My New A Series Project.

h0tr0dder_uk

• 2 weeks later...

Bought this rear end this afternoon.

independantrearsuspension.jpg

Its from a late model ford mustang cobra. It has an 8.8" limited slip differential, vented disc brakes and is obviously an independant rear end. These units can take a lot of horsepower and it should be relatively easy to narrow to fit the manta. Not bad for $250

Cheers Clive, To be honest I nicked the idea of the guys that install frame stiffeners in Camaros. I figured if I run a full frame from front to back and add a simple cage it should stiffen the shell up a hell of a lot. Im also mounting the front suspension subframe directly to the chassis, and will most likely do the same for the new I.R.S I bought. The rear has some nice big vented discs so will fit similar up front so it should also stop and handle really well.

• 1 month later...

Update

OK - I've been waiting to get some new wheels for the rear of the car so that I can narrow the I.R.S to suit the offset. Found these beauties for $200 the pair :thumbup so had to take a road trip on sunday to get them.

newrims3.jpg

They are 17x10's

Here they are mocked up under the car

newrims2.jpg

newrims1.jpg

It looks like a bunch of the mexican cars that I see driving around here :lol:

But I will be removing the huge tyres (265/70/17) and fitting some nice low profile tyres (275/40/17) and lowering it a lot, so it should look like this when done

modifiedrims1.jpg

modifiedrims2.jpg

Right - where is my angle grinder :D

• 2 weeks later...
OK - I've been waiting to get some new wheels for the rear of the car so that I can narrow the I.R.S to suit the offset. Found these beauties for $200 the pair so had to take a road trip on sunday to get them

17" x 10" $200 :blink:

Just not fair, really not fair and I mean seriously badly nastily unfair. As winter started to dig in here and Skylines MOT was due end of Jan, weighed up that ....

1 Cost of fuel

2 Salt on road

3 Snow on road

4 £240.00 for 2 235-40-17 for the front of the Skyline was just beyond my reach at the time Actually could have got some budgets for a lot less, but also could have crashed the car dead easy on them too.

Nice to see all this moving along and looking like it is going to be a damn serious bit of kit when done, but wouldn't really expect anything else from you mate :thumbup

On a side note I was looking on Google images last night and your Tubbed out B cropped up which led me to your thread where it had to be sold due to your move, any idea what happened to your old B or rather what is happening to it?

Thanks Clive. There are some bargains over here, especially with the economy the way it is. My B-series went to a guy that just wanted a cheap race car, so I think he was just gonna finish it off. I wouldnt think it would take him long to complete it.

here a quick pic with the new lower profile tyres on it. now i can mock up the rims and narrow the rear end

manta_25_04_2011.jpg

Heck Pete, aint they a bit on the narrow side of tyre for you mate?

Yeah, they are a bit narrower than the tyres one my old car lol, but I wanted to make sure I could get tyres easily as this is gonna be my daily driver. These tyres are 255/45/17 but I might go up to some 295s or 305s eventually.

Still not decided whether to run a 5.7 v8 or a 2.4 ecotec.

5.7 V8 is a nice old lump that can be made to look and perform stunning, along with that awesome sound, When at a Hot Rod meeting in Leics there was a chap turned up with his recent finished project and fired up his SBC and had the diverter flaps to divert the Ex through open pipes, absolutely awesome sound.

Don't know the 2.4 Ecotec, but from reading in the past i know there is a lot of tuning parts in the US for the Ecotec engines, must say that a good lightweight 2.4 would make the car a good daily drive wih I would suspect reasonable performance too.

• 2 years later...

no, he sold it unfinished as he lost garage space, it was that pic of that wheel and stance that made me sell my nova to start a build (canadian build thread) i am collecting a mazda mx5 this week to use for suspension and possible turbo motor so i can finally put some new pics into the build, i know pete regrets selling his and will have another no doubt!!

That does suck... I was really interested to see what he would come up with, the last one he built in the UK turned out awesome... So you're using MX-5 bits, sounds intriguing, definitely will be checking out your thread.

Cheers mate