Very Handy Tool

I'm having one made by one off engineering at Brampton near Rotherham which will be for sale when I am done with it ( About 6 months i hope ) I understand the £20's worth of steel and a couple of hours welding principle but for £160 you can have something thats up to the job and its only a body shell but I bet it still hurts ( if your lucky ) if it fell on you.

Having seen one of these off ebay jobs, don't know whether it's from this chap or not, I wouldn't waste my money.

Was poorly welded and made from thin walled box, was fit for roasting chickens over a fire and that's about it.

Have to agree with the above if you've got the skills to do the work that requires one you could make a good un for a lot less.

Yep fair point but as an apprentice trained welder I know that my cebora 130 isnt up to welding the kind of stucture that I would be happy getting under the car it was supporting and currently being in south yorks fire and rescue I think I'd look a bit daft if sombody had to call them out to rescue me. Off the subject thats a nice picture youve got " upk " did you see the Russel Brooks rep that me and my mate took to Billing well its coming up for sale if I wasnt in to my 1978 2.4 b i might have bought it.

Yep fair point but as an apprentice trained welder I know that my cebora 130 isnt up to welding the kind of stucture that I would be happy getting under the car it was supporting and currently being in south yorks fire and rescue I think I'd look a bit daft if sombody had to call them out to rescue me. Off the subject thats a nice picture youve got " upk " did you see the Russel Brooks rep that me and my mate took to Billing well its coming up for sale if I wasnt in to my 1978 2.4 b i might have bought it.

I'm going to put my foot in my mouth and I know that kind of power isn't up to 4 / 5mm really but what I have found is going slow and building the heat in plate after about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch the penetration is fine as the large pieces of steel are effectively heat sinks so it's thinking about what you are welding and multiple passes in a V just like larger welders do when faced with thickness beyond their capacity, just on a smaller scale. Course if welding 2" or 3" box joints that might mean half the welds would be poorly penetrated depending on technique. Though you could throw them in a fire first lol but working with glowing boxes would be rough / dangerous.

You can get very cheap stick (arc) welders that will do this job for you and the hardest part is getting used to the changing electrode length and it's effect on moving the tip.

I'm going to put my foot in my mouth and I know that kind of power isn't up to 4 / 5mm really but what I have found is going slow and building the heat in plate after about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch the penetration is fine as the large pieces of steel are effectively heat sinks so it's thinking about what you are welding and multiple passes in a V just like larger welders do when faced with thickness beyond their capacity, just on a smaller scale. Course if welding 2" or 3" box joints that might mean half the welds would be poorly penetrated depending on technique. Though you could throw them in a fire first lol but working with glowing boxes would be rough / dangerous.

You can get very cheap stick (arc) welders that will do this job for you and the hardest part is getting used to the changing electrode length and it's effect on moving the tip.

I totally agree there are all kinds of options the one above looks more than capable of duing the the job ( not sure on the paint job though same colour as a sierra i once had, lol. ) but £160 for something that Fred Dibner would be proud and the option to sell it on after is to me the best option.

• 2 months later...

A 130 amp welder should be quite capable of putting enough heat into 2.5 or 3mm wall box section, easy for me to say as I don't know this chaps welder, but had no problems doing this with a 90 amp machine before.

Material (box section) with a wall thickness over 3mm is very much overkill for something like this.

My 150 amp welds 6mm steel plate with ease, and having used many big industrial machines I know exactly what I needed to be seeing from my 150 amp kit when welding the 6mm.

Would advise people to steer clear of stick (ARC) unless they have a lot of rods and material to practise on and have someone experienced to show them where there wleds (although look good) have not actually penetrated.

Totally different ball park altogether is stick.

Basic welding guide on this site perhaps????

BTW...... Spot on Rayman :thumbup like your style

Edited by opel2000

A 130 amp welder should be quite capable of putting enough heat into 2.5 or 3mm wall box section, easy for me to say as I don't know this chaps welder, but had no problems doing this with a 90 amp machine before.

Material (box section) with a wall thickness over 3mm is very much overkill for something like this.

My 150 amp welds 6mm steel plate with ease, and having used many big industrial machines I know exactly what I needed to be seeing from my 150 amp kit when welding the 6mm.

Would advise people to steer clear of stick (ARC) unless they have a lot of rods and material to practise on and have someone experienced to show them where there wleds (although look good) have not actually penetrated.

Totally different ball park altogether is stick.

Basic welding guide on this site perhaps????

BTW...... Spot on Rayman :thumbup like your style

Thanks i knew it would work .....or fall on its side :D

Nice going rayman, I really need to get across to you and check it out, didn't know you were going for a full resto!

Cheers mate i wasnt but looking at some of the welds on it thought i had better plus with wanting to mod it thought it had to be solid .Give me a shout over every sunday mate