Long Shot Request Maybe?

marty GT

not sure if these are rare as hens teeth or not but i'm after a fuel injection petrol tank to fit a hatchback manta bblink.gif

can anyone help,local to wirral would be ideal but wouldn't mind travelling too far to pick up either.

Marty;

New Hatchback Injection petrol tanks are like hens teeth to locate and cost a packet if you can find one.

Has taken me 2 yrs to find a new Hatchback tank and cost serious cash.

You are better of IMHO finding a good second hand one, stripping the outside and getting it repaired.

John

Marty;

New Hatchback Injection petrol tanks are like hens teeth to locate and cost a packet if you can find one.

Has taken me 2 yrs to find a new Hatchback tank and cost serious cash.

You are better of IMHO finding a good second hand one, stripping the outside and getting it repaired.

John

thought they might be john,i'm not particularly after a new one.i'm doing a redtop conversion into my carb'd 1.8 manta so a second hand would do.

i've been round to pick up some parts of UPK tonight and he suggested modding the excisting tank and just add a return nozzle to it so may end up doing that.

cheers martin.

Martin;

Yep you can modify the carbed tank for fuel injection.

If my memory serves me there is a thread somewhere on how to do this.

I think it was written by "Mantadoc" but i could be wrong and i am sure that someone will be along who can explain how it is done.

John

Martin;

I think it was written by "Mantadoc" but i could be wrong and i am sure that someone will be along who can explain how it is done.

John

cheers john,i'll have a dig around for that.conveniently there's a fuel tank refurbisher just down the road from me so may be worth a visit to see if he can do anything too.

Martin;

No problem at all.

Maybe time you joined the club as a full member.!!!!!

John

i'll get round to it soon,mick who i got the old girl off said i should do full membership too.only had it since wednesday and i'm already tempted for another one for track/drift days.

maybe with a 3L v6 in ithuh.gif

Martin;

John

Nope, wasn't me. The popular ways seem to be removing the fuel sender and soldering / welding / brazing a pipe into that to avoid the welding of a tank.

The other one seems to be putting into the filler neck with a long pipe if using as a pickup.

Be aware the GTE has a much larger bore on the low pressure / high volume tank side of the pump. If everything has a cost and manufacturers do nothing for free, it implies the larger size is needed. Therefore standard pipe may be better of as return with larger feed added.

Then again think it has been done several times on here fed from standard pipe with no reported ill effects.

thanks for all the info guys,i'm now looking at either modding the carb tank already on the car or sourcing a non manta tank from breakers yard and making it fitwink.gif

Edited by marty GT

you can get an alloy one made for same or less than a gte tank that is the way i will be going when i do mine unless carbs come out to play :D . oh my god the barking of twin 45s on full throttle unbeatable :lol:

you can get an alloy one made for same or less than a gte tank

That sounds like a good idea ;) I'm not convinced it would work [alloy] on a hatchback BUT could be done in steel ;)

if I still had my hachback 'i'd give it a bash'.

Edited by keith1200

I seem to remember a thread about a tank from a Calibra fitting,using standard straps but with mods to the filler.

They have an in-tank pump,and are plastic i believe

Andy

I fitted the calibra one to my hatch, pain in the arse to do but one less rusty thing on a manta is a good thing

DCP_1277.jpg

Link to mancona build

DCP_1281.jpg

http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/11226-mancona-hatch/page__st__20

I fitted the calibra one to my hatch, pain in the arse to do but one less rusty thing on a manta is a good thing

DCP_1277.jpg

Link to mancona build

DCP_1281.jpg

http://forums.mantac...ch/page__st__20

looks a good idea kevin but i dont want to cut my floor up really,dont mean this to sound big headed but the car is too good for chopping up.i want to get the redtop in without cutting the car up too much.good project though matethumbsup.gif

you can get an alloy one made for same or less than a gte tank that is the way i will be going when i do mine unless carbs come out to play :D . oh my god the barking of twin 45s on full throttle unbeatable :lol:

Think this is the way to go defo, you can also ask to have them baffled to stop fuel surge with enthusiastic driving. Mate of mine had a problem with fuel pipe bore sizes causing the car to virtually cut out at higher revs/speed, that was on an ascona with a reasonably tuned motor. He ended up putting a larger bore outlet from the std carb tank and increasing the bore of the fuel pipe to the carbs to ,i think, 10mm.

HTH

Chris

keith that is why they are made to fit in spare wheel well and have a box shape 15mm deep by 1000mm by 500mm. the swearl pot is in the bottom with 12mm outlet pipe :)

similar to a lpg tank idea.

Rutts? when you said 'alloy tank'! the image of a small shoebox in the boot of a coupe 'springs to mind' :lol:

I'm sure the firm 'rustbusters' supply's a liner/sealer for fuel tanks, then add a cheap mig, tank from the scrapyard and a wee bit of metal bashing ;)

I reckon it could be done :thumbup

Keith

just drill a 12mm hole in bottom put your piece of pipe in and weld it up. only goes bang once no problem. my mate welded a sunbeam tank on a rally car while petrol was coming out the hole :unsure: that was nerve racking i can tell you nowt happened either but would never recommend it as he is a real nutter :lol:

Edited by rutts