Manta 1972 Sr Auto Project

manta88

Yeah that is a real shame that they have covered over the bad bits as she does look mint from the first photo. But I guess with a car this old you have to look under the body to find out :(. To be far looks like you are doing one hell of a job mate well done will look awesome once you have finished.

Nick

Having had 3 a series in the workshop recently, i can certainly say that mick's is probably about as good as you get these days!!

its not a question of how rotten (as it WILL be) its more how bodged and covered up the rot is!!

PS looking good Mick!!!

Give us a bell when you're looking at paint :D

Thank's will do. What would you do with the layers of paint before a respray,remove them or just fill where needed?

Edited by manta88

depends on the condition of them really. Given the lengths you've gone to on the rest of the car i'd be tempted to bare metal it. You can get the bonnet bonnet boot, wings and doors chemical dipped (give us a call and I'll point you the right way) pretty cheaply, you've already stripped the underside, so that doesnt leave all that much to either blast, sand or paintstrip off

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just finished the lower rear quarters , inner valance and outer valance repairs,I've been collecting repair panels and have just ordered some more from Leidinger Tuning and M&M Dronten for the new sill, they all arrived very quickly and have always been very pleased with the parts.

Parts from the shed.IMAG1527.jpg

Parts from Leidinger and M&M

IMAG1534.jpg

IMAG1535.jpg

Front nearside inner wing.

IMAG1525.jpg

IMAG1524.jpg

IMAG1530.jpg

IMAG1541.jpg

The other side was bad, but as expected the nearside is worse.

Blimey Mick that was one rotten shell you took into. I know doing a bare shell restoration on the the Black broadspeed rep and the white V8 A series, they took a lot of work to rebuild ground up but that's a labour of love and an apprenticeship in welding lol.

Get more hours in and on the road or you will be getting the pension before you can enjoy :)

:mellow:

Blimey Mick that was one rotten shell you took into. I know doing a bare shell restoration on the the Black broadspeed rep and the white V8 A series, they took a lot of work to rebuild ground up but that's a labour of love and an apprenticeship in welding lol.

Get more hours in and on the road or you will be getting the pension before you can enjoy :)

Robbie I'm going to try to finish all the welding this year, I don't get a lot of free time on the car just the odd weekend and an the occasional hour at night, on the 19th I will have owned the a for 3 years, I'm still a good way off a pension :mellow: The shell did turn out to be more challenging than I thought.

Drill a couple of 20mm holes with holesaw Mick, 1 above each channel in the jacking point so u can put a load of dinitrol in there later in the resto.

Thanks Robbie will do.

Great work Mick!

Good to know that these panels are still available, are they taking some searching out?

There not too hard to find Dan but none are available in the uk.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

It's been some time since I updated my project so here goes. Had a break from the endless welding and have been restoring some parts.

IMAG1819.jpg
All these parts have been replaced with new parts.
IMAG1829_1.jpg

IMAG1827.jpg

IMAG1830_1.jpg

IMAG1891.jpg

IMAG1880.jpg

IMAG1879.jpg

IMAG1890.jpg IMAG1749.jpg

Back to the welding again :) 

Edited by manta88
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...