1.8 Dizzy On Xe Ponderering

opel2000

When I fitted a 2.0 SEH into a B years ago I used the 1.8 dizzy drive and bracket mounted directly onto the SEH engine, as all bolt holes were there.

The Motronic Injection system on the SEH used a distributor to literally distribute a spark, with no advance etc, so all gubbings were removed from the 1.8 Dizzy.

Now I keep thinking about using a bracket to mount the 1.8 dizzy on the front of the XE engine so I can retain my heater.

BUT

I have had a few people mention that it's best to use the XE dizzy in it's correct position as it contains a cam phase sensor. But there seem to be many people that have done this.

IS IT the case that the people that have mounted the 1.8 Dizzy up front running off of the Cam sprocket have used it to distribute a spark for carbs and not the XE's injection system?

Edited by opel2000

When I fitted a 2.0 SEH into a B years ago I used the 1.8 dizzy drive and bracket mounted directly onto the SEH engine, as all bolt holes were there.

The Motronic Injection system on the SEH used a distributor to literally distribute a spark, with no advance etc, so all gubbings were removed from the 1.8 Dizzy.

Now I keep thinking about using a bracket to mount the 1.8 dizzy on the front of the XE engine so I can retain my heater.

BUT

I have had a few people mention that it's best to use the XE dizzy in it's correct position as it contains a cam phase sensor. But there seem to be many people that have done this.

IS IT the case that the people that have mounted the 1.8 Dizzy up front running off of the Cam sprocket have used it to distribute a spark for carbs and not the XE's injection system?

I don't remember anyone using the dizzy on the front with standard injection.

However, with it being you I would guess you would be one of the few that could engineer something to move it to the front lock stock and barrel. Or how about just the small cut recess JNE did?

There is always the alternative of a mapping / hack to lose that input or ignore any fault raised

I can't remember seeing a front mounted dizzy on an XE with injection.

But i think it could be done without too much hassle.

The later XE coilpack engines have a small cam sensor arrangement where the dizzy is on earlier versions.

So i think this could be fitted to your late engine, and the ecu plugged into it so its happy getting the signals it expects

Then a dizzy mounted at the front as normal, i'm not sure which dizzy would be best at the front though, maybe just a 1.8 version with the vac advance guts removed.

Oh and if you want to borrow an xe front mounted dizzy bracket to copy let me know :thumbup

Many moons ago(15 years I think..!) I ran an 1800 dizzy on the front of my XE. Because the 1800 cam pulley is different(think it's narrower or the teeth profile is different....?) what I did was have the small pulley that drives the dizzy belt machined off so it was separate, I then bolted it on to the exhaust pulley of the XE using just the retaining bolt. Worked for me.

Apart from the advance and retard mechanism the other difference was the disc with "window" on it for the hall sensor. The 1800 had 4 slots where-as the XE dizzy has 1.

The XE uses the dizzy to fine tune the ignition. The engine still runs with sensor disconected but I suspect it may be down a couple of horses or perhaps the injectors switch at the same time(not sequentially).

I've also ran the same engine with the correct dizzy fitted and I can't say I noticed any difference, Insidently I still had the standard heater as well ;)

Good luck with it, whatever route you take.

John.

Having messed about with heater boxes before, I don't really want to go heater box messing about route ever again, too much hassle.

Original thoughts were to use the XE Dizzy sited at the rear of the engine with a toothed belt coming off of the back of the cam, dizzy cap would be facin front of engine, I get the impression an oilway in the cam may need blocking off to do this, along with re-arranging the plug leads. But it could turn into a great deal of work, perhaps I should sit down and draw it all up :huh: I keep trying to find time to sift through the universal pulleys we have in the stores at work.

Other easier option would be to try and mount the XE dizzy at the front of the engine, same thoughts again by using universal type pulleys and a toothed belt, thanks Manta400John as I did not realise that was the difference with the XE Dizzy.

Many thanks for replies people

i asked H+H solutions if an xe dizzy insides can be put in a 1.8 dizzy so it could be mounted on one of bigcliffs alloy brackets. they said no problem they had done it before so you can mount dizzy up front with standard injection no problem. ;) if you wantto try i think i have a couple of 1.8 dizzies spare could post you one down free of charge :thumbup

Original thoughts were to use the XE Dizzy sited at the rear of the engine with a toothed belt coming off of the back of the cam, dizzy cap would be facin front of engine,

I tried mounting the original XE dizzy to the front bracket but because it was driven by the toothed belt and not directly off the end of the cam the spindle wore VERY quickly into the body of the dizzy.

Rutts H+H solutions idea is the way to go. :thumbup

John.