Engine Choices

matt24680

hi there i have a manta gte hatch 1984 and i will be stripping it down and rebuilding it and i would like to have a fairly powerfull engine my question is should i buy a different engine and do a conversion (not red top) or rebuild the existing 2.0 8v one port and polish ,rebore ect? whats the easiest conversion to do and price wise whats the cheapest?

hi there i have a manta gte hatch 1984 and i will be stripping it down and rebuilding it and i would like to have a fairly powerfull engine my question is should i buy a different engine and do a conversion (not red top) or rebuild the existing 2.0 8v one port and polish ,rebore ect? whats the easiest conversion to do and price wise whats the cheapest?

Same old question to ask, what sort of power are you looking for and what is your budget, then we'll see what we come up with!

cheers

Chris

The simplest non-Red Top would be a CAV SRI 130 motor, or if using a 1.8 CAV SRI or Kadett D / Astra MK1 1.8 as injection is nearly identical on those. 1.8 Gearbox / sump / mounts or improvised equivalent. All the expensive 1.8 Manta conversion parts but not the benefit of the full Red Top

Basically if going family II then Red Top makes sense, but if keeping standard injection I don't think any old Red Top with more than 22 years under it's belt will likely be making as much power as a 136BHP X20XEV that should com wrapped in a Vectra for £250 or so. Still needs all the 1.8 bits

However, the cheapest 170 / 180 BHP would be a 12V 3.0 lump which should take about 2 days and £200 including engine and reuse the existing cheap GTE gearbox.

Getting harder to find a good one.

Some people will say go 24V three litre. More costly to buy and fit due to flywheel / alloy sump.

More complex due to Motronic (Jetronic of old 3.0 easily plugs into Manta)

Worth the extra 40BHP? Maybe.