Swapping Diffs?

cieranc

Hi all, I'm wondering if a diff from a Manta B will fit into an A series casing. I've been looking for a complete A series axle for some months, but to no avail.

doveyte2800 has put me onto one, but it's missing the diff. Everything else is complete though.

So, I'm guessing an A series diff would be just as scarce as the axle itself, so would a B/C series diff fit?

Someone else will hopefully confirm, but I'm confident they will.

I've been told the quaife atb diff will fit both so I guess the standard will as well.

That is only if the A series axle is off a later 1.6 or 1.9.

The earlier 1.6 and 1.2/1.3 axle was smaller.

Thanks Shug, any way of telling the earlier/later types apart? I've been looking for an A series axle for months, to no avail. Now I've tracked one down, all complete, but it's missing the diff.

The guy's after £150 for it, is that silly money?

Edited by cieranc

the axle on the 1.2/1.6 is smaller same as chevette 1256 axle, 1.6/1.9 is large like a b series. if you get an a series big casing you can fit the piazza turbo lsd diff and drive shafts in to the a series big casing. also b series is a straight fit. get a 1.8 ratio as it is same as 1.6/1.9 ratio. hope thi helps ;)

Thanks gents, think I know what I'm looking for now. The Piazza LSD's seem to be more rare than the A series axes though!

Hi cieranc,

Why do you need an A series axel? & why are you looking for an LSD?

What axel have you got & what manta are you going to fit it to?

Sorry for all the questions, but i've tried most combinations & maybe able to help you with yours!

All the best, bhp....

the axle on the 1.2/1.6 is smaller same as chevette 1256 axle, 1.6/1.9 is large like a b series.

This helps Rutts, cheers, but raises more questions! When you say smaller, do you mean less beefy or narrower? I was led to believe all A series axle casings were the same width (55"), and the B/C series were 1" wider?

Hi cieranc,

Why do you need an A series axel? & why are you looking for an LSD?

What axel have you got & what manta are you going to fit it to?

Sorry for all the questions, but i've tried most combinations & maybe able to help you with yours!

All the best, bhp....

Hi Bhp, I'm rebuilding a Chevette to a show standard, and am running a Ford Puma 1.7 engine with type 9 gearbox. I've been working on this project for months and until recently never gave the axle a second thought. I joined one of the Chevette forums not long ago and quickly learnt that the stock shove-it axle/torque tube is simply not up to the job. An A series axle is the recommended solution as it's just 1" wider than the stock axle, but the B/C axle is too wide unless arch extensions are fitted. As I'm keeping it looking as standard looking as possible, arch extensions are definately out of the question! Also, I understand the spring seats are in the same place on the A series and Chevette, whereas the B/C has them further apart than the Chev. So really the A series axle seems the best all round solution.

I'm not looking for an LSD, it was just mentioned that the Piazza Turbo axle would have one.

I've ruled out 4/5 linking any other axle, as I want to keep the original back seats so don't want the link boxes protruding through.

At the moment I have no axle, just the standard Chevette axle, but have sourced an A series axle complete, but missing the diff, and a couple of complete B series axles (1.8 and 2.0).

So my plan was to use the A series casing and halfshafts, B series diff and backplates/drums (bigger) and steel torque tube (Chev has ally torque tube, known to be weak).

Good Plan? Or Seriously Flawed plan?

EDIT: I've just noticed Rayman's thread here on a similar subject. Info between these threads seems to conflict?

Edited by cieranc

the manta a 1.2/1.6 small casing is what you have on a stanard chevette 1256cc motor. the 1.6/1.9 has the same width but bigger diff housing like the b series so the 1.8 diff will go in nicely put the pinion gear and diff with crown wheel in the a series axle casing you can get dovet2800 providing its the large diff casing he can advise you. ;)

if you buy a standard piazza axle (non LSD cheap) you can fit the top links down to bottom link making a triangle weld them together connect your panard rod and you have a five made into three link that works a treat with discs on the back and you dont loose back seat easy peasy. :o

Edited by rutts