Oil Pressure Gauge

akis-driver

Hello guys i have a problem with my oil pressure gauge. well it doesnt work. im talking about the stock oil pressure gauge fitted to the opel ascona b or manta b with the pressure reading instrument panel. is there a way to test if its the gauge thats gone wrong or the pressure sender? also where can i get a new sender as i think that would be easier to replace than the gauge itself? does anyone know the correct part number? thanks for your time and help guys

If the gauge is operational but displays the following behavior:

Reads zero with ignition off

Reads off the top of the scale with ignition on

It means that the sender is either not connected or broken, in general.

If it permanantly reads high and does not drop to zero when the key is off, then slap the top of the dash. It's stuck (usually because sender or wire broke).

If it stays at zero all the time the sender wire is shorted or it's broken.

Thanks for the tip mate.It actually reads zero when ignition is off and goes off scale with ignition on and the light is constantly on so that probably means i need a new sender or one that works anyway....Any ideas where i can get one?Ive seen a few senders on ebay for vdo gauges but dont know if they are suitable anyone have any ideas?

Oh and the sender is connected i check that first!!!

Edited by akis-driver

First seei f the wires are connected AT ALL!!!

Usually the oil light function in the same unit is far more reliable so points to wiring snapped off.

It's the two wire plug (At least one of the wires is blue / green tace if I remember rightly) about 6" or 8" nearer the drivers side than the fan wire plug and not the 4 wire plug in the same spot, more or less, that services injection if fitted.

Half the time a very gentle pull shows it's not attached.

I have exactly the same problem. The wires are snapped, caused by being so close to the exhaust manifold. Another one of the mantas many flaws! Replacements are on ebay for around £30-40. If you can get some heat resistant wire or sleaving it may help or some heat wrap on the manifold to protect the wires.

• 6 months later...

sorry to bump an old thread but I also have a problem thats probably relevant to this. My mk1 cav 1.9 cih oil gauge has an intermitent fault were it works fine then drops back to zero, then with a little rev of the engine it comes back up again, would this be just a wiring issue or something more sinister?

thanks in advance for any reply's

sorry to bump an old thread but I also have a problem thats probably relevant to this. My mk1 cav 1.9 cih oil gauge has an intermitent fault were it works fine then drops back to zero, then with a little rev of the engine it comes back up again, would this be just a wiring issue or something more sinister?

thanks in advance for any reply's

Probably the same