My Gte Coupe (Barn Find)

GMC

doing a brilliant job there any more progress or pictures ? what is the mod on the pick up pipe

:thumbupsorry just realised you have a new baby congratulations .i was too busy looking at the pics

The pick up pipe has been altered to suit the 'big wing' sump. Apparently the original pipe does the job, but risks oil starvation if the car is cornering sharply. Here is the SBD link for further info;

http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Info_sheets/Oil_systems/Manta%20pick%20up%20pipe%20&%2016v%20baffle%20mod.htm

• 8 months later...

Well, I said it would be a while before I was back, and it has been..........8 months!!!!

The wee one is great and has just started crawling, so all is good!

Anyway, over the past couple of months I've started doing a few odds and ends to the engine & car, so here's where we are now!

Thought I'd spend a day refitting panels, glass & trims etc. It's good to see some movement again!

a72r.jpg (Thanks for the help again Stu!)

imkncw.jpg

demno3.jpg

2sba1pv.jpg

9iti88.jpg

jgo09s.jpg

After re-fitting the panels, I got back into rebuilding the C20XE

A naked cylinder head :o

2jd0ym9.jpg

Exhaust valve - Before & After!

5z34te.jpg

Cylinderhead re-assembled (new tappets fitted also)

21kfrlh.jpg

Head & block back together eventually!

21cf0k0.jpg

1snk7s.jpg

Edited by GMC

And so the engine assembly continues..........

The increasingly rare 'big wing' sump fitted!

5an779.jpg

Timing set up and belt fitted

2sbpf1v.jpg

Rocker cover sitting on top, but a few alterations required due to the side mount distributor bracket

30sypty.jpg

Looks absolutely superb bud! Funny how those little ones suck up your spare time (and cash!!). Will be watching this thread from now on, as almost the same as my project!!!

Good luck pal! :thumbup

Edited by si-north

Looks absolutely superb bud! Funny how those little ones suck up your spare time (and cash!!). Will be watching this thread from now on, as almost the same as my project!!!

Good luck pal! :thumbup

Thanks for that, & yes your right, before you know it weeks have passed have anf the ££££ are mounting, but it's all about the detail for me :thumbup

What about your own project, is it on here? If it is, drop me a link for a browse.

Thanks again!

looks great. a white manta with a redtop :) lovely. what wheels you planning?

Thanks for that.

Agreed, white was always my favourite also!

Wheels, I'm thinking white 15" revolutions. I actually have a set, but the wrong off-set, but will give them a try to see if they suit before investing in a new set?

• 1 month later...

Engine now ready for installation. Won't install it yet. will build the rest of the car and drop it in last.

2vja0i9.jpg

Turned the car across the garage now......gives loads more room to work around it.

1o7fqs.jpg

245etk6.jpg

jqpcoz.jpg

Next job - bumpers, lights, side skirts, then tank & fuel lines...........

• 4 weeks later...

well get on with it,now the lighter nights are here you have no excuses as I plan on putting the engine in this car in the summer not the winter in a cold garage as done this enough for your good self over the years with the rally cars.finger oot......

well get on with it,now the lighter nights are here you have no excuses as I plan on putting the engine in this car in the summer not the winter in a cold garage as done this enough for your good self over the years with the rally cars.finger oot......

No bother Stu, still on programme for being finished late summer!:thumbup

Ok, latest update below...............

New fuel lines now fitted. Decided to use high pressure plastic - cheaper and easier to install than metal.

2qwirnr.jpg

142rnea.jpg

kcm2s5.jpg

Twin headlamp casing fitted. Unfortunately the rear mounted supports/adjusters are incompatibable with the casing.....think I have a mix of original kit & after market (ebay purchase!!). Not a big issue, will modify to suit.

5v2new.jpg

Side skirts now fitted also

291hr38.jpg

1zbxg1k.jpg

Half the 400 boot spolier fitted. Tricky job on a car with no existing fixing holes, but perfectly fitted after some precise measuring. (if I do say so myself!!)

986q83.jpg

Next, the spoiler fins on the rear quarter then onto the brakes. I'm need a new brake master cylinder unfortunately.

Edited by GMC

Thanks Steve. Agreed on white, definitely my favourite too!

Yours is a fine looking car, immaculate condition!

Will keep the updates coming, hoping to have it on the road late summer but work & family keep me busy too!!

ger, better give alan a phone as a recall you need to use metal fuel lines under the car as plastic ones are an mot failure. Things may have changed over the years but it used to be a failure. Just to be on the safe side.Looking good with the side skirts and spoiler,starting to come together.

ger, better give alan a phone as a recall you need to use metal fuel lines under the car as plastic ones are an mot failure. Things may have changed over the years but it used to be a failure. Just to be on the safe side.Looking good with the side skirts and spoiler,starting to come together.

:blink::o are you sure on that, GM fitted plastic lines as standard over many years, and I MOT'd 2 cars where I had fitted rubber fuel lines beneath the car, never had any issues come MOT time ever.

will check it out & let you know guys.

Thanks Stu!

Id be suprised too, i used the blue plastic ones off an Astra when i did mine and no problems with the MOT.

Must say cracking project she does look superb in white, well done

Edited by steveopel

Most manufactures use plastic pipes now but they are a proper high pressure fuel line, 50 psi plus on a td5 diesel discovery and they are perfectly acceptable for mot purposes. I personally would not use that reinforced clear pipe that you have as it goes very stiff and brittle in no time at all, if you dont want to use copper or steel lines then fuel grade high pressure rubber lines would be better imho

was just pointing out to ger about the fuel lines as the type hes used aint the best. yes you can use plastic nowadays like on most cars but its high pressure type not the flexi type ger has used,plus that type tends to harden up and crack.

when is billing,as keep hering about it and sounds like a good event? are we taking a trip to it gerry boy even if car not finished?

Not sure when it is Stu, but will find out?

Not much progress with the car over the last couple of week, work is hectic at the moment. Hope to get back in over the weekend.

Stand-by for more pics!!

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, it's been a very busy month at work so not as much done to the car as I'd hoped, nevertheless, here's the latest update........

The boot spoiler side sections are now fitted.....

juehdd.jpg

io22ih.jpg

And the sunroof fitted (a bugger of a job!!)

1128uvb.jpg

As I mentioned in a previous post, my master cylinder was knackered. The piston seals appear to be split, can't build up any pressure

2jb89cw.jpg

But I managed to pick one up on ebay....system bled nicely and now have a nice firm pedal

33wsc5f.jpg

2ryhnpe.jpg

My brake coversion should work nicely

59wmc.jpg

Next job.........trims & seals!

The trims were looking tired against the white of the car, so 30 min with 'wet & dry' and a few coats of satin black should smarten them up

f4mx00.jpg