Torque Tube/rear Axle

davo

hi

i'm after a bit of advice/help

at the front of the torque tube where it meets the prop it passes through a rubber that apears to be atachted on three sides to the cross piece.

the problem i have is one of the three atached points is no longer atatched.

can this rubber be replaced & if so how?

or if i filled the area wtih sticaflex would this work & do the job

hope this makes sense

cheers

I think its only bolted on with 2 little bolts from underneath the cross piece, and its pressed on to the aluminium tube. It was a long time ago when i changed mine, take the torque tube off, undo the 2 bolts then carefully cut the rubber mount off without damaging the ali tube then put a new one on.

Dont know where you can get a new rubber mount from, try finding a second hand one maybe

hope this helps

hi there. yes as stated above they are mounted with 2 bolts at the bottom. there is no top mounting.its merely a bump stop arrangement. assuming yours is attached with the bottom bolts then all is correct. HOWEVER. correct was never a perfect arrangement even when these cars were new.the mounting was far too soft & magazine test drivers often reported of a 'rubbery tremor'.ive heard of people modifying this area to a 3 bobbin mount to aid strength & try to get rid of the tremor. also filling the 'doenut' rubber bearing holder in front of it with silicone to stiffen this up too.

i would like to hear any other advice on this problem area from other owners also as it is a major design flaw which spoils an otherwise excellent handling car.

hi

we modified ours using three hard rubber bobbins cut down slightly and drilled holes in the mounting plate to put the thread through.

can't advise where the bobbins came from as they were attched to an old axle.

this definately works as we are now able to put the power down on the stages without the axle trying to twist left or right.

regards

Ian

hi

thanks for the replies.

mine is all ok then,its the top thats not attatched.

on closer inspection i can see it is just a groove to locate in

but like has been said it not only looks wrong it shows up whilst driving

so any modified tips/solutions & of course pictures, would be greatly appriciated

• 2 weeks later...

You can get uprated ones from Dr Manta for a few euro or wind in old fan belts to stiffen or fill with polyurethane ( Sikaflex, tigerseal) and add more mini bobbins, put a steel torque tube on. you will get more vibration so make sure your fillings are good :rolleyes:

Regards

Kev