Fuel Pump Relay Wanted

Mrbus

Cant say anymore. Car was fine earlier. Went to start car, it started for a sec then died. Cant get fuel pump to work so im guessing its the relay as i remember someone saying that they always pack up

u can still get these new m8 from any good auto electricians they are about £28.00 including the vatthumbsup.gif

Yeah i know. Just fought that £26 was a bit much for a relay. Tried the knocking trick hoping but still nothing. At least im pretty certain that this is the problem.

have you tried the fuse .....

no 7 if my memory still works

Yep, tried that. Just have to wait until my relay turns up. Local motor factors wanted £40 plus the vodka & tonic

Got one off ebay for £27

The fuel pump runs through fuse 7 on a GTE, and those of you who have tried will know you can pull every fuse out of the box but 7 and a Manta will still run.

So what's the point? Well if your injection relay goes you can usually limp home like this, a copper coin bridges either fuse 6 or 8 to 7 to power the fuel pump. Leave the injection relay in place when doing this or the injection won't run.

Other uses:

Ran out of fuel and don't want to flatten the battery cranking while you wait for pressure

Emptying the tank / flushing new pipes

Finding out which is the feed if you don't trust going by pipe position

Some muppet connected an imobilizer / cut out switch badly

Fuel pump live will back feed to ignition, so you can pull the key out and leave the car running

Downsides, if its a poor connection the coin can get hot so don't melt the fuse box

No warranty implied or given.....

The fuel pump runs through fuse 7 on a GTE, and those of you who have tried will know you can pull every fuse out of the box but 7 and a Manta will still run.

So what's the point? Well if your injection relay goes you can usually limp home like this, a copper coin bridges either fuse 6 or 8 to 7 to power the fuel pump. Leave the injection relay in place when doing this or the injection won't run.

Other uses:

Ran out of fuel and don't want to flatten the battery cranking while you wait for pressure

Emptying the tank / flushing new pipes

Finding out which is the feed if you don't trust going by pipe position

Some muppet connected an imobilizer / cut out switch badly

Fuel pump live will back feed to ignition, so you can pull the key out and leave the car running

Downsides, if its a poor connection the coin can get hot so don't melt the fuse box

No warranty implied or given.....

Ok so i did this coin trick & it started. I take it that is defo my fuel relay that needs replacing then?

What you've proven is the car isn't running the fuel pump without a coin in place.

The most common cause of this and easiest to test is the fuel relay.

You could potentially still have a wiring fault but I've not seen it come to that yet.

If you have a look at the wiring diagram on the relay to see the switched terminals you should be able to prove a live exists and also check continuity with a volt lamp or meter as far as the fuse, but to be honest not worth the effort till you have a relay and once you have one probably won't be a problem.

Save the old one, might be interesting to get to the bottom of the fault sometime.