My Centaur

rallycinq

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Always good to have help David hope you get plenty done over xmas, life does have a habbit of getting in the road of our projects :(

Ps Don,t have to much xmas spirit before u start working :)

Life, and other cars. been fitting EPS to my autotest car.

Christmas spirit will be consumed on Boxing Day, I am driving on Christmas day. Work starts 11am Monday 27th.

Cheers

D

• 2 weeks later...

Tidy Spaghetti

HPIM2036.jpg

Air box fitted

HPIM2037.jpg

Then another problem. Went to swap tanks to discover that the Centaur tank has been 'relieved' with a mallet to get it in. It also sits on different mounts, so we have swapped over the outlets and put a return through the sender plate.

HPIM2038.jpg

More work tomorrow

Cheers

D

Edited by rallycinq

The tank shouldn't of just been beat with a mallet, as the angle is a good bit different should of been cut and braised when the car was built. The reason the tank neck is different is due to the rear parcel shelf being modified and sitting lower for the soft top. They then added another bracket to the tank mounts to move the tank out 1" so it didnt foul.

The solid parcel shelf forms part of the inner strength support from the rear of the door, across the back and to the other door. I cut and modified the injection tank for my Centaur in the same manner.

Good work on the EPS on the autotest, did you fit a corsa rack and add the pot for the steering feedback.

Edited by Robbie

The tank shouldn't of just been beat with a mallet, as the angle is a good bit different should of been cut and braised when the car was built. The reason the tank neck is different is due to the rear parcel shelf being modified and sitting lower for the soft top. They then added another bracket to the tank mounts to move the tank out 1" so it didnt foul.

The solid parcel shelf forms part of the inner strength support from the rear of the door, across the back and to the other door. I cut and modified the injection tank for my Centaur in the same manner.

Thanks for that, we guessed that was what had happened, although it does look as though the tank has been battered to get the breather to sit lower. Tank will be going back in today, once the pipes are run.

Good work on the EPS on the autotest, did you fit a corsa rack and add the pot for the steering feedback.

My autotest car is not a GM product, its Polish. I used its sister's Power column (having already used its quicker rack)and ECU, no pot, just a switch, so I have full assistance or nothing.

Cheers

D

Edited by rallycinq

Hello,

In your axle photos you have an alloy diff cover fitted. There were some similar looking ones on German Ebay a few months ago. I wondered if it was one of these or if you know where I could get one. Does it clear your Panhard rod ok? Keep up the good work , I much prefer the look of your car with all the late Manta bumpers and spoilers etc. ..... Luke

Hello,

In your axle photos you have an alloy diff cover fitted. There were some similar looking ones on German Ebay a few months ago. I wondered if it was one of these or if you know where I could get one. Does it clear your Panhard rod ok? Keep up the good work , I much prefer the look of your car with all the late Manta bumpers and spoilers etc. ..... Luke

It was one of the ones on german ebay a wee while ago. I've never seen one in the UK, never seen one before I spotted one on the Retro Cars site and went looking.

It clears the panhard rod no problem.

Thanks

D

Today we expected the car to burst into life.

These things rarely happen but it was a nice thought.

Car would turn over, plenty of spark, plenty of compression, plenty oil pressure (after a dod of grease in the pump), but no fuel. Fuel at the back of the injectors, but injectors not pulsing any fuel through.

Changed injectors, no difference

After much head scratching and proving, it turns out the problem is the (new old stock) pressure regulator. It is jammed open sending all the fuel back to the tank, not producinmg enough of a 'head' behind the injectors. blocking the return, and suddenly we have life. Its not good running at full pressure so its only been started for a second at a time, but we have the answer.

Will be checking my spares pile for other regulators tonight, but will probably end up with an inline, adjustable one for the final version.

Must hand the workshop back tomorrow, so final assembly, tappet setting, timing setting.....and back into its shed for winter.

Cheers

D

Edited by rallycinq

Well that didn't go to plan.

Chasing a problem that was three seperate problems.

Confusion over pressure regulators, 4 blocked injectors, and a fuel relay with an intermittant dry joint.

So, 4 different injectors, the correct pressure regulator and shorting out the relay block and it runs sweet as a nut.

Off to the factors tomorrow for a new relay.

Then waiting for Clive to get better so I can mount the fuel pump properly and tidy up the boot install before its off to the body shop for the paintwork.

New axle will have to wait for just now.

Cheers

D

It runs, sound smooth too, and thats before I reset the tappets or do the dynamic timing.

Wee cooling issue that could be a stuck thermostat (see thread in engine section for details)

Started on some of the tidying inside. Removed choke cable, filled hole in lower dash and also took the opportunity to blank the HRW switch position.

Spray that up tomorrow and refit next week.

Cheers

D