Rally Car Engine Mod

Titson

pic1.jpg

Rocker cover off,ready for removal of boats!

pic3.jpg

Original studs and boats were removed to allow the new ones supplied by Cat Cams to be fitted.

pic3a.jpg

New studs in place, these must be threadlocked in,preferably with the red high strength locking fluid

pic3b.jpg

New Roller rockers in place, these use hollow nuts with an Allen keyed internal locking nut,

They were all locked in place using threadlock, gaps set at the same spec as for the boats which are specific to this race cam.

pic4.jpg

Engine was run up to temperature and allowed to cool, settings checked and re locked with red high strength threadlock.

pic5.jpg

If the nuts and locking nuts aren't threadlocked,they will chatter loose,which will allow the small studs between the roller and the follower to come out with some very nasty noises following!!, if using the Frontera alloy rocker cover, a minor mod is req'd to allow the rollers to miss the internal fluting on the topside of the cover internally,ie-get the grinder out and then thoroughly clean it out!

Edited by Titson

Hi, can I ask you what sort of brake servo/ master cylinder you are using?

They are Girling remote servo's, one serving the front and other serving the rear brakes, as for master cylinders, I use a 0.675 on the front and a 0.700 on the rear on a bias peddlebox.

They are Girling remote servo's, one serving the front and other serving the rear brakes, as for master cylinders, I use a 0.675 on the front and a 0.700 on the rear on a bias peddlebox.

Thanks a mil.

I've a Lexmaul inlet manifold on a 2.4 cih engine and its fouling the original servo.

Think I'll try the route you took.

Thank you

Thanks a mil.

I've a Lexmaul inlet manifold on a 2.4 cih engine and its fouling the original servo.

Think I'll try the route you took.

Thank you

Fair enough, I am using throttle bodies, because of these I also had to let the master cylinders into the bulkhead by 30mm, made a special steel box up and welded into the bulkhead.

• 2 weeks later...

Fair enough, I am using throttle bodies, because of these I also had to let the master cylinders into the bulkhead by 30mm, made a special steel box up and welded into the bulkhead.

Steve

Just for info, a new design of roller rocker is about to go into production which are a big improvement on the CatCams setup. The new ones are a copy of Bob Legeres design with a few mods, Bobs were tested to just over 10000rpm with no probs.

I believe that at around the 7000-7500 rpm range the CatCam rockers, due to the bad geometry with the small push rods, can jump out of position letting the push rod fly out. Thought you may want to know as it has been known for the pushrod to disappear into the engine causing massive damage,then again some have come out with no damage at all. With the amount of money thats sat in these race motors i thought it would be worth bringing your attention to this.

Cheers

Chris

Steve

Just for info, a new design of roller rocker is about to go into production which are a big improvement on the CatCams setup. The new ones are a copy of Bob Legeres design with a few mods, Bobs were tested to just over 10000rpm with no probs.

I believe that at around the 7000-7500 rpm range the CatCam rockers, due to the bad geometry with the small push rods, can jump out of position letting the push rod fly out. Thought you may want to know as it has been known for the pushrod to disappear into the engine causing massive damage,then again some have come out with no damage at all. With the amount of money thats sat in these race motors i thought it would be worth bringing your attention to this.

Cheers

Chris

Well, that's comforting!!!

Thanks for the heads up,

Regards

Steve