My New A Series Project.

h0tr0dder_uk

Finally cut out my first chassis rail section...only 3 more to do

IMG_0044.jpg

Here it is mocked up in place. As you can see it will make the whole front suspension unit sit approx 2-3" lower than standard.

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

Heres what the rear chassis rails mocked up so you can see how much narrower they will be

IMG_0047.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got myself a welder (off ebay) but the bleeding thing doesn't arc properly so its going back.

In the meantime I did some more cutting - I cut out the other inner rear wheel arch.

IMG_0053.jpg

This allowed me to copy the original chassis rail and work out how the new one will fit.

As you can see its will allow the axle to sit approx 3" lower than std. It will also be 2.5" box section (stronger than the 2" original)

IMG_0050.jpg

Here you can see how the new rail will protrude into the interior slightly.

IMG_0052.jpg

Edited by h0tr0dder_uk

Finally got my welder back so I tacked some 1 3/4" box section to both ends of the chassis rails

IMG_0109.jpg

This helped to space the rails correctly and will slip inside the 2" box section that I'll use for the center chassis rails.

IMG_0111.jpg

Then I temporarily clamped some more 1 3/4" box in the middle and tacked on the top and bottom.

IMG_0112.jpg

and voila - the rail takes shape

IMG_0110.jpg

All thats needed now is to finish weld it, grind it and do the other one.

Finished welding one of the chassis rails. Here you can see that it was welded in 1" increments to try and prevent warping. Check out how much splatter is produced from this flux cored wire (I went with this as apparently its better for thicker work, I'll stick to co2/argon mix for thinner stuff).

IMG_0165.jpg

Heres a few pics of the rail before I linish down the welds

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

Now I need to grind them down and do the other side.

Edited by h0tr0dder_uk

• 2 weeks later...

OK - finally got my chassis rails looking how I want them

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

But - I have stopped working on them now as I'm considering a new direction. I have found a GM car that uses a similar front suspension but has these major improvements :-

1) the track width is approx 3" narrower which would allow me to fit the wheels I want.

2) you can get dropped spindles

3) you can get big brakes kits

4) you can easily get 5 stud hubs

So - I'm gonna try and get my hand on one of these front suspension clips and build my chassis around that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

OK - new update.

I havent done much on the car over the last few months as I've been enjoying my summer over here and trying to source a chevrolet chevette front suspension. After being messed around a lot I've decided to stick with the manta front suspension and modify it. I decided that the new chassis rails that I originally built wouldnt be strong enough for a V8 so I built the following rails

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

Also I decided to sell the F.A.S.T xfi fuel injection system that I was gonna use as I figured it would cost way to much to build a big horsepower small block chevy engine. Now I'm gonna buy a salvaged late model camaro and transplant the entire running gear (LS1 engine, 6 speed gearbox, axle etc) plus air con, radiator, steering column, etc etc

If anyone has a turbo front spoiler for one of these please let me know

Very nice project,I must say! Good luck with it! I was wandering if you could help me a bit...I saw your cardboard template of original chassis rails,and thats exactly what I need since my manta was crashed somewhere in the past,and those rails are slightly bent.Therefore,exact dimensions would mean a lot to me,and they are rotten too...so,if you can share,please do!! I`d appreciate your help!!

• 4 weeks later...

"Very nice project,I must say! Good luck with it! I was wandering if you could help me a bit...I saw your cardboard template of original chassis rails,and thats exactly what I need since my manta was crashed somewhere in the past,and those rails are slightly bent.Therefore,exact dimensions would mean a lot to me,and they are rotten too...so,if you can share,please do!! I`d appreciate your help!!"

I'd love to help but unfortunately I wouldnt ba able to guarantee that my templates were 100% accurate. One of the reasons I cut off the original rails is that they had been cut off just in front of the front crossmember and another set welded on. Since I'm gonna be fitting a higher horsepower engine this wouldn't do.

Edited by h0tr0dder_uk

• 1 month later...

the only other pics I have are during the build

MantaA004.jpg

MantaA003.jpg

manta008.jpg

and when it was finished

mantaa09_05_08004.jpg

mantaa09_05_08003.jpg

mantaa09_05_08002.jpg

mantaa09_05_08001.jpg

My new project will be pretty much the same but with either