Timing Issues Electronic Ignition

Thomas77GR

Hello

I fitted an electronic ignition kit to my A series yesterday (which is fitted with a B series carburetted 2.0 L engine) - it is one of these £30 kits sold on ebay (it fits inside the dissy) The car was running ok before (start on the key straight away, run without pinking, however sometimes it did run - not sure how it's called - continue to run for a second or two after I'd switched the ignition key off. (why is it doing it?)

Anyway, I'd set the timing with a friend using a strobe light before (I don't remember how many degrees BTDC) and I assumed that with fitting the elec ignition kit I wouldn't have to adjust/tamper with hte timing settings again. Did I assume wrong?

The engine came off a B series GTE, runs on a webber and I've fitted an electric fuel pump... I also run it on unleaded without any additives..

What is the correct setting (for optimum running) for it? How many degrees before (or even after?) TDC does it have to be set? Has anyone else had any issues with these kits off ebay (it bolts on the dissy baseplate where the points sat and the two wires black and red go through the hole where the condenser sits)

ALso, the instuctions with the kit said connect the black and red wires to the posive and negative terminals of the coil. I've had to run a small stretch of extension wire to both as they were too short.

As for symptoms, after fitting the kit, the engine started straight away however it ran a bit rough, and after a short test drive I noticed that it felt quite hot (though the temp gauge showed 82oC)

anyway, any thoughts as to how to tune the system right now?

thanks

Hello

I fitted an electronic ignition kit to my A series yesterday (which is fitted with a B series carburetted 2.0 L engine) - it is one of these £30 kits sold on ebay (it fits inside the dissy) The car was running ok before (start on the key straight away, run without pinking, however sometimes it did run - not sure how it's called - continue to run for a second or two after I'd switched the ignition key off. (why is it doing it?)

Anyway, I'd set the timing with a friend using a strobe light before (I don't remember how many degrees BTDC) and I assumed that with fitting the elec ignition kit I wouldn't have to adjust/tamper with hte timing settings again. Did I assume wrong?

The engine came off a B series GTE, runs on a webber and I've fitted an electric fuel pump... I also run it on unleaded without any additives..

What is the correct setting (for optimum running) for it? How many degrees before (or even after?) TDC does it have to be set? Has anyone else had any issues with these kits off ebay (it bolts on the dissy baseplate where the points sat and the two wires black and red go through the hole where the condenser sits)

ALso, the instuctions with the kit said connect the black and red wires to the posive and negative terminals of the coil. I've had to run a small stretch of extension wire to both as they were too short.

As for symptoms, after fitting the kit, the engine started straight away however it ran a bit rough, and after a short test drive I noticed that it felt quite hot (though the temp gauge showed 82oC)

anyway, any thoughts as to how to tune the system right now?

thanks

Hi,

I also fitted one of those kits to my A series, and mine is running fine with it, but my Manta had the ac delco dizzy fitted to it originally so I had to first get hold of a bosch dizzy before I could even fit it on, then I just set the timing to ear and its fine, so just loosen the dizzy off and give it a little turn both ways with the engine running untill your happy with it.

Worked for me, Ray :thumbup

Thanks for the replies,

I must say I removed the ballast (?) that was bolted on next to the coil and was connected to its positive terminal (simply because I didn't realise what role that was serving there).. Is it possible to find such a ballast new as mine looks a bit old and dated?

How do you decoke the engine?

If it's running lean how do I adjust it? On the webber is it the lower (bottom) 'mixture' screw? and how does that go, clockwise to make it leaner?

How does one set the timing statically when there are no points to check when the test light lights..?

15 degrees BTDC is fair?

Is your A series an Orange 'N' reg? seen it a few weeks back driving along Docks rd.

I'm a wee bit confused about the Engine you have in your A series! is the engine from a GT/E? i.e. 1984-onwards. If so, you'll should see a wedge shape, line that up with the timing mark (when car is running and using timing gun). If you suspect its running lean? easy way to findout is; checking the spark plugs. If it's a GT/E engine? it wouldn't have points to start with, so why bother fitting an after market elec ignition kit! or maybe I've missed something :blink:

sounds like your timing.

[edit] also check the gaps on the spark plugs.

Edited by keith1200

Hi, yes it's the orange N reg, it's on the A series gallery on here too :)

Ok, then I guess my engine didn't come off a GTE, when I bought the engine the guy told me it was off a GTE but it came with the bosch distributor which had points and condenser..

7-10 Degrees BTDC would be more like it. If your engine is a GTE one that someone has fitted points ign. to then one would assume it may well have a GTE cam/head. Injection cam is different to the carb. one so might cause it to run funny.

GTE engine no.starts with 20E. Think the head has XR2 stamped on near to no.1 plug?

Would get the timing issues and carb set first as the de-coke involves removing the head and de-scaling the valves and combustion chamber in the head.

On a separate issue I know there's a product on the market now which is supposed to un-clog EGR valves. You spray it in the air intake.......wonder if it would remove the crap that builds up on the valves??

As Keith said checking the plugs would give an indication of how the engine's running. Brown is good, white too lean, black too rich.

John.