced up and each one heatshrunk to the ends of the corresponding wire with clear shrink as labelling... I'll show more details when we start actually making up the loom.

2011_04080006.jpg

2011_04080007.jpg

Still more to come !!:blink: :blink:

Flockin Hell !

Picked this lot up this morning , Very impressed!!! Many thanks to Trevor :thumbup

Then carried on to the Towers of Power! To see the guys (and the Scona of course) and drop it all off :blink: :blink:

P1020428.jpg

P1020433.jpg

P1020437.jpg

Mind you we blew it all down before putting in the Veccy , I was covered in the stuff......:lol: :lol:

Then had a good chat and a nosey on the progress!:blink:

P1020408.jpg

P1020409.jpg

P1020410.jpg

P1020412.jpg

P1020414.jpg

P1020418.jpg

P1020422.jpg

P1020426.jpg

P1020427.jpg

All good stuff me thinks!!!B)

Thanks for the update Curt. I was wondering how it was coming along the other day. Looking at your car makes mine look like an old scrapper! No trophies for me this year at Billing then..... Boo Hoo. Have you had any more thoughts about stripes or not yet? See you later... Luke.

Thanks for the update Curt. I was wondering how it was coming along the other day. Looking at your car makes mine look like an old scrapper! No trophies for me this year at Billing then..... Boo Hoo. Have you had any more thoughts about stripes or not yet? See you later... Luke.

Still not decided???? Liking it without at the min but as with all projects this could quite easily change!

Luke yours is SCRAP mate!!

Cheers mate..... I'll remind you about that comment the next time it wastes your automatic A series, or your Ascona with more doors than an advent calender, up the Bypass.... Ha ha ...... Luke.

Edited by 399Road

Still not decided???? Liking it without at the min but as with all projects this could quite easily change!

Hello,

I've settled on no stripes in the end for mine. I think the proper Ascona 400 stripes look too much where they go over the bonnet. I like Brian M's smaller door stripes but didn't want to make my car stand out any more than it already does. I think the stripes look cool but people on my road would think I was a corsaboy if I striped it up. ( They probably think this already anyway ) . I've spent all day today claying and polishing the Ascona for Thorsby show and Retro rides meeting tomorrow , it's now gleaming. I'd best get a bucket of polish for Billing.... See you there hopefully...... Luke.

Picked this lot up this morning , Very impressed!!! Many thanks to Trevor :thumbup

Then carried on to the Towers of Power! To see the guys (and the Scona of course) and drop it all off :blink: :blink:

P1020428.jpg

P1020433.jpg

P1020437.jpg

Curt if you don't mind me asking what is it that has been done to the interior panels :blink: I like it a lot.

Nice work on the car. Was up at Drew's place this weekend picking up my engine and stand. Soooo Looking forward to Billing, with all the cars going to be there (not mine :( hopefully next year) Loads of people to meet and ale to drink :rolleyes:

Make sure you drop by our stand for a pint!! we'll have a barrel on the go!

Ps the panels have been flocked ( if you dont know basically they are glued all over, then electrostatically charged and sprayed with short nylon fibres (2mm in this case) which stick in the glue standing up like a brush, it's the finish used on the inside of the glassrun seal rubbers on most cars

Edited by Retro Power

That finish is called "Flocking" or a "Flocked finish"

Place where I did some contract work I was involved in the flocking of door seals for Bentley, basically, glue is put on, and for want of a better description "felt dust" or flock is sprayed onto the glue, and then the glue cured in an oven.

The door to glass seals on the Manta are flocked surfaces.

Personally I don't like this finish, as being a smoker it will only take a bit of ash to ruin the surface, not that it couldn't be washed off, but wouldn't wipe off as easy as it would with vinyl.

Edit,,, oops got sidetracked when halfway through the post there hence pretty much the same reply. but a bit later

Edited by opel2000

Cheers Clive, Callum, & Nat. I had never heard of that before, It looked a like felt cover to me :blink: when you mention the door to glass seal I can picture it now. IMO it gives the interior are more modern look, but keeping it retro

Quote "Make sure you drop by our stand for a pint!! we'll have a barrel on the go!" :thumbup

• 3 weeks later...

loads more progress. tons of little bits and bobs, but I'll cut to the chase...

QED direct-to-head throttle bodies on:

2011_05180033.jpg

2011_05180030.jpg

Exhaust manifold fabricated and fitted:

2011_05180024.jpg

2011_05200016.jpg

Seats trimmed and in along with rest of interior:

2011_05180047.jpg

2011_05200021.jpg

2011_05200017.jpg

All glass etc in - stuck some old manta 4 stud hubs and revo's on the front (the actual ones will be 25mm wider offset) and Jag wheels on the rear (look so bad I dare not even photograph!) to get rolling. She's coming together now!

2011_05200020.jpg

2011_05200015.jpg

:thumbup :thumbup