1800 Exclusive Hatch Near Swansea, £400

spiney_norman

As the title says, I've got an 1800 Exclusive hatch near Swansea that I bought with the intention of returning to the road but I don't think I'm going to get around to it any time soon so I'm offering it for sale here.

It's going to need welding, I haven't had a chance to have a really good look around but the A posts don't sound too clever when the doors open (you can see them flexing as the check strap reaches the end!) and the driver's footwell is definitely rotten. Roof's got some holes at the back near the tailgate hinges so I'd guess this means the chassis rails and sills are likely to be rotten too, so I'd recommend coming to have a look so you know exactly what you're getting yourself into. The tailgate's rotten but I've got a spare gold one to go with it, and it's got a Monaco blue bonnet at the moment. Also the windscreen's a different tint to the rest of the glass, but I'm pretty sure I can get a full set of bronze glass together if anyone wants that.

All that said, it seems excellent mechanically. I've only had the engine running from a petrol can under the bonnet, the previous owner reckoned there was bad petrol in the tank but I haven't had a chance to investigate. It fired up easily, ran smoothly with no knocks or rattles, got up to temperature and stayed there quite happily. It's got a Weber on it that looks reasonably new too.

The grey stripey seats have already been promised to Sutty, but I should have a spare set of grey Recaros I can chuck in if needed.

It's not beyond saving, but as much as I hate to say it we all know what "those" bits are worth, so it's £400 without seats or £450 with the Recaros.

Image496.jpg

Image495.jpg

Image494.jpg

If anyone's seriously interested, I can be contacted on 07866126592. If there's no interest here I'll probably end up breaking it.

Cheers!

Edited by spiney_norman

Can't be many 1.8 Exclusive hatches left.... I rarely even see a pic of one (other than my own!)

Hope someone decides to save it. If not I'd probably be after the rear bumper....

Edited by Leon

Can't be many 1.8 Exclusive hatches left.... I rarely even see a pic of one!

Hope someone decides to save it. If not I'd probably be after the rear bumper....

Very much likewise. If you decide to break it, I got cash waiting for headlights & doorcards, maybe even the roof lining

You see to me this car looks as though it needs typical Manta underside work.

Spot o' welding (DONE PROPERLY, IT DON'T TAKE MUCH TO DO A PROPER JOB) followed by some good spit and polish on the original paint, and it should be a cracking Manta, and could hit Ebay for 3 times it's advertised price here.

Superb colour, (poss the cest colour they made the Manta's in) just needs a nice set of those Ronal 5 spokes that everyone couldn't sell going back a few years back to make it a tad more an attractive car than the 13" Berlinetta Alloys :lol::lol: laughable as they are.

Would strongly advise not splitting the interior though unless replacing with front and rear recaro's and matching door cards.

As a would be buyer of this if you were a approx 100 miles closer I would rather have the crap but complete original interior or a complete recaro interior but not a mish mash.

These days the more complete a Manta is the better it's appeal to any potential buyers.

Clive, I'd love to do it but it's going to need a hell of a lot more money spent than I've got. If I could weld I'd have a go, but I can't. As it is it's either going to get sold on here or stripped, if it stays outside for another winter it's going to be even worse. I've got a set of the Exclusive Ronals that I can't decide whether or not to keep, they may end up being available with this car if someone really wants them.

As for the interior, I've got a complete Recaro interior in another rotten GTE Exclusive I'll be stripping soon (one of the worst cars with an MOT I've ever seen) so it would be the complete Recaro interior and not a mixed job.

If there was anyone nearby who'd do a ridiculously cheap job of welding it up I'd consider it as I'd love to keep this as a daily, but I really don't have any money to spend on it at the moment. Was going to reshell but I've realised I just don't have the time.

Ooops, Sorry Spiney Norman, I did not mean to put an intention in my post that "you" should sort this, I was putting in a reply to your topic for potential purchasers, and to put a bit of advice (all be it uneeded) regarding the interior for you as a seller.

I advised people looking for Manta's many years ago to simply make sure that any potential purchase should have a good body, as body panels take time and money to make a car look good, (yet alone to source these days).

Underside of the car will be corroded to some extent (more so these days) It can take a lot or a little to repair them, but the plus side is it doesn't need to look pretty or even original it simply needs to be made strong and correct.

As an owners club that has a constitution that states "To preserve the marque" There should be a Preservation type welding guide on this forum, so that any potential purchasers of many cars like this advertised on this website can be seen to be a bit more of a known entity for someone that has always wanted a Manta, but scared of what they may face.

This would make cars such as this more attractive, would keep more Manta's on the road and oh, hang on, may actually increase membership,,,,, Simples ;)

Good luck with the sale Spiney, this can be made into a very desirable car by whoever purchases it.

I advised people looking for Manta's many years ago to simply make sure that any potential purchase should have a good body, as body panels take time and money to make a car look good, (yet alone to source these days).

Underside of the car will be corroded to some extent (more so these days) It can take a lot or a little to repair them, but the plus side is it doesn't need to look pretty or even original it simply needs to be made strong and correct.

As an owners club that has a constitution that states "To preserve the marque" There should be a Preservation type welding guide on this forum, so that any potential purchasers of many cars like this advertised on this website can be seen to be a bit more of a known entity for someone that has always wanted a Manta, but scared of what they may face.

Spot on there clive , often thought something like that would be usefull to folks , a bit like this

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=usetharch&action=display&thread=70135

but manta/ascona/cav specific. It could certainly boost the repairability of a lot of cars if a well documented guide along the lines of Manta's for Dummies, would really need someone with a workshop to do well though as rain/interfering neighbors stops play for many of us. anyone in the club in a position to do the repairs , second party can photograph & document the process if needed.

It would come across as very pro-active for the owners club , I'd even rejoin if it would help it to happen :P

Edited by pat

Spiney Norman, sorry to hijack your post! if you weren't at the otherside of the country 'i'd bite your hand off' at that price! Following on from the last two posts (my thoughts are the same, and I'm no guru). Knowing what I know about sourcing parts, and someone with an empty garage (full of tools), I reckon without even looking at it (going by the picture's)! a couple of hunderd hours and about £500-£600 'in the right hands'. Personal labour would have to be free ;) it's still cheaper AND more fun than playing golf :lol:

I was going to say; 'GL with sale' but at that price you wont need it ;)

Keith

Edited by keith1200

This is the problem I've got, there aren't many people willing to travel down to this part of the world to buy a car like this! I'd love it to go to a good home, so I might be able to meet somebody in the Bristol/Severn Bridge area for petrol money if that's any help to anyone?

Spot on there clive , often thought something like that would be usefull to folks , a bit like this

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=usetharch&action=display&thread=70135

but manta/ascona/cav specific. It could certainly boost the repairability of a lot of cars if a well documented guide along the lines of Manta's for Dummies, would really need someone with a workshop to do well though as rain/interfering neighbors stops play for many of us. anyone in the club in a position to do the repairs , second party can photograph & document the process if needed.

It would come across as very pro-active for the owners club , I'd even rejoin if it would help it to happen :P

I don't know who that guy is that done that weldig and fabricating, but I take my hat off to him, he is one good welder, and really puts my attempt at welding to shame :thumbup

Edited by Julian

• 2 weeks later...