Front Oil Seal

outsider

hi all,

put my 81 cavalier in garage last year to sort of store it, the reason was the usual thing, i would take it out and 5 times out of ten, some idiot would bang there door against it or back into it, you know the usual stuff idiots do,

well before she went in the garage i noticed the front oil seal around the pully was letting some oil out when the car was running, looked in the manual, but other than a small mention of a seal, theres basically no info on how to change it, can anyone help?

many thanks

lee

First of all is to drain any coolant from the rad and remove for ease of access. Remove the the rad fan which should be a fixed typr but might be a viscous coupling type.

Now disconnect the battery and remove the starter motor as you will to knock up some sort of tool to hold the crankshaft via the flywheel while you undo the main crank pully, this will either be FT and you'll need a bloody long bar or it will come undone with a normal braker bar.

Once the pully bolt is undone gently lever the pully off the crankshaft and you will then be able to see the oil seal. To remove the oil seal use a small flat blade screwdriver the lever it out.

To refitt smear the outside edge ofthe new seal with some oil and press the seal back in taking not of which way round the old seal came out.

While your there might be worth checking the water pump if it hasn't bee used for a while as you will need to remove the crank pully again if the pump packs up

Then re-assemble

Cheers

Andy

many thanks andy for that, it sounds so stupid to ask, but ive done tons of work too this car,you would think i would just know this info, but i did nt, so it was best to ask,

ok, does anyone know the best place to get the front oil seal?

many thanks

lee