What Carbs On My Gt/e

ryancoupe

hey guys ive an 85 gt/e hatch, i bought a 2.0 cih engine that a man had in a rally manta, it has ported and polished head high lift cam bigger valves etc.

this engine was running on twin 48 webbers when he had it in the car but he then fitted them to the x/e. i fitted the engine into my car but had no carbs so i fitted my origional injection system. i got the car going and it wud go like hell but i cud never get it to run right on take over and low revs etc and cud never get the immissions right for m.o.t and it was always over fueling. the guy reckons it wud need to be run on carbs to run right.

i have a manifold to run twin webbers and a manifold to run a single.

what should i do? i was told by a man that a 32/36 dgv twin joke wud be the job for now.

any help and tips and info would be much appreciated

cheers mate

If it was running 48s it sounds like it was fairly well tuned. If you want the best performance out of the motor you need a minimum of 45's, i had 40's on my 2.0 race motor and they were overbored but guy on the rolling road said they were on the absolute limit at 160 bhp. As a good every day carb as rutts suggest, the 38 DGAS is a really good carb, but don't expect miracles on the fuel economy. Bike carbs could be an option dependant on your budget. I haven't gone this route as the guys at Bogg Bros reckoned that they might not cut it when i gave them my engine spec. If you check what cam is fitted then we can figure out what sort of increase it should give you then match the carbs to that. Should be on the nose or tail of the cam. Kent no will be something like OP 234.

HTH

Chris

If it was running 48s it sounds like it was fairly well tuned. If you want the best performance out of the motor you need a minimum of 45's, i had 40's on my 2.0 race motor and they were overbored but guy on the rolling road said they were on the absolute limit at 160 bhp. As a good every day carb as rutts suggest, the 38 DGAS is a really good carb, but don't expect miracles on the fuel economy. Bike carbs could be an option dependant on your budget. I haven't gone this route as the guys at Bogg Bros reckoned that they might not cut it when i gave them my engine spec. If you check what cam is fitted then we can figure out what sort of increase it should give you then match the carbs to that. Should be on the nose or tail of the cam. Kent no will be something like OP 234.

HTH

Chris

cheers chris yeah i no what you are saying im tying to go the cheepest route tho at the minute and i just want the car going again. i have to check the cam alrite to see what type is in it. there is so many options just. also getting my hands on either or is difficult enough. i was chatting to a man this morning that has a set of 50's set up for a 2.0 cih hes in to minds weater to sell them or not at the minute tho. thanks for your help anyway.

turned out my dads mate had a carb that he used to run his on. a 35/45 varajet 11. its in realy good nik and he claims was a great carb to use on a 1.9 or 2.0 cih engine. his car was similer to mine, hy lift cam lightend and ballanced etc. he reckon fuel economy wasnt that bad and when you u put your foot down she would realy rev and had a great sound. plus i got it for nothing. only thing is i need the 1.9 or 2.0 intake manifold if any one could help me with this.