Gt/j Brake Discs (1983)

discodas

It's not too hard a job if your compitant with spanners.

You need to remove the hub by undoing the the wheel bearing, yes a spline drive is needed to undo the disc from the hub (carefull they will be Fu..... tight and easy to strip the splines)

When putting back together make sue you clean and put fresh grease in the bearing and dont over tighten it.

One other thing I need to replace the rear shoes, can any one tell me are they self adjusting or manual? The shop I am buying from says there are two types?????

standard rear shoes on 1983 Y reg GT/J 1.8

Thanks Guys, will let you know how I get on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disco

Edited by discodas

A bit hard to tell as I've had an '83 berlinetta with self adjusting and another with manually adjusted. Usually self adjusting, if you look (or feel) behind the rear brakes to find a removable rubber plug (for holding off the handbrake lever on self adjusting) or a hex head, one left and one right which are to wind back manually adjusting ones.

Well stripped the front discs, not easy:angry: but sorted, new discs fitted. The only problem was removing the caliper and trying to release the bleed nipple:o.

Sheared right off, well sent of to be drilled and tapped. Still all other ones are ok:rolleyes: