Performance Information And Parts

opelmanta007

Hi

Wanting to build a performance 2ltr CIH engine,

does anyone have any technical information

and secondly does anyone have any performance

parts hanging around i.e.: big valve heads, cams up-rated oil pumps etc.

Any info or contacts would be appreciated as i would

love to get this little baby peculating. biggrin.gif

Cheers

Phil

Whats your budget?

Risse motorsport do a 16v head for them, tho make sure to be sitting when you read the price. :lol:

http://www.risse-motorsport.de/

On a more down to earth budget, the likes of courtenay will port your head and fiddle with valves.

http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=6 (about 1/4 way down page)

Edited by Shug

Hi

Cheers

Phil

Phil

Good to see someone else who wants to tune a CIH.

First need to know what sort of budget you have to work with, CIH stuff isn't always that cheap and some stuff is getting harder to find in this country. plenty of stuff in Germany, Sweden but you have to get it here. Once i know what money you have i can give you an idea of whats available.

Cheers

Chris

Aswell as what sort of budget you have, how much power are you hoping to get from it?

Also what sort of use will the car be getting once the engine is built.

My last CIH engine had 0.5mm oversize pistons, Stg3 big valve head with 45mm/40mm valves,think compression was just over 11to1, Kent OP234 fast road cam with solid lifters, induction kit, decent 2.5" exhaust and all set up on a rolling road.

It was still running injection as i was road rallying it and couldn't run twin carbs because of the regulations.

She had just shy of 150Bhp on the rolling road :D

But after an oil pump/ oil warning light failure killed the bottom end i decided not to re-build it and stuck a 20XE engine in instead.

The XE is soooooooooooooooo much nicer to drive, and much quicker.

I wouldn't go back to the tuned CIH now i've had the XE

I know it costs to get all the bits to do an XE conversion, but you can do it for around £800 to £1000

something like Sump £150, Gearbox £150, Exh manifold £160, 20xe engine £300 (there are ways of making it cheaper)

But if you end up buying new CIH parts you'll soon be over £800 to get 150bhp and it won't be as driveable

Kent op234 cam kit is £300 by itself, getting a decent ported big valve head will be over £500 (Risse motorsport have them listed at around £1300 :blink: )

Obviously if you're doing a race series that limits you to the original block type(like hillclimbing) i can see why you'd stick with the Cih (although i'd be getting a 1.8 manta as that would allow you to goto a 20xe ;) )

If you just want a little more ooomph from the CIH and will only buy cheaper secondhand parts then you can improve things for a lot less cash.

The injection system isn't great and can be binned for carbs easily which should see a good improvement.

Infact there is now a bike carb manifold available from Bogg-Bros

Add a camshaft kit and you'd have a nice improvement over standard.

Oh and the standard manta exhaust manifold flows really well and doesn't need changing untill your getting serious power.

On that point about Bogg bros, I should mention they have now done their first ever CIH manifold.

I know this cos it was me! :D

photo.jpg

Couple points to note about it tho:

1. In order to have the inlet runners the same length, you need to split the carbs. They'll do this for you, but it'll cost a little more.

2. You need to cut the manifold yourself as they didn't want to trim the edge off themselves. (cos the bolt is shared with exhaust manifold)

3. Its a tight fit with the thermostat housing, tho I think the 2.0 one is smaller so you'll prob be ok. I had to remove the TPS from the carbs.

Including the carb refurb and rejetting, manifold, and mounting them onto the manifold delivered ready to bolt on came to 400 quid. If you just want the manifold and can do the carbs yourself, the manifold costs 170 ish plus vat.

Edited by Shug

Nice one Shug, I've been running R1's for more than a year now and they are far superior to the Webers I had on previously. Not a Bogg manifold tho' ;)SportshatchatDobbies004.jpg

Sounds better on trumpets as well . . .

Sportshatch30Aug09InsuranceValue-2.jpg

Edited by vauxsenb

Hi

Cheers

Phil

I built a 2.4 CIH with approx 220 on the rollers, this had flowed head,matched flowed manifolds, big valves,high comp pistons and kent cam running on 48mm throttle bodies through Omex 5 management system.

