Rear Fog Lights

shooie811

is it illegal not to have fog lights on the back of a 78? mines dont look standard and just look s**t i was just goin to do away with them all together ?

cheers

Don't think the rule came in till the 80's some time, nip and ask an mot man he'll know for sure.

HTH

Chris

I hate the exterior fog light, I used the rear reflectors in the lights and converted them to fog lights for the Centaur. Passed MOT with no problems

These are the lampholders

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I didnt use their bulbs I got LED ones

2 holders for each reflector does well, you only need to have them on one side of the car if you want.

Hope this helps

Edited by Robbie

I hate the exterior fog light, I used the rear reflectors in the lights and converted them to fog lights for the Centaur. Passed MOT with no problems

These are the lampholders

I didnt use their bulbs I got LED ones

2 holders for each reflector does well, you only need to have them on one side of the car if you want.

Hope this helps

thats a great idea cheers :thumbup

someone called me god once! been there done that, i amazed the mot inspector about three yrs ago! the car is 78, but thought id add one, because i could do it, do it well, and its there for safety after all, as i drive the wee car all year round.

http://www.totalopel...read.php?t=4848

works well Matt, I done the same using leds to the V8 A series about 7 years ago, when they first brought out LED lights. Are you going to the ballhelbert show can meet up l with you and sort out the spoiler, missed you at the Argory when we were there. Nout driving them all year round, quick lick of paint over stickers and all and they go on for ages. Doubt the 400 rep does the winter driving like some of the rest of the summer cars :) Fickers can rust to much lol

Edited by Robbie

yep no bother, can get u sorted for that sure, said i would when i seen u,

"quick lick of paint over stickers and all and they go on for ages."

The sticker thing was my choice, it was the only thing that wasnt taken off the car,and as it was a bare metal shell respray I wanted the sticker just noticeable, its subtle, and its part of the cars history being 1 of 33 registered in the UK, its a manta 1.6s

as u know! quick, it wasnt quick enough, and i didnt really think painting was ur thing!

3 yrs driving and not a fault on any of them, hard to beat, cars that are well put together, they do go on for ages, as I know! thanks for the comments :thumbup

< deanos car looks cleaner without it the aftermarket fog fitted! hope the guy get his fog light fitted or not fitted, ps sorry for the hi jack!

just dont fit leds, they are a bit maxpower!

Edited by brady

Fog lamps were not a legal requirement until 1st April 1980 so if your car was registered before then it doesn't need them. Robbie used his reflector for fog lamp, I used my right hand reverse lamp and painted the bulb red. Seems to do the job and pass the mot no probs.

Cheers, Peter.

These will pass an MOT test but wouldn't pass an SVA test from what my memory tells me.

Check DVLA for proper legal stuff.

John.

PS I like the fog light on my hatch 'cause it hides a dent in the back panel!!

Not a big pile into paint Matt I just been spraying cars for years :) know the job done right when i prep them and layer on 4 or 5 coats before sanding and buffing, dont get bubbles coming through the front panel or anywhere else after a few months

Hope mantas never have to go throught an SVA (NOW IVA) none would pass lol, infact most 2 year old cars would not pass an IVA test now. Example all exterior rads have to be greater than 2.5mm , Old SVA was hard enough but the new IVA is way worse

Read up a load of IVA stuff on the Cobra build and it aint funny :( That said LEDS will pass IVA its down to the light mounting height and dia of the lights and edge radius, headlights are basically the same but with the correct beam patterns and correct stamps on the fittings. As for other parts of the car Simon Peckham is well up to speed on IVA and moded cars, you really dont want to chop the body now or ur in IVA teritory if the new rules come into play :(

Lights look well Leon :) One sure thing about LED's they wont give any bother for years to come :thumbup prob why most car manufactures are heading that way this past few years.With the lens covers no one knows whats behind them so not max power or halfords stuff :)

Edited by Robbie