Manta Pics,exc Coupe E540Vbg

steve price

Well done Steve, watching this one closely as I saw it before you got your hands on it. Clearly the best thing that could have happened to this car. I'll be down to see it when it's done!!! Gotta make sure my baby is sweet by that time too! The white exclusive sure is inspiring mate :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

• 4 weeks later...

just finished off the n/side sill where the previous restorer made a hash of the weldingSDC10534.jpg

moving on to the back panel where they did an horrid job with seam sealer over the joins of the 1/4 panels and back panelSDC10533.jpg

ground it all off with the grinderSDC10532.jpg

stated the repairs with fibre glassSDC10536.jpg

shows signs of previous repair/filler where the fog lamp goes,but overall its a good panel

however i am doing away with the fog lamp as ive got myself an original irmscher wrap around bumper as per german gsi,still want the rear panel near as damn it to factory finsh though?may sell the original exc coupe bumper undecided on that but its complete with bulb holders in monaco blue,bear it in mind if you need one,thats it for know

steve

Nice coupe, great work on that.

Are you keeping it original? ( apart from the rear bumper)

My first Manta was a monaco blue exclusive coupe and i think it was one of my best cars, love monaco blue, then my wife bought a monaco blue exclusive coupe too, yea monaco blue :thumbup

standard except the rear bumper,which is an irmscher wrap around,to be honest i jumped in to fast on this coupe as i should have left it in liverpool,gaz[couperman] will agree with me on that?but hey i own so i will do the best i can to make it as good as i can afford,but it will never be a patch on my white coupe,but when the bug gets you we all know what happens dont we

have removed the boot lid in order to get at that horrible seem sealer stuff the previous owner had someone do its yukSDC10576.jpgSDC10575.jpgSDC10578.jpg

just got this genuine irmscher wrap around rear bumper :rolleyes:

SDC10574.jpg

this is what im hoping to end up with ??????????

SDC10577.jpg

image i found of gsi dont know where its from or whos car it is

steve

I have one of the RMJ copies of one of them bumpers. I have had it for about 10++ years and have never decided what to do with it. It needs a little repair job on it but nothing major, it's only fibreglass. Them seams are all looking so much better mate. And the area where they botch-jobbed the sill repair - oh my!! You're doing well mate. It looks to be more than £500 quids worth of work that disillusioned seller said it would take to get it mint!!! FOOL! :lol:

Onwards and Upwards.... Another nice day, time for a spin.

Keep going mate, I want you to get this finished soon as so I can come down!

GAZ

gaz that paul whatever his name was is a total "a" hole,the bumper is original stamped irmscher manta b on itSDC10579.jpgSDC10580.jpg

looking so much better now that seam sealer stuff is gone,even though the wrap around bumper is to be used i still wanted it done behind the bumper,even though you wont see it?

SDC10582.jpgSDC10581.jpgSDC10583.jpgSDC10584.jpgSDC10586.jpgSDC10587.jpgSDC10585.jpg

getting closer to going to the paint shop :thumbup

just to recap on the state of play with this 87 exc coupe

bought it in liverpool a few months ago was adv on wikki wirral and e bay,after selling the white exc coupe for £4800 + £1000 deposit i had and still got from someone called guy from up north whom i only met 1 time and that was when he gave me the £1000 deposit i neva seen him from that dat to this,except i did track his father down who told me basically that his son was a t--t and to keep the money so i did,since selling the white coupe to help fund my daughters wedding i had this horrid gut wrenching feeling when i opened the garage doors not a nice feeling i can tell you,anyway i jumped in feet first with the blue coupe as it was 1 0wner 79k with full gm history all done in lookers gb in bikenhead also the supplying dealer,sadly the gent who owned the manta had died in 1999 and it was stored away in the garage,until some bright spark got his hands on it mot her and adv her gaz couperman came along first as he is local to the area,gaz left the car there which is what i should have done?,i only really wanted an honest daily driver and really didnt want to get into a resto job,ive been forced into doing much more work than i really wanted to,but shit happenz i suppose,

when trawling through the threads on omoc you really can see how the members are dedicated to their cars and a lot of the times the std of which the resto are done are exceptional in fact i look and read in awe,and take my hat off to you,this car of mine will be good and make a good daily driver but will never be a proper nut and bolter as some of you have done again total respect to you all

steveSDC10588.jpgSDC10589.jpgSDC10590.jpgSDC10593.jpgSDC10592.jpgSDC10591.jpg

like i say doing the prep in my workshop,got to paint around the doors,boot,under the bonnet,then she is going to edwards autos in bridgend for its re - spray in original colour monaco blue thanx for lookin

steve

been painting around the doors,bonnet,boot 2 day,trying to keep the cost down of getting this exc coupe of mine presentable,as ive said before this is not a nut and bolt resto job,still wishing id left this coupe in liverpool,the paint has been supplied by edwards autos in bridgend south wales and he is then going to re paint the body for me

this exc of mine is the darker shade of the variants of monaco blue according to his mixing scheme

SDC10655.jpgSDC10654.jpgSDC10653.jpgSDC10652.jpgSDC10651.jpgSDC10656.jpgSDC10658.jpgSDC10659.jpgSDC10657.jpgSDC10622.jpg

having to use these new light fittings as the ones on the irmscher wrap around bumper fell apart on removal

, :thumbup steve

have to agree. normal 2k definate advantage over water based if you can find a place that can get it & use it..just had my cav painted & several bits of other cars recently & found the water based even though it uses a 2k laquer is very soft.scratches very easily .you can rub your nail over it & you have a scratch.also lifts very easily from edges. garage told me it was to do with the solids content of the laquer. problem is they woudlnt use normal 2k because they said it has to be water based stuff nowadays. talk about technology going backward.