Manta A Cuts Out When Hot

Mantney

Hello All

My Manta A runs well until the engine temp reaches about half way between normal and hot, it then begins to pink and will cut out completely if i cant get it moving to drop the temperature.

It happens when i am in town traffic particulrly on hot days, after leaving it to stand for 10 - 15 mins or so it will restart and run a bit rough untill i pick up speed, it will then run nicely until it gets hot again at which point sput, sput stop :(

Any sugestions of what might be causing this would be greatly appreciated as i'm a bit of a novice.:blink:

its a 1.9s and water is circulating through the radiator quite happily.

Regards

Ant

Are you sure fuel is still reaching the carb once it starts struggling? sounds like vapourisation to me.have you moved/adjusted anything to do with the fuel pipe recently?

Or the coil could be starting to break down once it gets hot

Andy

Edited by Andy18s

When it cuts out will it turn over? My one overheated and refused to turn over until it had cooled down. This was due to a blocked cooling system. Used some radflush and then some denture tablets, gave it a good flush with the hosepipe and hopefully all is now OK.

Hello All,

Thanks for the advice, i havn't done anything with the fuel system and thers no mayo in the oil or water. I think i will start with the coil and see what happens. One thing i can't figure out is on the top of the rocker there is a breather with 2 pipes coming of it one has a hose going to the manifold and the other has no hose, this was until recently blocked with some tape and a bung but i had to remove it as it was forcing oil out of the dipstick. Don't suppose if anyone knows if there should be a hose on this and if so where would it go to?? noot sure if this is part of the conking out problem.

Regards

Ant

Are you sure fuel is still reaching the carb once it starts struggling? sounds like vapourisation to me.

Andy

Had the same problem with a GT/E, over-heating and the fuel would just 'vaporise', wait 10-15 mins 'it was fine' until it over-heated again. 'put the car heaters on full blast'.

When it cuts out will it turn over? My one overheated and refused to turn over until it had cooled down. This was due to a blocked cooling system. Used some radflush and then some denture tablets, gave it a good flush with the hosepipe and hopefully all is now OK.

Also check the thermostat (bowel of hot water)

Sounds like incorrect timing.. check also the underside of your oil cap, you may have a blown head gasket. I had the same problem in my B series a while ago..it was the head gasket..

Def do the above also :thumbup