I do have 2.0l Omega comp pistons, poss spare for the right price,might also have a mild cam if I can find it!!

Jondel Race engine at Irchester did the work on my head and manifolds and then set up at Northampton Motorsport

Whats your budget?

Risse motorsport do a 16v head for them, tho make sure to be sitting when you read the price. :lol:

http://www.risse-motorsport.de/

On a more down to earth budget, the likes of courtenay will port your head and fiddle with valves.

http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=6 (about 1/4 way down page)

Make sure to be sitting when you read the price. :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

You have to pay for masterpieces

Edited by OPEL PARTS GREECE

Aswell as what sort of budget you have, how much power are you hoping to get from it?

Also what sort of use will the car be getting once the engine is built.

My last CIH engine had 0.5mm oversize pistons, Stg3 big valve head with 45mm/40mm valves,think compression was just over 11to1, Kent OP234 fast road cam with solid lifters, induction kit, decent 2.5" exhaust and all set up on a rolling road.

It was still running injection as i was road rallying it and couldn't run twin carbs because of the regulations.

She had just shy of 150Bhp on the rolling road :D

But after an oil pump/ oil warning light failure killed the bottom end i decided not to re-build it and stuck a 20XE engine in instead.

The XE is soooooooooooooooo much nicer to drive, and much quicker.

I wouldn't go back to the tuned CIH now i've had the XE

I know it costs to get all the bits to do an XE conversion, but you can do it for around £800 to £1000

something like Sump £150, Gearbox £150, Exh manifold £160, 20xe engine £300 (there are ways of making it cheaper)

But if you end up buying new CIH parts you'll soon be over £800 to get 150bhp and it won't be as driveable

Kent op234 cam kit is £300 by itself, getting a decent ported big valve head will be over £500 (Risse motorsport have them listed at around £1300 :blink: )

Obviously if you're doing a race series that limits you to the original block type(like hillclimbing) i can see why you'd stick with the Cih (although i'd be getting a 1.8 manta as that would allow you to goto a 20xe ;) )

If you just want a little more ooomph from the CIH and will only buy cheaper secondhand parts then you can improve things for a lot less cash.

The injection system isn't great and can be binned for carbs easily which should see a good improvement.

Infact there is now a bike carb manifold available from Bogg-Bros

Add a camshaft kit and you'd have a nice improvement over standard.

Oh and the standard manta exhaust manifold flows really well and doesn't need changing untill your getting serious power.

An engine at that spec should produce more than 150bhp. My 2.0 with 234 cam, 45mm inlets, bit of home porting done to the head,std pistons, std exhaust manifold and down pipe with 40 dellortos was just shy of 160bhp. If you stick with the injection 150bhp is all that it will run to without bigger injectors,etc. The 2.2 motor i built was at around the 180bhp with a big wodge of torque, quick motor that was faster than alot of 16v motors. That was basically a std 2.2 bottom end,decent head,big carbs, 244 kent cam, vernier pulley and nothing else really but ran into problems that std clutches wouldn't take the power so expensive clutch then fitted.

There are different views on the XE,i personally am not a great fan, they just don't have enough low down grunt for what i want. They are a good motor but do have there own issues as do some areas of the CIH. The std motors are 150 ish and will easily tune to 180-200 but as you tune them they will become peaky and the low down torque will suffer. If you want to go more than this then you start down the same big money route. QED will get you to 220 bhp but the cams, follower etc and forged pistons will set you back about £2250, this is without the throttle bodies or carbs.

This definately a horses for courses issue, and what you want from your car. CIH motors are definately a torque motor and you can build some big power motors for not an extortionate amount. The XE is a good motor out of the box as it has had the bottom end balanced properly from the factory, the injection system is better, will be more driveable because of this (a fully mapped system on a CIH will have the same effect) and will give better fuel economy, if this is an issue.

For inspiration check out opel gt forums and look at some of the articles on there (rallybob in particular) also check out Vagos with his 2.7 opel CIH ,an absolute beast,there are some other 2.7 and 2.5 CIH shown on there as well.

This all boils back down to how much money you have and how much work you can do yourself. Once thats known theres enough info and experience on here to help you with whatever route you decide to take.

HTH and good luck

Chris